Jimy Dean

Old June 20th 10, 01:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Jimy Dean

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
Bruce wrote:
On Jun 19, 5:27 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in
On Jun 19, 5:02 pm, Bruce wrote:

On Jun 19, 4:37 pm, Mark Edwards wrote:
No cluons were harmed when Granby wrote:
There was a lot to this man who deserves better than to be called A
One Hit Wonder.
Amen! Whay you said!
Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request
One folk hero at a time, please. Some of us are still trying to figure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_Robinson

====================

A *GOOD* one!!???? You must mean a *GREAT* one, the best, finest, most
articuate, most inspired, most spiritual, deepest, most perceptive...
well,
I'm a bit prejudiced! ;

He is the one writer who combined the two passions of my life (science
fiction and dance) into a trilogy that I have read over and over again:
Stardance, Starseed, and Starmind. He is one of the most quoted writer
in
science fiction - my favorite quote of all time is from him... "If a
person
who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony
is
a felon, then God is an iron." It's why you'll sometimes see me write
"God
is an Iron" when I find something extremely ironic.

OK, I could go on for pages and pages, but you get the idea.

Hugs

CatNipped

Thanks for the explanation of your frequent quote, which shot right
over my head,
sorry. I did not enter science fiction world till viewing Dr. Who some
years ago,
but your favorite author sounds very talented.
My quotes are infrequent and usually consist of "Hi-Yo, Silver! Away!"
I might have to explain that one to *you*. Clue: he didn't sing. There
was one who did.

I assume you're speaking about Roy Rogers?

Spider Robinson is a master of Puns, irony, and humanistic fantasy. I
still giggle when I think of the story about Ralph Von WowWow, in the
Crosstime Saloon series. It is one of those series that can be read on so
many layers that it can make one want to cluck. Robinson was a disciple
of one of my other favorite Science fiction writers, Robert A Heinlein.
There is also a paean to him here on USENET, Callahan's. The posts are
too fast and furious for me to become a regular, but I coast over there at
times when I need a dose of fun and insanity.

Bruce, Spider Robinson, R A Heinlein, Piers Anthony, and Esther Freisner's
"Chick's N Chain mail" series are, in my not so humble opinion, must reads
for anyone discovering Science Fiction and/or Fantasy. One thing I've
noticed is that the very best writers tend to be owned by cats.

Pam S

Ah, yes! I'd forgotten Piers Anthony! After my husband died and my son
moved out, he and I divided the science fiction books that had mostly been
collected by my husband. I'm in the process of rereading the ones I have,
and I don't have any Piers Anthony. I must remember to borrow them from my
son the next time I see him.

Joy

Old June 20th 10, 01:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in message
On Jun 19, 5:02 pm, Bruce wrote:
[...]

And if you just want to relax and have a good laugh, you can't beat his
Callahan's Crosstime Saloon stories.

Joy

Too true, and I love the fact that he uses "Pixel", Heinlein's "The Cat Who
Walks Trhough Walls" and references/honors other great science fiction
writers in his work.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 20th 10, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

On Jun 19, 5:02 pm, Bruce wrote:

[...]

=====================

Ah no, honey-chile, I'm old as dirt! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 20th 10, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

. ..
On Jun 19, 5:02 pm, Bruce wrote:

[...]

Dang, what a time for my arm to give out, just when I want to write
volumes - as I said, science fiction is a *passion* in my life.

Kids, it's been fun, but I have to go and take some pain meds and relax a
bit or I'll pay for this in many days to come.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 20th 10, 02:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bruce

On Jun 19, 5:02 pm, Bruce wrote:

[...]

OT
Nothing against Roy Rogers, like Audie Murphy, he sang, too.
My quote is pf an earlier era, and to my knowledge never sang.
But he does have a trademark, very old, song.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCO6smQrjJ8&feature=fvw

Old June 20th 10, 02:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

the thing i liked about him was what he did for people without wanting
public recognition... if you read about him or knew his family you would
find that his public personna while somewhat flashier than some might
appreciate was just that and generally hid a rather humble giving individual
that tried to keep that part of himself more private than many of our
celebrities/politicans seem to want to do today, Lee
"Granby" wrote in message
One hit wonder my foot. That is if you only consider the one song that
crossed from country to the POP chart. He had a couple of TV shows, Gobs
of top 40 hits and acted in several movies. His last hit I. O. U. written
for his mother was a number one.

Old June 20th 10, 07:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^,,^=

I totally agree Granby..I watched his TV shows and when I read his bio, I
found he was a kind man who cared about others, and had simple, humble
beginnings, and made great sausage. He also had a great sense of humor. He
will be missed Love, Kyla

"Granby"
One hit wonder my foot. That is if you only consider the one song that
crossed from country to the POP chart. He had a couple of TV shows, Gobs
of top 40 hits and acted in several movies. His last hit I. O. U. written
for his mother was a number one.

There was a lot to this man who deserves better than to be called A One
Hit Wonder.

..

Old June 20th 10, 11:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Mark Edwards" wrote in message
No cluons were harmed when Granby wrote:

There was a lot to this man who deserves better than to be called A
One Hit Wonder.

Amen! Whay you said!

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

One has to wonder if anyone who is commenting actually met the man. I have,
and I can say with complete confidence he was a sexist jerk.

Jill

Old June 20th 10, 02:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Jun 19, 5:02 pm, Bruce wrote:

[...]

SciFi can be very subjective. What I consider great, someone else may
not. Hence the "very good" statement. Not sure if Bruce is a SciFi
fan, so it fits for him. smile
Old June 20th 10, 03:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Jun 19, 5:02 pm, Bruce wrote:

[...]

He didn't do those books alone and his co-author, wife and life
companion has recently passed away.

--
Will in New Haven