[OT] Ferret bites off baby's fingers

Old January 21st 11, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Ferret bites off baby's fingers

"Lesley" wrote in message
On Jan 11, 4:53 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Ferrets are not pets in the true sense of the word - I

Many years ago (like before he'd even met my mum) my dad was evacuated
to Somerset (he loved it and wanted to retire down there but mum
wouldn't have it) and one day he saw a ferret that had just killed a
rabbit and being an innocent "townie" he figured he'd scare the ferret
off and take the rabbit for the pot. He put his hand down and the
next thing he's having to learn some new swear words for the pain he
was in, he lifted his hand up and there was the ferret hanging onto
his thumb with it's very sharp teeth- he had a big scar on his thumb
for the rest of his life.

I asked a friend of mine about ferrets attacking children- she runs a
rodent rescue (mostly rats but some ferrets etc)
------------

Ferrets are not rodents.
--------

she said domestically
bred ferrets providing they are neutered (and a male ferret stinks if
he isn't) are quite good pets for adults but she would never rehome
one to a house with children as they should never be left for a
nanosecond unsupervised with children

Lesley
------

No they should not. I kept them for many years and would never let them
near a baby. Ever.
Mine were mostly fine with me as an adult, but I knew how to handle them.
UK ferrets are working animals, they live to kill.
It may be different in the US.
Maybe the ferrets there are different in some way.
I doubt it.
They are not suitable be around babies, anyhow.

Tweed

Old January 21st 11, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bruce

On Jan 20, 5:37*pm, "Christina Websell" wrote:
"Lesley" wrote

[...]

Well, you know what I did for my living and in spite of xraying a few
in all
my years, my contact with ferrets has been quite limited, which makes
me
no authority on their behavior. Since we are aware of what you did for
living lately: investigating and preventing child abuse and the like,
do you,
like me, wonder HTF this ferret even got near the baby and also why it
managed to stay there long enough to munch off body parts of said
baby?
I have no belief that USA ferrets differ markedly from UK ferrets.
When I
handled them at work (sneaked into my xray room by ferret-owning pals
who were concerned about some aspect of their pet's health at the
time)
you better believe my arms were looking like those police dog
trainers one
sees on tv with heavy batting/wrapped arms and the animals never got
the
clightest chance to go for my face. Whether rodents or something else,
they
got razor-sharp-looking fangs in their faces.
I could not have been less hospitable if one of the friends hauled in
a pet
alligator for me to xray (*that* might have been noticed in the ER on
entrance).
Old January 21st 11, 10:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jan 21, 12:37*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Ferrets are not rodents.

sorry should have read what I typed I know they are not rodents but
some reason when it comes to rescue she gets ferrets as well as
rodents

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs