Cat Politics

Old February 5th 05, 12:34 AM
Yowie

Default Cat Politics

I'm new to this multi-cat household thing.

Should I interfere in catly politics?

Basically, IBKFergus moved in, and right away she decided she was boss.

At the start, Shmogg just considered her an SEP[1] and went about his
business of sleeping eating sleeping sleeping eating pooing peeing and
sleeping.

But IBKFergus is persistant and insistant. She doesn't want just want to be
top cat because no-one else could be botbered, she wants to be boss and
recognised as such.

This she's beating up Shmogg, eating his food, and trying to oust him from
the spot on my bed where he purrs me to sleep.

Shmogg, bless him, has started to fight back when she attacks him, but you
can see his heart really isn't in it. He's not fighting for domination or
'top cat', he's simply trying to turn the SEP *back* into an SEP so he can
get back to doign what he does best. IBKFergus on the other hand, wants to
wrestle him and fight with him to prove the point she's boss.

I don't care much about the wrestling. Shmogg will win for quite some time
yet, when he could be bothered. What I want to know is whether I should kick
her out of Shmogg's spot next to my head and put Shmogg there, and whether
or not I should remove her from Shmogg's food (she has her own) so that
Shmogg can eat (Shmogg being an old gentleman cat and with the knowledge the
food isn't escaping, takes his time these days, but she, being young and
energetic, seems to get there first-, and once she's there, Shmogg doesn't
bap her out the way.

Mostly, though, I just want Shmogg to sleep next to my head like he's always
done,s imply because I don't sleep well if he's not there. He knows how to
sleep with me and is used to me thrashing around. He lets the bed mice sleep
in peace. He smells right, he purrs right, and he's my grey furry bed buddy.
But its obviously prime bed real estate, and IBKFergus thinks its her royal
right to be in that spot.

Should I interfere? Is there any point? Am I just siding with Shmogg because
I feel sorry for him or he's been part of my heart for so much longer than
IBKFergus? Or is this the politic sof cats, which my mere hoomin mind isn't
fit to contemplate, let alone interefere in?

I'm kinda sad that Shmogg is losing his Top Cat crown.

Advice would be welcome.

Yowie
[1] SEP - Someone Else's Problem. The principle that people only really see
what they want to see, and thus, won't actuallyr ecognise something for what
it really is if they think its someone else's problem. This also expains why
there is never any sugar in the container at work, why the photocopier never
has any paper, and the trash never seems to get taken out. They're all SEP.

Old February 5th 05, 12:35 AM
CatNipped

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

I think part of Schmogg's tolerance is because IBKFergus is still a kitten,
and like you do with kids vs. adults, cats put up with more from kittens
than they would another grown cat - this will change as IBKFergus gets
bigger (I watched this dynamic evolve with Bandit and Sammy, Bandit was
pretty tolerant when Sammy was smaller - not so much now). I also think
another part of this is because IBKFergus is female. Females tend to be
more aggressive in their home territory with *both* sexes, males with just
other males. Males tend to be cuddlier and more affectionate.

As far as whether or not you should step in - probably not a lot. Give
Schmogg lots and lots of attention and let him know he's not second in your
heart, even if he becomes second in the cat pecking order. If you want
Schmogg sleeping next to you then I would move IBKFergus, for the other
matters (unless Schmogg isn't getting enough to eat) I'd let them work it
out between themselves.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 5th 05, 12:55 AM
Annie Wxill

"Yowie" wrote in message
Mostly, though, I just want Shmogg to sleep next to my head like he's
always
done,s imply because I don't sleep well if he's not there. He knows how to
sleep with me and is used to me thrashing around. He lets the bed mice
sleep
in peace. He smells right, he purrs right, and he's my grey furry bed
buddy.
But its obviously prime bed real estate, and IBKFergus thinks its her
royal
right to be in that spot.

.... Yowie
Personally, I think your desire to have Schmogg next to your head comes
ahead of where the IBKFFergus want to sleep.
This may or may not be the best advice, but I would move Fergus, if
necessary, and make it clear that the spot near your head is Schmogg's.
I've done this with Rosie because she and I really enjoy our private snuggle
time in the evening. I like to take her upstairs with me and shut the door
so we have some "just us" time. If we start the night like that, Rosie
usually stays with me all night, although Cinder will usually join us later
after Jim comes in.
Otherwise, Cinder is on the bed with us, and Rosie stays downstairs.
Annie

Old February 5th 05, 01:11 AM
Jo Firey

To be watching this sort of thing play out is one of the most interesting
part of having pets. Jake and Molly are doing a dance very much like you
have described. In part Jake doesn't defend himself just because 1. He's
bigger 2. It isn't nice to hit girls 3. He's so secure he doesn't
realize he is being challenged. 4. He can't be bothered.

This is gradually changing with time. She has told him she raised four
kittens and she can surely handle one boycat. She just won't quit and she
just won't go away.

Mostly nobody gets hurt and we don't interfere. They share a dry food bowl.
We restrain Molly until Jake is securely at his treat bowl and she then gets
her treat bowl some distance away. And we go get him and put him in his
place between the pillows at bedtime if he doesn't come in on his own. Just
about the only thing she will get swated for is trying to nose in on his
treats and picking on him once he is settled in bed at night.

They take turns chasing each other around the house. And every once in a
while Jake will knock her over on her back and just stand there with one
foot on her chest and growl at her. He lets her up when he gets darn good
and ready. Its been three months now since we got Molly and a few days ago
for the first time I watched her wash his face while he pretended to be
asleep.

Jo

Old February 5th 05, 02:55 AM
Victor Martinez

Yowie wrote:
Should I interfere in catly politics?

Nope.

Basically, IBKFergus moved in, and right away she decided she was boss.

Of course she did. Fez has been absolute ruler even when was less than
10% of Luna's size.

Advice would be welcome.

The only advice I can give is to let them figure it out.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old February 5th 05, 05:19 AM
Karen Chuplis

I agree. For a while, Pearl kept trying to take Sugar's favorite spot on my
right ankle at night by laying between my legs. I can see the look in her
eye. She KNOWS that it will keep Sugar from her beloved ankle. So, I just
kept moving her. Now she doesn't do it. With a kitten, I'm not sure you can
get her to stay where you move her, but I would try. She will get the idea.
The other stuff they will probably figure out (except, I would let Schmogg
eat FIRST if necessary to get the point that if she wants to eat it should
be at her dish.)

Old February 5th 05, 07:44 AM
hobbs

Well Yowie This is exactly why I dont have more than one cat at a time
because I dont think I could handle it if one got jealous or picked on the
the one who was in the house first, and yet I couldn't bear to have one
think I loved the other more I'm a bit stupid that way, but I know you had
no choice but to take this baby in, and faced withe the same decision, I
would
havedone the same, just protect shmogg as much as possible and Cary too
{grinning}and keep him near your head, no not Cary Smogg of course, Henri
often found his way to my pillow and its lovely isn't it,you'll work it out
I know
Tell that IBK.Fergie if she doesn't behave herself, you'll get Fluffy to
teach her
better manners, in the nicest possible way of course Jean.

Old February 5th 05, 10:45 AM
Gabey8

I wouldn't interfere when the cats are trying to sort out their own
hierarchy between themselves.

HOWEVER. Since YOU are the Alpha Cat of this clowder, if you want to draw
the line on what IBKFergus can/can't do while the cats are establishing
who ranks where, go ahead. Such as removing her bodily if she tries to
harass Shmogg away from sleeping near your head.

I'm sure Shmogg will appreciate it, and Ms. Kitten will soon learn where
the line is drawn, and what behaviors the Alpha Cat will/won't tolerate.
When she realizes that she'll have to abide by limits you set, that should
help you enforce the rules on other issues, as well.

Donna, working on teaching the house rules to two new furballs

Old February 5th 05, 04:59 PM
Christina Websell

Just my two penn'orth.
Reinforce Shmogg is the boss. Remove IKBF from your pillow and put her in
another room with a nice bed. Ignore the cries.
Remove her bodily from Shmoggs food and return her to her own, and if she
goes back to his food put her in another room with her own food.
I've gone through all this with dogs. It's a dominance thing, and you can
break it.
It's not just a dominance thing over Shmogg, it's about you too. About "I
can do anything I want here" and that's not true. Time for some gentle
discipline for you, IKBFergie.

Tweed

Old February 5th 05, 08:16 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 11:34:54 +1100, "Yowie"
wrote:

[...]

Well, you can *try*, but there are no guarantees.

Just don't *ever* try to get into the middle of a cat fight, and don't
*ever* try to force two cats to get along. Unless you enjoy the feel
of claws and teeth in your skin.

Ginger-lyn