Ticked off, but should I be? (OT)

Old July 11th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Ticked off, but should I be? (OT)

Jofirey wrote:

The so called 'preparer' should only have signed the return if she was
paid to prepare the return (for 2007). If you didn't pay her, and I
wouldn't have, she could not and should not have signed it as 'paid
preparer'.

Jo

She *was* going to get paid. I gather from the tone of my letter (which
wasn't rude but was rather why haven't you returned my calls? Where's Mom's
paperwork?!) she figured out she wasn't going to get paid. Trust me, she
won't get a dime now. All she did was cause my mother unnecessary
aggravation and worry.

Jill

Old July 11th 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

I would certainly be ****ed off! With all that you and your family have
been through recently, you sure don't need this kind of crap to deal
with. It doesn't really matter what kind of personal stuff she was going
through at home; if she was unable to process the tax stuff in a timely
fashion she owed you at the very least a courtesy call asking to come
pick up the papers, or informing you that she was sending everything
back to you.

Best of luck in dealing with the IRS. Though Matthew's advice sounds
like it ought to get you through the mess pretty painlessly.

Dan
Old July 12th 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Matthew is right, I have seen people try and struggle with this sort of
thing by themselves. The two best points he made are, get someone assigned
to your case, and take all the stuff to a professional.

Old July 12th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

I learned the hard way I am a business I filed my 941 correctly in 2003
now for you who don't know what that is it is Employer's Quarterly Federal
Tax Return. Well you can't be charged more than $7000.00 for the year in
this for my income level. For some odd reason the person entering this said
I made 150,000.00 in my third quarter; way off it was 2000.00. Well I only
owed 283.00 for that quarter they said I owed $1500.50. After dealing
with multiple people and having multiple people, paperwork done saying it
was taken care of. 8 months later I had 1535.50 seized from my account no
notice. After 2 months of being jerked around I got an attorney who in 10
minutes got some one assigned to my case. 24 hours had it resolved and in
30 days I had a check for the amount they seized, my bank charges, my
attorney fees and interest they would charge. She was good. She told me
when there is a problem they are required to assign a case worker or
manager( not sure of the term) to your case and what they were doing was
illegal which is why I got everything I requested. 95% of the time you
don't get attorney fees back and only get bare interest about 2%

The irs is just a bunch of thieving monkeys humping a football with one
hand in the cookie jar the other trying to pull it out and a third hand
reaching in your pocket while you are watching wonder what the heck is going
on.

I just received a noticed about my 2006 saying I didn't file either my
personal or business. I called them and asked if I did not file how did I
get a return. They have it but just in case I sent a copy in.

The irs still screws my account up they changed from me filing 944 which is
filed quarterly and paid quarterly to a 940 which is filed once a year but
still paid quarterly. I get a noticed everytime I file saying I paid the
wrong one than get another notice usually the next day telling me I am
supposed to pay the other and the money is going to this account

Old July 12th 08, 05:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 11, 10:29*pm, hopitus wrote:

"Granby" wrote in message

Matthew is right, I have seen people try and struggle with this sort of
thing by themselves. *The two best points he made are, get someone
assigned to your case, and take all the stuff to a professional.
"Daniel Mahoney" wrote in message
I would certainly be ****ed off! With all that you and your family have
been through recently, you sure don't need this kind of crap to deal
with. It doesn't really matter what kind of personal stuff she was going
through at home; if she was unable to process the tax stuff in a timely
fashion she owed you at the very least a courtesy call asking to come
pick up the papers, or informing you that she was sending everything
back to you.

you Best of luck in dealing with the IRS. Though Matthew's advice sounds
like it ought to get you through the mess pretty painlessly.

Dan- Hide quoted text -

Since you asked....yes, I believe you have a perfect right to be
annoyed by the
behavior of your mother's longtime tax preparer (whatever her
qualifications are)
but have no advice re dealing with IRS re the issues she caused with
them, or
those your mother caused with them.
As previously stated, people in my family do not live long enough to -
as the
saying goes - be a problem to their family. Unless you enjoy traveling
to and
from this military island in SC, if I were in your shoes your mother
wiould be
brought to *your* choice of living area so she will not be the prey of
locals there
like the one you describe here. In my home state there are infinite
numbers of
vultures like this taking advantage of old people left alone by fate
and their only
younger survivors live far, far away, unable or unwilling to make the
trips like
you have, over and over, to rescue the elders from those who prey on
them
financially.....I realize you are tired of me saying this, but frankly
I can't see things
getting any better from your description of happenings regarding her.- Hide quoted text -

It is hard, any way you look at it, to care for an elderly parent. And
the hardest
part is getting them to let go, so to speak, and turn all their
business/banking
interests/decisions over to their children. Moms may be easier than
Dads, I don't
know. My mom died very young.
We tried it all; keeping Dad at his house and "checking" on him upteen
times a day, until we practically were living with him; tried bringing
him here. Both times
were a miserable failure. We tried putting him in the nursing home
with the closest proximity to us so that it was easier on US to visit
often. The level of care at the
nursing home wasn't good. We ended up putting him in the one with the
best
reputation, but it's a 40-mile round trip to visit. And my sister or I
have to make
the trip every day to keep him grounded. If we don't, he gets
disoriented.
It's the nightmare of the baby boomers, I'm afraid. $4300 per month
goes to the nursing home; approx. $1100 per month to the pharmacy. At
this rate I'm not sure
how many years the $$$$ is going to hold out. Frankly, I haven't done
the math because it scares me.
And again, if it were my mom, I think my sister & I could be keeping
her at home for this particular level of care. She would have been a
more cooperative patient, Dad we just couldn't handle. His most oft-
repeated phrase was "You're not the boss of me." He defers to anyone
in the medical profession; nurses, doctors, even aides. But not us.
Sherry
Old July 12th 08, 09:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

hopitus wrote:

Since you asked....yes, I believe you have a perfect right to be
annoyed by the
behavior of your mother's longtime tax preparer (whatever her
qualifications are)
but have no advice re dealing with IRS re the issues she caused with
them, or
those your mother caused with them.
As previously stated, people in my family do not live long enough to -
as the
saying goes - be a problem to their family. Unless you enjoy traveling
to and
from this military island in SC, if I were in your shoes your mother
wiould be
brought to *your* choice of living area so she will not be the prey of
locals there.

Actually, she's not on a military island I wouldn't be concerned if she
was. She and Dad built a house on one of the islands near where he retired,
21 years ago. I've got no room in my apartment for her back home. She
doesn't need to be in a nursing home. And I can't see having her move into
1 bedroom with a shared guest bath in my brother's house. He travels a lot
but even when he doesn't he works about 60 hours a week. She might as well
be by herself here rather than move into that scenario.

It's no skin off my nose to be here taking care of her. Got nothing better
to do since I haven't had any luck finding a job back there.

like the one you describe here. In my home state there are infinite
numbers of
vultures like this taking advantage of old people left alone by fate
and their only
younger survivors live far, far away, unable or unwilling to make the
trips like
you have, over and over, to rescue the elders from those who prey on
them
financially.....I realize you are tired of me saying this, but frankly
I can't see things
getting any better from your description of happenings regarding her.

That's why I'm planning to stay here. I have to work out the logistics, but
that's what's going to happen. She's turned over all the financial stuff to
me; I make sure her bills are paid. I make sure she eats. I make sure she
takes her prescriptions. I cook, I clean, I do the laundry and the shopping
and keep her company. I'm her caregiver and I have no problem with that.

What I'm going to do with this particular situation is (1) photocopy and
mail the 2006 return with the cancelled check and (2) find a reputable,
qualified tax firm to deal with the 2007 stuff. So far, the IRS hasn't
mentioned 2007 so maybe this woman did file for an extension. But it's been
my experience, even if she didn't, the IRS is generally a year behind
anyway. LOL

To add insult to injury, a big storm blew through last evening and the power
flashed off and on, briefly, twice. The circuit breaker for part of the
master bathroom blew and I can't get it to reset; it keeps tripping. Now I
have to find an electrician. sigh When it rains, it pours!

Jill

Old July 12th 08, 10:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Sherry wrote:

[...]

She's already got me handling all her financial stuff. I've got Durable
Power of Attorney (and Health Care POA). I'm a co-signator on her accounts
so I write the checks to pay her bills. She's actually relieved at not
having to deal with it anymore. I don't mind. But yeah, Dad wouldn't have
allowed it, no way, no how, even if he hadn't sunk into dementia. He had
that military "I'm in charge" mindset right up to the end.

The best thing right now is for her to stay in her home of 21 years. She
knows the area, she has friends here. Okay, so what if they're all as old
as dirt, too? LOL They're still friends. I can't see uprooting her. And
she certainly doesn't require nursing home level of care. She does have
good insurance so her prescriptions are $3 and her hospitalization in
January and subsequent doctor care was paid 100%. One less thing to worry
about.

Jill

Old July 12th 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 12, 3:48*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
hopitus wrote:

[...]

You've got a great attitude, then. Your mom is very fortunate that she
is able to
stay at home, and you're the one making that possible.
Dad is not ambulatory, and is not lucid much of the time. He is still
a big guy, 6 foot 4 and over 200 lbs. It just takes nursing
professionals to care for him. I am grateful that we finally found a
nursing home that's actually a "place to live." The other two we tried
were "a place to die", and that was so obvious. Some others we looked
at were so awful I can't even describe.
He has medicare, and a good supplement. All the hospital bills were
paid at 100%, plus 100 days of long-term nursing care. AFter that,
you're on your own, unless you have an individual, private "long term
care" policy.
Anyway, I'm glad you and Persia have settled in. This could really be
a precious time for you and your mom to spend together., too.

Sherry
Old July 12th 08, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
hopitus wrote:

[...]

Make sure the 2006 return you mail is signed.

I suspect there will be few or no problems with the 2007 return. I
believe you mentioned they paid estimates. If she doesn't owe
anything there is nothing to base a penalty on. Make sure somewhere
on the 2007 return it says deceased for your father. That can take
care of penalty problems as well.

Are there any outlets in the master bath with little red buttons in
the middle? Don't know what they are called but sometimes you have to
press them before you reset the breaker.

I'm glad you and Persia are settling in. And hope the summer isn't
terrible hot.

Jo

Old July 13th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

jmcquown wrote:

snip

I'm ticked off but I don't know if I should be. Mostly I'm just
blowing off steam, I guess. I can tell you this, she won't be doing
the 2008 taxes. I still don't know what her qualifications are. I
do know she's inexpensive which is surely why Dad chose her in the
first place over a CPA or a known tax firm. But hell, anyone can buy
a copy of TurboTax.

Dunno why you can't be both ticked off and understanding at the same time.

Anyway, not being familiar with the IRS and the US tax system, all I can
suggest is to keep everything well documented (your calls to her, you
registered letter, her response etc etc) and try to keep the IRS well
informed of what is going on - hopefully by talking to 1 paricular person (a
'caseworker'?). Our equivalent to the IRS is actually pretty reasonable,
providing it knows what is going on and that you aren't just trying to dodge
taxes. Hence, document, document, document, and keep them up to date.

Yowie