OT Mutt Update

Old December 20th 05, 08:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default OT Mutt Update

Well, I chose the new vet. One major reason was a board member from the
local humane society recommended him when I asked her earlier this month. If
he gets the PAWS seal of approval (Protective Animal Welfare Society) then
fantastic.

She was stressed to the max when we got there. I was up all night touching
her and crying so my behavior certainly didn't reassure her much . He
immediately gave her a small sedative to calm her down and he could do the
x-ray and blood work. He gave her a full physical. Her blood work came back
great, her x-rays did show the exact same, ruptured cruciate ligament. Deja
Vu four years ago.

Her kidneys, liver, lungs, heart all wonderful. For nine she's in fantastic
shape. Her knee though needs surgery tomorrow morning and hopefully by
Friday evening she'll come home.

I didn't post this part (or maybe I did) but about a month ago my truck
leaked radiator fluid complete with antifreeze during the night. I park
right by the steps she goes down to head outside. I wasn't positive she did
drink any, but I was fairly certain she didn't. It was questionable and
since it was immediately after she came in I noticed it I called our
"previous" vet. The staff informed me that if too much time...well you
know. I said yes, I realize that. But it has been less than an hour and I
had heard that *IF* you get them in immediately, it's ok. And there is a
fairly easy treatment apparently, liquid charcoal absorbs the antifreeze
toxins before they're injested. So I was instructed to bring her in. I did.
15 minutes later, at a quarter past eight, I walked through the doors and
the receptionist informed me there wasn't a vet available for at least an
hour. I'd have to wait.

What the hell? Antifreeze, time of essence, duh!?!

So no, I knew the vet was good with the surgery but I cannot trust the staff
to alert him when something may go wrong. I understand majority of the work
in the clinic depends on good technicians and caring staff. If I couldn't
get that and the vet didn't demand it, Mutt could suffer for it. It was a
hard toss up between having the knowledge that this vet could do the surgery
and hoping the staff wouldn't screw up too badly. OR putting my trust in a
respected person's opinion. I think the suggestion was golden. She was on
the money. There were animal toys in the waiting area, a resident bird that
says HI! and a resident cat that knows no stranger. And it was very apparent
the house 30 feet from the clinic belonged to vet and wife/receptionist.

I feel good about a decision I really worried about making. But I figured
the worst case, I yank my babydog away from the crazy people and go back to
our "previous" vet and just be out an hour wasted experiment.

Grace

Old December 20th 05, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2005-12-20, Gracecat penned:
Well, I chose the new vet. One major reason was a board member from
the local humane society recommended him when I asked her earlier
this month. If he gets the PAWS seal of approval (Protective Animal
Welfare Society) then fantastic.

She was stressed to the max when we got there. I was up all night
touching her and crying so my behavior certainly didn't reassure her
much . He immediately gave her a small sedative to calm her down
and he could do the x-ray and blood work. He gave her a full
physical. Her blood work came back great, her x-rays did show the
exact same, ruptured cruciate ligament. Deja Vu four years ago.

Her kidneys, liver, lungs, heart all wonderful. For nine she's in
fantastic shape. Her knee though needs surgery tomorrow morning and
hopefully by Friday evening she'll come home.

I'm so glad to hear that she's doing well, and that it sounds like
you've found a great new vet.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old December 20th 05, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Gracecat" wrote in message
[...]

I'm *SO* glad it's something can be fixed. Purrs coming for a successful
surgery and a swift and complete recovery.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 20th 05, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I hope by now the surgery is done and that she is settling in nicely. I
don't recall what breed type she is, but some of them are extremely
susceptible to "football knee". Both of my mom's poodles had to have knee
surgery, one of them several times. Two of mine did as well, the first one
I think three times. It isn't terribly invasive surgery as they are just
reattaching the ligament in the "knee". Not really anymore dangerous than
having their teeth cleaned.

So I know how you feel, been there. But she really should be just fine in
no time. Make sure you get an e collar for her. I doubt you will have to
use it, but if you don't have one she will start gnawing at her bandages
right after the vet closes for the night.

Jo

Old December 20th 05, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
I'm *SO* glad it's something can be fixed. Purrs coming for a successful
surgery and a swift and complete recovery.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Thanks CN

Incidentally she didn't ingest any antifreeze obviously, to my great relief.
(I parked way away from her roaming grounds until it was fixed as well)

She's bouncy, she wanted to go OUTSIDE (her favorite word) last night and
this morning with DH. She inhaled turkey so her appetite is good and she
didn't run a fever which she has done from being so stressed. He gave her an
antibiodic shot, a steriod and a mild sedative for today and a pain pill for
tonight. She should be as close to 100% as she can be until surgery
tomorrow.

I think he was pleased how quickly she came out of the "drugged" part of her
sedative this morning. She didn't have too much of a glazed look. She was
relaxed but still "perky" before we left. So it's all pointing to good news.
I was just a basket case, and still very nervous.

She's resting now comfortably and soundly. Which is what we were shooting
for, for the rest of the day.

Incidentally, the "previous" vet has never done a dental on her ever and I
mentioned this to Dr. B today. He said not a problem and did a quick
cleaning while she was under for X-rays. So she really got a thorough
check-up. I think probably the most thorough she's ever had. He even gave
me a copy of his test results, bloodwork numbers and such. I told him he
should receive several lab results from my requested blood work the last
three years or so. But right now I may be fighting with our previous vet to
release her health information. They requested it and nothing has been seen
or heard from the former clinic yet.

Grace

Old December 20th 05, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Gracecat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I know what a wreck worrying about a pet can make you - I'm just glad you
can quit worrying soon (I'll give you until after her surgery before
starting! ;). I'm also glad you found a good vet.

Regarding her records, you might want to just go to their office and ask for
immediate copies and bring them over yourself.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 20th 05, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Hey Jo, I will. The last time this happened, she chewed the stitches within
three or four days He said ordinarily he'd request to see her Monday but
since we're boarding her Wednesday during a three day trip, he'll hold off.
I suggested not because he'll need Monday to restitch what she rips out. He
gave her a "look" and said in that case, he'll just lightly bandage it and
I'm to pick up a satellite collar at Petsmart just in case.

The surgery is first thing tomorrow morning. He sent her home with some pain
meds and a steroid to bring down swelling a bit tonight.

Thanks for all the good wishes ya'll. It helps. I was miserable last night.
The days have slowly become worse and worse for the month. This couldn't
have come at a worse time considering our stress already.

Grace

Old December 20th 05, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Gracecat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

That's my plan come 5pm, one hour before closing time.

Grace

Old December 20th 05, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I'm so glad Mutt is/will be ok. Congrats on your new vet, and purrs for
an uneventful and successful surgery tomorrow.

-Caroline S.

Old December 20th 05, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Gracecat wrote:
Well, I chose the new vet. One major reason was a board member from
the local humane society recommended him when I asked her earlier
this month. If he gets the PAWS seal of approval (Protective Animal
Welfare Society) then fantastic.

She was stressed to the max when we got there. I was up all night
touching her and crying so my behavior certainly didn't reassure her
much . He immediately gave her a small sedative to calm her down
and he could do the x-ray and blood work. He gave her a full
physical. Her blood work came back great, her x-rays did show the
exact same, ruptured cruciate ligament. Deja Vu four years ago.

Her kidneys, liver, lungs, heart all wonderful. For nine she's in
fantastic shape. Her knee though needs surgery tomorrow morning and
hopefully by Friday evening she'll come home.

snip
Grace

I'm relieved to hear that, though very painfull, Mutt's condition isn't life
threatening, and can be treated. Purrs for the surgery to smoothly and for
Mutt to have many more, happy healthy years.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

OneTrueHome update Harri Cat community 8 November 27th 04 01:03 AM
ANOTHER UPDATE UPDATE Tomorrow Adrian Cat anecdotes 2 August 6th 04 07:27 PM
Cat Hostile to Friend After Neuter. Why? UPDATE Robyn Cat health & behaviour 8 May 6th 04 04:25 AM
Update on Tiffany & New Pictures. Flippy Cat anecdotes 21 February 1st 04 05:52 PM
Nice Update on B5's creator, J.Michael Straczynski & Buddy the cat Christine Burel Cat anecdotes 8 January 19th 04 11:01 AM