Surprisingly Aggressive Behavior by Older Kitten Towards New Kitten

Old June 23rd 04, 02:56 PM
Jonny R

Default Surprisingly Aggressive Behavior by Older Kitten Towards New Kitten

We currently have a 6 month old ragdoll cat (Hummy - male) who's been
with us for 3 months now. On Monday we brought back home a 3 month
old ragdoll cat (Normy - male) that we purchased from the same
breeder. We were expecting for things to go fairly smoothly given
that:

*Hummy is only 6 months old
*has only been in with us for only 3 months
*was raised by a breeder who had 20 other cats (and he got along well
with the other cats)
*both cats are neutered
*both cats are from the same breeder
*Hummy has always been very non-aggressive and very social with people

But we are astonished to see the degree of hostility that Hummy has
towards Normy. On day 1 even though we made sure to pay a lot of
attention to Hummy and not try anything to get him jealous, he hissed
and growled all day after seeing Normy for the first time, and hissed
at us when he would smell Normy's scent on our hands. He would even
growl while eating, even while playing with us with toys!

Normy isn't showing any aggressive behavior at all. It actually
doesn't appear that he knows that the other cat is angry at him.

On day 2 Hummy is a little better, but still aggressive. He only
growls and hisses whenever he sees Normy (on day 1 he growled all day
long). He also no longer hisses if he smells Normy on our hands. But
he still gets very upset and hisses and appears aggressive whenever he
sees Normy.

Up to now we've been keeping both cats in separate rooms, both using
separate litter boxes and food/water dishes. The older cat has access
to the whole house, and the younger one has access to only 1 room at a
time. There's been a couple of occasions when both cats have been in
the same room at the same time (either Normy escaping the room or
Hummy getting into the room) and at 1 occasion Hummy striked Normy's
back with his paw - although he did not use his claws.

Anyways, my question is whether its normal for such a young cat to be
so upset towards a new cat, and how long in general does it take
before both cats can live with one another.

Although Hummy is only 6 months old, he looks almost like an adult
cat, while Normy looks very much like a small kitten. I would guess
that Hummy is probably close to 10 lbs. So I'm not sure if he's
simply being a bully given that the other cat is much smaller than
him.
Old June 23rd 04, 03:38 PM
Wendy

"Jonny R" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Sounds normal to me. I'd continue to keep them in separate areas and
gradually let them get used to each other's smell in the house. When a
glimpse of each other no longer brings on the hissing you can let them
interact more. As you've noticed things are improving already. I wouldn't
anticipate the adjustment taking too long but be patient and let the cats
determine the pace.

Old June 23rd 04, 04:22 PM
Karen

Report back same time next week. I bet you have two cats that at least
tolerate each other by then
om...

Old June 24th 04, 02:18 PM
Jonny R

"Karen" wrote in message ...
Report back same time next week. I bet you have two cats that at least
tolerate each other by then

Actually things are already going much better. Last night we were in
the basement with Normy (the younger kitten) watching TV with him on
the couch, and Hummy suddenly walked downstairs and after a few
minutes spotted Normy on the couch, but didn't hiss or anything.
After about 2 minutes he quickly ran up to Normy, sniffed his butt and
ran 5 feet away. But he didn't hiss, growl, or look aggressive. This
got Normy curious who then jumped off the couch and slowly walked
towards Hummy (while we watched on cautiously). They both approached
each other carefully and kind of circled around one another a bit,
getting closer then jumping away. Then finally to my surprise I saw
Hummy (the older cat) flop down to his side and shaking his paws at
Normy, looking to play. To our delight both cats then played together
for about 15 minutes. There were a couple of occasions where Hummy
got a little rough and Normy made a small noise, but nothing bad.
However after about 15 minutes it looked like Normy didn't want to
play anymore and walked away, and Hummy suddenly got upset (perhaps
because he still wanted to play) and started growling. He then spent
about 3 minutes somewhat chasing Normy around and biting him (not
hard, but not gently either) so that's when we decided to intervene
and separated the two, and kept them separated over night.

As of this morning Hummy growled at Normy a little, but nothing too
bad.

On a separate note though, we are taking Normy to the vet today
because this morning he went to the litter box 4-5 times within a 3
hour time span and had very liquid poo, that had traces of blood on
the surface. We are not sure what this is about (he still looks and
acts normal). He did get neutered about 8 days ago, so I'm not sure
if this is a result of that. But we aren't taking any chances so he's
going to the vet.
Old June 24th 04, 02:29 PM
Karen

"Jonny R" wrote in message
"Karen" wrote in message

[...]

May be a little stressed. Ask the vet for some Feliway or stop at the local
pet store. It may also help introductions go better. Keep us posted

Old June 25th 04, 01:25 PM
Jonny R

"Karen" wrote in message ...
May be a little stressed. Ask the vet for some Feliway or stop at the local
pet store. It may also help introductions go better. Keep us posted

The vet examined him, took a fecal sample. The test results found
nothing abnormal. She attributed the bleeding and diarrhoea to stress
from the move and change in food. She gave us some antibiotics just
in case. If he's still having blood in his feces by Monday we are to
bring him back, or if he is to have a sudden change in health (i.e.
not eating anymore, looking sick) we are to bring him back right away.

On another note, last night Hummy and Normy were playing together, and
after their wrestling match I had noticed that Normy's was keeping his
left eye half-shut, and it looked teary (if that's even a word). This
morning I noticed a small circular film on top of his eye. Perhaps
half of the size of a pencil eraser head. It doesn't seem to bother
him though. I'm not sure what it is but I'm wondering if perhaps its
simply a scratch wound from yesterday's battle with Hummy.

Hummy seems to always overpower him and pin him down while wrestling,
with his mouth either around his neck or his belly. And Normy screams
(meows) a lot when this happens. However when Hummy lets him go
(sometimes we almost have to pry him off) Normy often rushes back to
Hummy.
Old June 25th 04, 02:39 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

On another note, last night Hummy and Normy were playing together, and
after their wrestling match I had noticed that Normy's was keeping his
left eye half-shut, and it looked teary (if that's even a word). This
morning I noticed a small circular film on top of his eye. Perhaps
half of the size of a pencil eraser head. It doesn't seem to bother
him though. I'm not sure what it is but I'm wondering if perhaps its
simply a scratch wound from yesterday's battle with Hummy.

This can be an indication of one of the varieties of upper respiratory
infections. Many, many kittens catch URIs at the pet store, cattery, or
even at the vet. You'll see lots of kittens at the shelter with them,
too. Any place there's lots of cats, URIs spread like wildfire. You
mentioned the breeder has +20 cats, so it's possible he caught something
there. Some URIs can be carried - infected adult cats that show no
symptoms can still pass it to other cats.

Keep an eye on him. Most URIs are beaten by the cat's own immune system,
much like a human beats a cold, but some can get serious, especially if
he isn't eating or drinking well. If his nose stuffs up, he may lose his
appetite because he can't smell his food. As long as he's eating well,
and drinking plenty of water, he should be fine. Do take him to the vet
again if his eye doesn't get better in a couple days or if his symptoms
worsen. My motto has always been 'better safe than sorry'.

Glad to hear the boys seem to be getting on pretty well, though.

~kaeli~
Why do people who know the least know it the loudest?
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old June 25th 04, 02:39 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Old June 25th 04, 02:39 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Guest Cat & Kitten LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 10th 04 02:08 PM
Gem the Gray Kitten (long) Annie Benson-Lennaman Cat anecdotes 21 August 25th 03 01:02 AM
Crying kitty/introducing new kitten to cat Fred Cat health & behaviour 6 July 16th 03 08:11 AM