Lucky is acting territorial

Old December 23rd 04, 10:36 PM
raenee

Default Lucky is acting territorial

My mum has come down to my house for awhile to celebrate christmas, and
she dicided to bring her cat(which has it's own issues, but I'm not
going to go into that) Anyways, Lucky has been acting really
territorial... She hisses and growls at tribble(mum's cat) and doesn't
want to be near anyone who's touched tribble. I'm sure I know why she's
spazzing out so much, so I just want a few tips and gradually easing
her stress and tips on getting her to accept strange cats better in the
future.

To cover why I think she's flipping out so much... I got her at two
days, when she was really little. My aunt decided it would be a good
idea to get a cat also, and she got one that was about a month old.
When lucky was big enough to walk around and whatnot, my aunt insisted
I take her over to visit eve(my aunts cat) Eve, at that point, was a
bouncing cat who liked to play with everything that moved and Lucky
moved. Understand, from the second it first happened, I Never approved
of what was happening. My cat would scream and try to get away and Eve
would be estatic that the new "toy" was being "playful" This happened
one or two other days when Lucky was little. That whole episode is what
I think is primarily responsible for her territorialness, but I would
really like to train her out of it.

Sooo... Any tips and advice would be really helpful!
Thanks much in advance

Old December 23rd 04, 11:02 PM
Mathew Kagis

"raenee" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

When I first brought Muscat home, Chablis was relentleesly stalking him &
beating him up. I stumbled on the idea of giving them both a bath.... It
seemed to work. After bathing them, one after the other, I took them both &
curled up on the couch with a blanket.
They huddled together under it, shivering & grooming themselves. I got
up & made dinner, leaving them under a blanket-tent on the couch. By the
time I finnished eating, they were curled up in a damp little ball together,
asleep. Ever since then, they have been acting like litter mates.
Hope this helps.
--
Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat

Old December 23rd 04, 11:05 PM
raenee

wow... That sounds like that would do it. Kindof a "The enemy(each
other) of my enemy(water) is my friend" type of deal. Not too bad, I'll
ask mum if I can soak her cat Thanks much

Old December 24th 04, 12:19 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-23, raenee penned:
[...]

It's possible this is why she doesn't care for Tribble. It's also possible
she just doesn't care for cats. Can you keep the cats in separate areas of
the house? After all, they don't need to get along for the rest of their
lives; just for a few days, right?

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream DLH
with an attitude!

Old December 24th 04, 02:32 AM
raenee

nah, I can't keep them in seperate areas... We only have one cat box
and that's in my room. They seem to be doing pretty ok, though...
They're not playing with each other, but they're also not messing with
each other.

Old December 24th 04, 11:54 PM
raenee

they're doing a bit better... They had a little confrontation under the
bed, but it was brief. Lucky was rooting under the bed and before she
knew it, she found tribble... After a couple seconds of staring at each
other, Lucky stuck one paw at out and poked tribble in the side. Then
they both hissed a bit, looked at each other again, and went about
their own business. I was moderating from the side of the bed, so it
was all ok. *poke*

Old December 25th 04, 06:14 PM
Mary

"raenee" wrote in message
oups.com...
nah, I can't keep them in seperate areas... We only have one cat box
and that's in my room. They seem to be doing pretty ok, though...
They're not playing with each other, but they're also not messing with
each other.

Just give it time. In most cases the cats work it out with nothing more
than some posturing and noisemaking.