Somewhat OT - spiders

Old October 14th 10, 12:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Default Somewhat OT - spiders

I have always been sort of creeped out by spiders. About 11 years ago,
I worked at a water park. One day there was a huge spider at one of the
slide splashdowns. It was about 4 or 5 inches across. I killed it. A
few days later my tuxedo cat IKE disappeared. Karma? I never kill
spiders any more. When I see one in the house, I carefully capture it
in a jar and set it free outside. I don't know if they can survive
outside in the winter but I give them the chance.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old October 14th 10, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I have always been sort of creeped out by spiders. About 11 years ago,
I worked at a water park. One day there was a huge spider at one of the
slide splashdowns. It was about 4 or 5 inches across. I killed it. A
few days later my tuxedo cat IKE disappeared. Karma? I never kill
spiders any more. When I see one in the house, I carefully capture it
in a jar and set it free outside. I don't know if they can survive
outside in the winter but I give them the chance.
----------
Big spiders are the one thing that creep me out too, I am OK with anything
else.
I figure that it's not their fault I don't like them, and I would hate to
kill them so I've devised a method to catch them so I can put them outside.
I can't do the glass over them with cardboard slipped underneath as it makes
them run up into the glass and I drop it in horror.
So, it's the big fluffy towel, gather the spider up inside it, and shake the
towel outside.
I have a spider that has set up home on my kitchen windowsill, she's been
there for a couple of weeks and has built a typical house spider web between
my spice jars. I know she's a girl by her thingies that poke out in front of
her, boys have lumps on them.
That does not help as she is a big girl, too big for me to deal with.
I need to evict her and must gird my loins soon as I am fed up with her
eyeballing me when I have my breakfast ;-)
Tweed

Old October 14th 10, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

I have a spider that has set up home on my kitchen windowsill, she's been
there for a couple of weeks and has built a typical house spider web between
my spice jars. I know she's a girl by her thingies that poke out in front of
her, boys have lumps on them.
That does not help as she is a big girl, too big for me to deal with.

I would guess so!! Any spider that's big enough for you to determine her
gender is too big for me.

Joyce

--
A conservative is one who admires radicals centuries after they're dead.
-- Leo Rosten
Old October 14th 10, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

hopitus wrote:

If, however, I do see a spider (only kind I see
here are pretty much black widows and small nondescript types) I go
into action to
save it from the Snaginator Mighty Hunter, who is an indoor-only kinda
cat.

If it's a black widow, I'd say you're saving the Snaginator from the
spider rather than the other way around. You don't want him to get bitten
by one of those.

Old October 14th 10, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

Just did a web search... dogs are virtually immune to redback venom, and
AFAIK, redbacks are just an antipodean cousin to your black widows. Cats are
still far less effected by spider bites, weight for weight, than human
beings (including your brown recluse), but can still show some nasty,
although rarely fatal, effects.

There was a guy who used to post here who lost a few cats because of an
infestation of brown recluse spiders in his house. I don't remember exactly
where he lived, but it was in the USA. It was a really sad story as I
remember.

Joyce

--
There is no alternative to being yourself.
Old October 15th 10, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

I have a spider that has set up home on my kitchen windowsill, she's
been
there for a couple of weeks and has built a typical house spider web
between
my spice jars. I know she's a girl by her thingies that poke out in
front of
her, boys have lumps on them.
That does not help as she is a big girl, too big for me to deal with.

I would guess so!! Any spider that's big enough for you to determine her
gender is too big for me.

she's big but soon I have to catch her and put her outside. I have to be
brave about it. She's very happy where she is but I am not.
Tweed

Old October 15th 10, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral[_2_]

On Oct 14, 3:30*pm, wrote:
hopitus wrote:

* If, however, I do see a spider (only kind I see
* here are pretty much black widows and small nondescript types) I go
* into action to
* save it from the Snaginator Mighty Hunter, who is an indoor-only kinda
* cat.

If it's a black widow, I'd say you're saving the Snaginator from the
spider rather than the other way around. You don't want him to get bitten
by one of those.

--
A conservative is one who admires radicals centuries after they're dead.

Black widows are nasty--you don't want them around, period. Maybe
cats are more immune to their bite than humans, but why risk it?
They're poisonous enough to send an adult human to the hospital.

I'm cool with spiders outside. Most of them are harmless, beneficial,
even and they have a place in the whole ecosystem. BUT, if I find one
INSIDE it has crossed battle lines!

Melissa