FDA Requests Seizure of Animal Food Products at PETCO Distribution Center

Old June 20th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

Default FDA Requests Seizure of Animal Food Products at PETCO Distribution Center

If you live in Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky,
Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma,
Tennessee, Texas, or Wisconsin, you might to read this.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2008/NEW01854.html

This may apply to all Petco's petfood storage facilities.

Old June 21st 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Outsider

wrote in
:

"Phil P." wrote in news:EIU6k.33$9J.29@trnddc06:

If you live in Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky,
Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma,
Tennessee, Texas, or Wisconsin, you might to read this.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2008/NEW01854.html

This may apply to all Petco's petfood storage facilities.

Uh-oh. Would you suggest throwing away the Fancy Feast I just bought
at a NY Petco? I was thinking the same thing you were. If the
quality control at one distribution center isn't up to par, how can we
trust the other centers? I'm upset to read this because I know that
Petco's allocate space to cat adoption shelters and seem to be a very
animal friendly company.

Can the canned food be contaminated even if they're all sealed?

No, wash the cans before opening them if you are worried. The can would
need to be rotted through to be a problem.

Andy
Old June 21st 08, 08:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote in news:EIU6k.33$9J.29@trnddc06:

If you live in Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky,
Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma,
Tennessee, Texas, or Wisconsin, you might to read this.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2008/NEW01854.html

This may apply to all Petco's petfood storage facilities.

Uh-oh. Would you suggest throwing away the Fancy Feast I just bought at a

NY
Petco?

Naa. I'd just wash the cans.

I was thinking the same thing you were. If the quality control at
one distribution center isn't up to par, how can we trust the other

centers?
I'm upset to read this because I know that Petco's allocate space to cat
adoption shelters and seem to be a very animal friendly company.

All that is just PR.

Can the canned food be contaminated even if they're all sealed?

Not unless the cans are rusted through or punctured.

Phil

Old June 21st 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Aren't the cans wrapped in plastic and cardboard when they are sent from the
manufacturer and therefore, would be that way in the distribution center? I
buy canned food from PetCo (just bought some yesterday) and the cans looked
fine. A lot of the canned food is still wrapped up on the shelves...I think
the store employees are the ones that take it out of the packaging when they
are stocking the shelves.

S.
---

Old June 21st 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
. ..
Aren't the cans wrapped in plastic and cardboard when they are sent from

the
manufacturer and therefore, would be that way in the distribution center?

buy canned food from PetCo (just bought some yesterday) and the cans

looked
fine. A lot of the canned food is still wrapped up on the shelves...I

think
the store employees are the ones that take it out of the packaging when

they
are stocking the shelves.

If the distribution center is contaminated, the packaging that the cans are
in can also be contaminated. Handlers can spread the bacteria and other
creepy crawlers to the cans when they open the cases and stock the shelves.

Old June 22nd 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Guess I'll wash the cans. FYI, when I was in PetCo, they had a whole
display of Wellness food set up.

S.
---
wrote in message
"blkcatgal" wrote in
:

Aren't the cans wrapped in plastic and cardboard when they are sent from
the manufacturer and therefore, would be that way in the distribution
center? I buy canned food from PetCo (just bought some yesterday) and
the cans looked fine. A lot of the canned food is still wrapped up on
the shelves...I think the store employees are the ones that take it out
of the packaging when they are stocking the shelves.

Take a closer look at the "wrapped" Fancy Feast cardboard cases that
haven't
been opened. There are open spaces on that cardboard box of 24 cans ( 2
layers of 12 cans separated by a piece of cardboard). It's not completely
sealed. I think they ship like that to all retailers because I always
check the side of the box for the expiration date (as well as the bottom
of
the can) and I've seen them at other pet food stores. I don't know why
Fancy
Feast can't ship the cans in completely closed boxes.

We keep hearing about the greening of America from all our politicians
(who
fly on airplanes and use SUV's like they're going out of style), yet
unless
we get some warehouse workers and cleaners who care about these products
and
our animals, we're going to need pet food shipped in hermetically sealed,
steel containers!

Petco is proudly announcing that they're going to be selling the
"Wellness"
brand. Let's hope that they put in a major order for Mr. Clean (or
Simple
Green for the environmentally minded) before they stock those warehouse
shelves.

What worries me is that most smaller pet food stores can't afford to hire
porter, so one must wonder what their storage rooms look like.