Litter box stuff

Old August 20th 13, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default Litter box stuff

buglady wrote:
On 8/19/2013 1:03 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
The only ones I was able to find online are as deep as they are long
and wide. Where can I get them that are shallow enough to expect a
cat to go into them?

.............They're storage boxes. Some are very large with shallow
sides, made to be stuffed under a bed. Check out dollar stores and
discount places.
http://www.sterilite.com/ProductCate...y=17&section=1

buglady
take out the dog before replying

I like that 40 x 20 inch one with the latching cover. (the 67 quart one for
under the bed storage) I think I could get a small air pump or fan and vent
it to the outside through a vacuum cleaner hose or similar duct pipe. If the
air motion was slow enough so it didn't spook the cats..... I could use a
low wattage muffin fan. below 15 watts they are pretty quiet.....

Old August 20th 13, 02:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Mack A. Damia wrote:
On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 18:32:57 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

buglady wrote:
On 8/19/2013 1:03 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
The only ones I was able to find online are as deep as they are
long and wide. Where can I get them that are shallow enough to
expect a cat to go into them?

.............They're storage boxes. Some are very large with
shallow sides, made to be stuffed under a bed. Check out dollar
stores and discount places.
http://www.sterilite.com/ProductCate...y=17&section=1

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Well, since my cats are outside cats, one wonders why I would need a
litter box at all. But cats (as we well know) are strange animals,
and if one uses a litter box, then the rest will use it so they
won't, "miss out" on something. They will also tend to use them
during the rainy season when they hate getting wet. It is hard to
keep the odor down to a manageable level......

The girls' covered box is in a closet in my bedroom; the closet has
saloon-type doors, so access is not a problem. I occasionally smell a
foul odor ("Bubba, what have you been eating?") but I keep a container
of extra-strength Febrize close by. One or two sprays, and it does the
job.

.....Beats having your olfactory nerves removed.... I do like the Fabrize
idea...

Old August 20th 13, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chaniarts[_2_]

On 8/19/2013 6:47 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
buglady wrote:
[...]

if you like pushing all your heated/conditioned air outside. sounds like
a large cost. perhaps you can get something that kicks on 60 seconds
after use for a couple of minutes and then shuts off.

friend of mine moved her litter boxes to the garage, cut a hole in the
wall and installed a flap door. the garage had a large doghouse fronted
to the flap door and the doghouse door enlarged to match the flap door,
and the roof lifted off.

this moved the odor and dust out of the house, and the garbage can was
next to the doghouse so it was easy to keep clean. if necessary, the
doghouse can be hosed out as the water drains down the driveway.

Old August 20th 13, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

buglady wrote:
[...]

Yes. The garage is a good idea. My cats are all outside cats, and one of
their escape routes is through a cat door into the garage, and then through
a cat door through the big garage door (when it is down) to the driveway. I
could just put the litter box next to the garbage can in the garage. Of
course, my car would smell like cat pee, but what the hell......