The world ended. Did you notice?

Old June 17th 04, 02:08 PM
Kreisleriana

Default The world ended. Did you notice?

It was a little past midnight, and I had the con. I was saving the
world. All right, I was sitting at the puter, playing BounceOut. THe
world needs to be saved from exploding rubber balls, after all.

Stinky comes along and sits at my feet. YOO-OOOOW! he says. Pet me,
Mommy. I reach down with one hand to pet him, but where's his head?
I see. He has descended into meatloaf position. I can't reach him
*and* save the world from the rubber balls! Does he care about the
desperate situation? NO! YOOO-OOOWW! he says from meatloaf. MOMMY!
PET ME!

Now, there is the First Officer's Chair for such situations. He can
sit there, and I can reach him with one hand to skritch him as I
continue to save the world (and rack up a pretty impressive score,
too) . I pause the game --yes, I know you can't do that when the
world is really in danger, and I can't do it more than once-- and
scoop the little stinker up into the First Officer's Chair. Most of
the time, he's got no problem sitting there while I click away. This
time-- NO (YOW!) He needs absolute, incontrovertible proof of my
serfdom. He jumps back down, resumes the same place, meatloafed next
to my right foot. YOOOOOOW! I lean over and touch the top of his
head.

BOOOOOOOM!

Theresa
Old June 17th 04, 03:16 PM
jmcquown

Kreisleriana wrote:
[...]

ROFL!!! I swear I think I heard something shortly after midnight. And I
can't see the sun this morning. Hmmmm.

Jill

Old June 18th 04, 01:28 AM

Kreisleriana wrote:

It was a little past midnight, and I had the con.

Ooooooo, an opportunity to ask something I've been wondering about
for years! I remember from Star Trek that when Kirk would go off to
investigate something, he'd leave Spock in charge things on the
bridge. As he was on his way out, he'd say, "Spock, you have the con."

*What does that mean*???

I used to think he was saying, "You have the comm", as in, the *command*.
So is "con" short for control?

Joyce