Can you save by buying Advantage flea control for dogs and using smaller dosage for cats?

Old June 10th 07, 12:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
James

Default Can you save by buying Advantage flea control for dogs and using smaller dosage for cats?

On Jun 9, 12:44 pm, Ted Davis wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 00:47:18 GMT, "Garret Swayne"

wrote:
Here's another question...Can you do this with Frontline Plus as well? I've
heard it's actually a better product than
Advantage, in that it works against ticks too. Can I buy the "large-dog"
product and dole out smaller "cat-sized" doses to my feline? Would anyone
know the dosage size?

I use Frontline Plus on my fifteen indoor/outdoor rural cats. I have
a severe tick issue due to all the wildlife and cattle in the area.
About twice a year I buy two or three six-packs of the largest dog
size from an Australian vendor (deadfleaz.com). Then I empty a tube
into a small glass bottle with a wide mouth and a tightly sealing lid.
I use 2 cc syringes to meter the doses: 0.5 cc for an average cat and
a bit more (about 0.7) for my two largest (and a bit less - maybe 0.35
or 0.4 cc for my two smallest). The biggest drawback is that the
numbers come off the syringes - I scratch the barrels at the two
dosage points and keep them visible by filling them with permanent
markers. Even counting shipping, this keeps the cost per cat per
month to around a US dollar, and keeps the fleas under almost complete
control, and the ticks to the point where for the first three weeks I
remove almost entirely dead ticks from the cats - they do bring in a
few live ones on the outside of their fur and these sometimes find me,
but I almost always feel them before they attach. Anyway, it's a good
thing that these are almost all cattle ticks, not deer ticks, even
though there is a large local deer population (even the deer have
almost exclusively cattle ticks).

I buy the bottles and syringes from http://www.sciplus.com/
(American Science and Surplus, and yes, there is a connection with
Ken's use of the same vendor).

--
T.E.D. ) Remove "gearbox.maem" to get real address - that one is dead

Does pulling of dead ticks usually leave a scar or scab?

Old June 10th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Ted Davis

wrote:
[...]

Hard to tell through the fur, but I find them mostly by feel, and I
don't seem to keep going back to the same places. The cats don't seem
to have much of an allergic reaction to ticks, but I definitely do.

--
T.E.D. ) Remove "gearbox.maem" to get real address - that one is dead
Old June 11th 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Professor

wrote:
[...]

Never let your cat outside and you'll never have to pull any more ticks.

Old June 11th 07, 08:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
William Graham

"Professor" wrote in message

Never let your cat outside and you'll never have to pull any more ticks.

Pardon me, but pulling a few ticks is a small price to pay for
freedom.......

You would live a much safer life if you were confined to a padded cell,
too.........

Old June 11th 07, 09:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Nicolaas Hawkins

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 00:46:37 -0700, William Graham
wrote in :

"Professor" wrote in message

Never let your cat outside and you'll never have to pull any more ticks.

Pardon me, but pulling a few ticks is a small price to pay for
freedom.......

You would live a much safer life if you were confined to a padded cell,
too.........

Sounds like a scheme...

--
Nicolaas.

2007 Pricelessware CD now available. 600Mb of the best of the best in
Freeware. E-Mail me for details.

.... Computers make it easier to do a lot of things - most of which didn't
really need to be done.
Old June 11th 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Ted Davis

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 04:03:53 GMT, "Professor"
wrote:

Does pulling of dead ticks usually leave a scar or scab?

Hard to tell through the fur, but I find them mostly by feel, and I
don't seem to keep going back to the same places. The cats don't seem
to have much of an allergic reaction to ticks, but I definitely do.

Never let your cat outside and you'll never have to pull any more ticks.

You try living with fifteen strictly indoor cats in about a thousand
square feet of space. Especially when a number of them originated as
barn cats.

--
T.E.D. )
Remove "gearbox.maem." from address - that one is dead
Old June 11th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Professor

"William Graham" wrote in message
. ..

"Professor" wrote in message

Never let your cat outside and you'll never have to pull any more ticks.

Pardon me, but pulling a few ticks is a small price to pay for
freedom.......

You would live a much safer life if you were confined to a padded cell,
too.........

I have never let my retire show cats outside, they have no idea what they're
missing, and haver no desire to go out. Ticks can give your cat illnesses
that can kill, but obviously you don't care.

Old June 11th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
William Graham

"Professor" wrote in message news:uEhbi.7711

I have never let my retire show cats outside, they have no idea what
they're
missing, and haver no desire to go out. Ticks can give your cat illnesses
that can kill, but obviously you don't care.

Well, it all depends on one's philosophy of life (and death) doesn't it? - I
have noticed that liberals think life is the most important thing there is,
and are willing to give up their, (and MY!) freedom for it any old time.
But to me, death is always waiting there in the wings, and it really
doesn't matter whether you live five minutes or 500 years....To the infinite
period of time that is (apparently) part of this universe, it doesn't
matter....What matters to me is the enjoyment one gets while one is here,
and not the extent of that brief period of time.
Perhaps your cats are happy, and I am quite willing to buy that. But
mine wouldn't be, because they were all "outside" cats to begin with. I
didn't go out and get any of them. They all just wandered in because they
liked the smell of my property, and the cut of my jib. They will stay for a
while, and then wander off, never to be seen (by me) again. - I have learned
to accept that, even though I will never be really comfortable with it. I
didn't design this universe.....I just learned to live in (and with) it.
Bill Graham, Salem, Oregon

Old June 11th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Matthew

Lets not start this debate again. It is getting old and tiresome. Everyone
has their opinion about this it has been going on for years. You are not
going to change the other person opinion all it is going to do is start a
bunch of BS. SO KNOCK IT OFF

Old June 11th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
William Graham

"Matthew" wrote in message

Lets not start this debate again. It is getting old and tiresome.
Everyone has their opinion about this it has been going on for years. You
are not going to change the other person opinion all it is going to do is
start a bunch of BS. SO KNOCK IT OFF

So whose trying to "change the other person's opinion?" We each have our own
set of circumstances, and we each try (as best we can) to live within our
own set. I will discuss exactly what I feel like discussing, and if you
don't like it, then do the following: Message menu block sender click on
block and remove........
After all, I wouldn't want to be responsible for boring you to