Best Method for Declawing a Cat?

Old January 24th 07, 08:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

Default Best Method for Declawing a Cat?

From: Charlie Wilkes

Good luck trading sex
for housing.

LOL
Just what this group needs......ANOTHER angry bitch who thinks her pussy
was cast in solid gold.

She is indeed a cauldron of fury. But I give her high marks for her
candor.

Charlie
Old January 24th 07, 09:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Jan 18, 12:45*pm, eDog wrote:
Although I am against it, a new and rather expensive leather sofa has
raised the possibility of declawing my 3 cats.

If I have to get them declawed what is the best way to do it?

What kinds of questions should I ask the vet? What kind of equipment should
he have/use?

Simply declawing their front paws may not accomplish much with regard to
protecting the furniture.

Also, I am going to ask in a separate thread:

If I keep my cats nails trimmed short will they still be able to
(unintentionally) damage my leather sofa?

--
Looking for a clue.

Just do it and don't worry about the details. Let the professionals
handle it and take confidence that they know what they're doing. Our
cat was on both occasions totally unaffected by his declawing. Have
faith in medical technology, my boy.. And rest easy. It'll be the best
money you ever spent. Sure beats getting shredded furniture. Or in
worse-case, having to get rid of the cat....

IBen Getiner

Old January 24th 07, 09:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

cybercat wrote:
"eDog" wrote

If I keep my cats nails trimmed short will they still be able to
(unintentionally) damage my leather sofa?

No.

Don't declaw. All methods are the same--amputation of the last joint
of the fingers.

Cats don't HAVE fingers, jerk-off...

I had this done to my first cat, and she became a biter,

Bull****. YOU began to feel unwarranted guilt. That's all. That's
because you're emotionally imbalanced.

and stopped covering her poop in the cat box.

Maybe you need to change the litter a little more often? That's usually
the problem in this area, you know...

It deforms their feet

Bull****. Prove that claim.

and it is not necessary.

The claws are the only thing that is not necessary. That's why we have
them removed.

I have two cats now, keep their claws trimmed,
and have no damage at all.

Again, more bull****. I've never been over to the house of a
anti-declaw kook yet where their furniture doesn't look like someone
cut it up for paper dolls. One look and you can tell you've got a
nut-job on your hands.

Perfect "one-two" strategy: trim claws and
get stuff they like to scratch more than the sofa. Tall posts (32 inches or
better) and an Alpine Scratcher work for us.

Perfect one... (and that's it) strategy. GET THE ANIMAL'S CLAWS
REMOVED. They live indoors so they don't need them anymore. I don't
understand why someone would even hesitate. It's just common sense.

IBen

Old January 24th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped

"Jim Comfort" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:

Oh sure, I forgot, animals don't have nerve endings and so can't feel
pain like humans can - or is it that since it's an animal in pain it
doesn't count for as much - or is it that you don't think amputating a
digit at the first knuckle, and then having to walk on that knuckle,
wouldn't cause pain???

they can't feel pain...what I said was that pet owners project emotions
that the animals aren't really displaying.

And neither was I, in the original post, saying *anything* about a cat's
emotions - I was stating that they felt horrible physical pain. Most of the
time cats are sent home from the vet after (at the most) 24 hours with *NO*
pain medication. I am simply stating that, just like you or me, cats have
nerve endings and can feel physical pain just as much as you or I could.
Can you get out of your egocentric / humanocentric ideas long enough to
empathize? How do you think it would feel to you, physically, not
emotionally, if someone cut off the ends of all your fingers at the first
knuckle? Would you be ready to go home after 24 hours without pain
medications? And what if you were forced to *walk* on those amputated
digits in order to get to your food or the bathroom?

An example...when cats sit on peoples' laps and rub their faces on the
person, they aren't "being lovey", they are marking their territory with
the oils on their face.

Nowhere have I stated that cats have the same emotions, thoughts, or
motivations as humans do. Indeed, in some cases [pointedly looking at the
poster] those emotions thoughts and motivations are not as base as some
humans' (referencing Scarlett, the mother cat whose eared were burned off as
she went back into a burning warehouse again and again to rescue her
kittens). I am not anthropomorphizing here, I am simply empathizing -
something you seem to have a problem with. I don't need to feel that cats
are the same as humans, I admire them as the beautiful, perfect predators
that thousands of years of evolution have made them to be.

Since you obviously know so little about cats, let me clue you in - cats
are one of the most stoic creatures on earth, in fact all predators have
to be pretty stoic since, in the wild, they would either starve to death
or be the victims of other carnivores if they gave in to their pain.

One reason that responsible pet owners wouldn't put a completely
domesticated animal in "the wild" situations, yet most pet owners are far
from responsible, choosing instead to think it "cute" when Fluffy or Fido
go next door to do their business in the neighbors yard, then neglect to
clean up afterward.
Adventure still goes out bird-hunting, but when she's done, she brings
it to the front door and leaves it there, choosing instead to come in and
eat cat food indoors where it's warm. And we live in the country, where
she can go roaming without causing accidents by crossing busy streets or
highways (an aside, a few years back a woman actually swerved to miss a
dog during rush hour traffic not far from here and ended up choosing
instead a head-on collision, killing two of the occupants in the other
car...how someone can choose to risk other peoples' lives over those of an
animal, any animal, is baffling, IMO).

What is amazing and distressing to me is that some pet owners are so
irresponsible as to let their pets roam to become a danger to themselves,
the neighborhood wildlife, and other people.

What I really think is going on with you, however, is that you're
minimalizing the pain you put your cat through. I can understand that -
if you acknowledged the pain you caused you might feel a pinch from your
conscience, so you *have* to deny the fact that you put your cat through
unnecessary pain because you thought more about an inanimate piece of
furniture than a sentient creature.

Keep thinking. I remember quite clearly the entire "ordeal", and there
was simply no "ordeal". I see now, though, that you can't accept that
someone actually had a smooth and non-traumatic experience with the
procedure and feel the need to make up the experience with a different
outcome that fits what you desire.
The bottom line is that one can't definitively state that the procedure
is "always" bad for the animal, but I doubt that you'll be one to agree
with that conclusion, even when presented with a case contrary to your
opinion.

Yes, one can. It is *NEVER* a good idea to mutilate a living being for the
sake of inanimate objects.

CatNipped

--
Jim Comfort
Professional Student -- Computer Science Major

Old January 24th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

From: Charlie Wilkes

Good luck trading sex
for housing.

LOL
Just what this group needs......ANOTHER angry bitch who thinks her pussy
was cast in solid gold.She is indeed a cauldron of fury. But I give her high marks for her

candor.

Charlie

ha ha, i am far too old to be angry anymore, I am just resigned to the
way the world works now and accept it. I am certainly not going tobe
trading sex for housing, I woudl only have to do that if iw ere to stay
in tecahing and put up with it's lousy salaries, but i am getting out
and aiming for a better job so i can buy my own roof over my head,

I don't particularly want to be beholden to anyone for my shelter, male
or female

Old January 24th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Theodore

On Jan 18, 11:45 am, eDog wrote:
If I keep my cats nails trimmed short will they still be able to
(unintentionally) damage my leather sofa?

I didn't read all 106 replies, so forgive me if this was mentioned:
Try Sticky Paws. It's a transparent double-face tape that comes in
sheets. It stopped our cats from scratching the leather sofa, and they
even stay away from it now that the Sticky Paws is removed.

Old January 24th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 24 Jan, 14:15, "CatNipped" wrote:
"Jim Comfort" wrote in messagenews:hY2dnZF2c5mFASvYnZ2dnUVZ_qemnZ2d@adelp hia.com...

CatNipped wrote:

[...]

save your breath, the guy is obviously a **** and a pompous, arrogant,
sadistic, verging on the psychotic one at that, trying to justify
inflicting unnecessary pain and harm on innocent creatures.

lets just hope that karma comes round to get him, cos what goes around
comes around

Old January 24th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jim Comfort

This is for Bookie and CatNipped. Have I resorted to personal attacks
directed at either of you in relaying my experience regarding declawing to
eDog? Because if I did, it was unintentional, and I apologize. If I
didn't, can you lose the personal attacks and either refute my observations
factually, or accept that, at least in some cases, cats show no adverse
reactions to the procedure?
Specifically for Bookie, thanks yet again for another brilliant post full
of fact-based material presented in a professional manner designed to
persuade me that I am mistaken by raising skilled debate points. I'm
speechless.

Old January 24th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 24 Jan, 23:00, "Jim Comfort" wrote:
This is for Bookie and CatNipped. Have I resorted to personal attacks
directed at either of you in relaying my experience regarding declawing to
eDog? Because if I did, it was unintentional, and I apologize. If I
didn't, can you lose the personal attacks and either refute my observations
factually, or accept that, at least in some cases, cats show no adverse
reactions to the procedure?
Specifically for Bookie, thanks yet again for another brilliant post full
of fact-based material presented in a professional manner designed to
persuade me that I am mistaken by raising skilled debate points. I'm
speechless.

unlike your cats, who remain toe-less, claw-less and protection-less

Old January 25th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jim Comfort

Huh???