Soaking Wet

Old August 12th 12, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Soaking Wet

I fell asleep on the couch with Persia next to me. Kaboom! A huge clap
of thunder awakened me. Oh no! I looked out, it was pouring down rain.
Fedders is outside! I put on my flip flops, grabbed an umbrella and
ran next door. I called out: Fedders! MEOOOOOOW! He came running.
The poor kitty was soaking wet.

I grabbed what I hope wasn't a "good" towel from a hook in her bathroom
and gave him a good rub down. He purred in appreciation for me drying
him off, then he went to have a little snack

His pal Schwartzie wisely decided to stay inside today. The rain
stopped for the moment but it's not done. I still hear thunder and the
sirens warning people off the golf course are wailing. It's that time
of year here on the sea islands.

Jill
Old August 12th 12, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

I fell asleep on the couch with Persia next to me. Kaboom! A huge clap
of thunder awakened me. Oh no! I looked out, it was pouring down rain.
Fedders is outside! I put on my flip flops, grabbed an umbrella and
ran next door. I called out: Fedders! MEOOOOOOW! He came running.
The poor kitty was soaking wet.

I grabbed what I hope wasn't a "good" towel from a hook in her bathroom
and gave him a good rub down. He purred in appreciation for me drying
him off, then he went to have a little snack

Some cats really hate that, and would prefer to clean their fur
off themselves, thank you. You got someone who was grateful for the
ministrations!

His pal Schwartzie wisely decided to stay inside today. The rain
stopped for the moment but it's not done. I still hear thunder and the
sirens warning people off the golf course are wailing. It's that time
of year here on the sea islands.

A small taste of what is to come. Hope you stay safe in the next couple
of months.

The image of you running out in the pouring rain in flip flops made me
nostalgic. It's very rare to get rain in the summer here. Winter is the
rainy season in California, and it's usually chilly and raw, definitely
not flip flop weather.

--
Joyce

Hi, this is the Sylvia stress reduction hotline. At the sound of
the beep, repeat after me: "This week, let someone else strive for
excellence." -- Nicole Hollander
Old August 12th 12, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:
The rain
stopped for the moment but it's not done. I still hear thunder and the
sirens warning people off the golf course are wailing. It's that time
of year here on the sea islands.

"Sirens"???? IMO, anyone dumb enough to play golf during a thunderstorm
DESERVES to get hit by lightning! (Prime candidates for the "Darwin
Award", like the morons who jog at high noon when the temperatures are
in the three digit range.)
Old August 12th 12, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/12/2012 4:30 PM, Bastette wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

I fell asleep on the couch with Persia next to me. Kaboom! A huge clap
of thunder awakened me. Oh no! I looked out, it was pouring down rain.
Fedders is outside! I put on my flip flops, grabbed an umbrella and
ran next door. I called out: Fedders! MEOOOOOOW! He came running.
The poor kitty was soaking wet.

I grabbed what I hope wasn't a "good" towel from a hook in her bathroom
and gave him a good rub down. He purred in appreciation for me drying
him off, then he went to have a little snack

Some cats really hate that, and would prefer to clean their fur
off themselves, thank you. You got someone who was grateful for the
ministrations!

He was thrilled by the attention. I know by now he's wondering where
his mommy is. So far I have not had to buy more Fancy Feast for them.
But I did buy two jugs of Cat's Pride kitty litter when I was at the
dollar store today. It may not be food we run out of this time. It's
been raining so much they've been staying inside a lot.

*coupons are available on some of the jugs at the store or printable
online. It's equivalent to Tidy Cats litter but much less expensive.

His pal Schwartzie wisely decided to stay inside today. The rain
stopped for the moment but it's not done. I still hear thunder and the
sirens warning people off the golf course are wailing. It's that time
of year here on the sea islands.

A small taste of what is to come. Hope you stay safe in the next couple
of months.

Yep, it's hurricane season.

The image of you running out in the pouring rain in flip flops made me
nostalgic. It's very rare to get rain in the summer here. Winter is the
rainy season in California, and it's usually chilly and raw, definitely
not flip flop weather.

LOL! The thing about where I live is it's flip flop weather 9-10 months
out of the year. (I have winter clothes and coats I never get to wear!)

Fedders was very happy to be dried off. He was quite indignant he got
wet in the first place.

Jill
Old August 12th 12, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/12/2012 5:02 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
The rain stopped for the moment but it's not done. I still hear
thunder and the sirens warning people off the golf course are
wailing. It's that time of year here on the sea islands.

"Sirens"???? IMO, anyone dumb enough to play golf during a thunderstorm
DESERVES to get hit by lightning! (Prime candidates for the "Darwin
Award", like the morons who jog at high noon when the temperatures are
in the three digit range.)

LOL By the time someone turns on the sirens the storm is already here.
I wish I knew who was glued to the weather channel or a weather radio.
And who decides when to hit the SIREN button?

Jill
Old August 13th 12, 04:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Wess

jmcquown wrote in news:a8qnqsF5tqU1
@mid.individual.net:

jmcquown wrote:
The rain stopped for the moment but it's not done. I still hear
thunder and the sirens warning people off the golf course are
wailing. It's that time of year here on the sea islands.

"Sirens"???? IMO, anyone dumb enough to play golf during a thunderstorm
DESERVES to get hit by lightning! (Prime candidates for the "Darwin
Award", like the morons who jog at high noon when the temperatures are
in the three digit range.)

LOL By the time someone turns on the sirens the storm is already here.
I wish I knew who was glued to the weather channel or a weather radio.
And who decides when to hit the SIREN button?

Jill

they watch the weather at the club house and the manager decides when to
sound the siren.
Old August 17th 12, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:
The rain stopped for the moment but it's not done. I still hear
thunder and the sirens warning people off the golf course are
wailing. It's that time of year here on the sea islands.

"Sirens"???? IMO, anyone dumb enough to play golf during a thunderstorm
DESERVES to get hit by lightning! (Prime candidates for the "Darwin
Award", like the morons who jog at high noon when the temperatures are
in the three digit range.)

LOL By the time someone turns on the sirens the storm is already here.
I wish I knew who was glued to the weather channel or a weather radio.
And who decides when to hit the SIREN button?

Jill

they watch the weather at the club house and the manager decides when to
sound the siren.

Oh, so is the manager glued to the weather channel or is he/she looking
out the window? LOL

I would think anyone who plays golf would know to get off the course at
the first sounds of thunder. Around here (South Carolina) you never
know if it's going to be a heavy storm with a lot of lightning or just a
lot of noise with a few sprinkles. But why take the chance when you're
walking around carrying lightning rods? Head on back to the 19th green
and have a beverage

Jill

Old August 17th 12, 02:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

We had very odd thunderstorms in NYC on Wednesday. Since I often
commute by bike I was keeping an eye on the radar and the storms just
kept popping up over eastern New Jersey and heading right into
Manhattan. It looked like there was a break around 4pm so I hopped on
the bike and started pedaling madly for home. But it just kept raining
and got so bad that it became a flash flood advisory.

I did put on a rainjacket I keep handy, mostly because it was getting
cold but the rest of me was light shorts and sandels. I rode through
as much as 8" of water where cars and trucks were at a dead stop. What
a mess. But you can only get so wet and then the water just rolls off,
and eventually you will dry.

I don't recall my mom ever explictly telling me not to ride a bike in
thunderstorms but it was probably implied.
Old August 17th 12, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

dgk wrote:

We had very odd thunderstorms in NYC on Wednesday. Since I often
commute by bike I was keeping an eye on the radar and the storms just
kept popping up over eastern New Jersey and heading right into
Manhattan. It looked like there was a break around 4pm so I hopped on
the bike and started pedaling madly for home. But it just kept raining
and got so bad that it became a flash flood advisory.

I did put on a rainjacket I keep handy, mostly because it was getting
cold but the rest of me was light shorts and sandels. I rode through
as much as 8" of water where cars and trucks were at a dead stop. What
a mess. But you can only get so wet and then the water just rolls off,
and eventually you will dry.

I don't recall my mom ever explictly telling me not to ride a bike in
thunderstorms but it was probably implied.

Wow. I've ridden a bike through pouring rain (for hours, once), but not
through a flood. I would be worried about my brakes not working. I guess
you didn't have trouble with that? And riding through Manhattan, you're
far from the tallest thing around, so you're not going to be a lightening
rod.

--
Joyce

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth
concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.
-- Louis D. Brandeis
Old August 19th 12, 03:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Bastette" wrote in message

dgk wrote:

[...]

fx: Warning siren: thread convergence

What is the purpose of a lightening rod? Does it, for instance,
change a visual attribute of a dark blue painted surface to make
it appear to be a light blue painted surface? :-)

On the other hand, the purpose of a lightning rod is explained
he http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_rod :-)

/fx

--
MatSav