Cats I Met on Holiday

Old May 9th 14, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Default Cats I Met on Holiday

I was on holiday for 10 days, 5 in Italy and 5 in Croatia. Needless
to say I'm always on the lookout for local mogs to talk to when I'm
abroad - and I definitely speak better meow than either Italian or
Croatian.

There must be cats in Italy. Where the heck are they hiding? I saw two
the whole time I was there - one rather fat tabby like my Marblecake,
glaring back into our headlights beside the road up to the San Luca
monastery in Bologna, and one extremely posh-looking Russian Blue with
an elegant pink collar next to a travelling fair caravan in the Po Delta
(it didn't condescend to talk to me). I saw none at all in the city
centres of Bologna and Venice.

Croatia has zillions of them. I was staying with my ex-wife and her
family in Rijeka, and they have a little black and white guy who was
dumped as a four-week-old kitten. He treats my stepdaughter as his
mother and is great at having ferocious fights with people's hands
while never breaking the skin with his claws. And the old centre of
Zadar is mostly pedestrianized with lots of cafes, so it's heaven
for moggies. There is even one little yard, fenced off with mesh so
that humans can't get into it and with cat-friendly bits of dumped
upholstery, which has been taken over entirely by a cat colony.
People put catfood through the wire.