Can Cats Eat Dog Food?

Old September 5th 03, 06:52 AM
JHBennett

Default Can Cats Eat Dog Food?

I'll spare you all the long story of what's behind the question, but I
called my Vet's office and got a less than satisfactory answer to the
question. The person who tried to answer went on about cats needing a
higher protien diet than dogs, since they were carnivors (and what,
praytell, are dogs?) etc., etc. I was told something about needing more
meat, and wondered to myself *whence commeth dry cat food, such as Meow
Mix?* Our ferals scarfed up Pedigree dog food, to the last trace in the
bowel. Regarding the need for more protien, if such is the case, why not
eat more of it?
So far, I think I've been getting the benefit of well intentioned, but
unsupported, conjecture. Anybody know the answer?
Cheers,
Jack

Old September 5th 03, 07:51 AM
Marina

"JHBennett" wrote
I'll spare you all the long story of what's behind the question, but I
called my Vet's office and got a less than satisfactory answer to the
question. The person who tried to answer went on about cats needing a
higher protien diet than dogs, since they were carnivors

This is true.

(and what,
praytell, are dogs?)

Dogs are omnivorous.

etc., etc. I was told something about needing more
meat, and wondered to myself *whence commeth dry cat food, such as Meow
Mix?*

Dry cat food is not nutritionally sound (don't believe the commercials!),
and often causes kidney damage.

Our ferals scarfed up Pedigree dog food, to the last trace in the
bowel. Regarding the need for more protien, if such is the case, why not
eat more of it?

Probably their tummies were full from all the veggies in there, which are
completely useless to cats. They need more meat.

--
Marina

Old September 5th 03, 12:05 PM
Margaret

I have read and been told that cat food contains an ingredient called
Tourine, which is vital to a cat's eye sight. Dog food doesn't have
it.

Margaret

Old September 5th 03, 12:44 PM
JHBennett

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
in article , Marina at
wrote on 9/5/03 1:51 AM:

"JHBennett" wrote
[...]

Absolutely. Most essentially, besides not enough protien, dog food lacks
taurine (aside from a few other essentials) which is absolutely a factor

in
cat health. Cats lacking this (an element provided only in animal meat)

can
develop blindness and other illness. It is essential, even if a cheaper
brand, to feed the cat food, not dog food. I repeat it's imperative to

feed
them cat food.

Karen

Ah ha! Gotcha, Karen. Now I understand and thanks ;-)
Jack

Old September 5th 03, 03:38 PM
Victor M. Martinez

JHBennett wrote:
Hmmmmm........ Without the human animal to provide *foods* other than meat,
I'd argue not. Not picking a fight, but I see much the same parallel with

Dogs will eat anything they can put in their mouths. Furthermore, they can
survive just fine on a vegetarian diet. Cats are obligate carnivores, which
means they MUST eat meat to survive, since they don't naturally produce all
the necessary aminoacids/proteins they need.

consistent or which makes sense. I suppose it isn't essential that I know
THE definitive answer, but I am curious. --JB

A great resource for cat nutrition is in Max's page:
http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

day (sometimes 2 cans, depending on whether they show up for roll call),
they doing alright, or should I/we be concerned about feeding dry food?

It is better to feed wet food. The worse canned food is better than the best
dry food.

On a somewhat tangient matter, considering dry cat food, I sense there
is an argument to be made that cats are no more carnivors than dogs. My

Nope. Cats cannot survive on a vegetarian diet, dogs can.

system, particularly with older dogs. He illustrated his point by relating
how someone had given their pet a chunk of fat from a steak, about a 1/2"
cube, which induced a pancreas attack, leading to the dogs death in less
than an hour, despite his every effort to save it. --JB

How exactly does fat produce a "pancreas attack" (is that like a heart
attack? sounds bogus to me)????

Cheers.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old September 5th 03, 04:30 PM
Jo Firey

"Jette Goldie" wrote in message

Dogs, on the other hand, can happily survive on catfood - in
fact one of the local vets suggests feeding elderly and ailing
dogs on cat food because it is more nourishing for them.

Cat food nearly killed our first dog. She went into kidney failure at seven. And
that was just what she stole from the cat. The high protein is hard on their
kidneys. This was before we learned to be picky about buying non-grocery store
foods. Now we feed Nutro.

However, I never found a better training snack for a dog than a few pieces of cat
kibble kept in a pocket.

And cat food might be nourishing for some elderly dogs who are simply not eating.
(Mine says she'd rather have steak and lamb) But most senior dog foods contain more
cereal (rice) not less than food for younger animals.

Jo

Old September 5th 03, 05:36 PM
Kierstyn

I know from personal experience that cats eating dog food shortens
their lives and ruins their kidneys. . . .my baby would eat our dogs
food instead of his, and I would give him some to make sure he ate
something, and it ended up making him lose his fur and get really sick
a lot.

Hope this helps!
Kierstyn
"JHBennett" wrote

Old September 5th 03, 06:56 PM
Seanette Blaylock

"JHBennett" had some very interesting things to say
about Can Cats Eat Dog Food?:

I'll spare you all the long story of what's behind the question, but I
called my Vet's office and got a less than satisfactory answer to the
question. The person who tried to answer went on about cats needing a
higher protien diet than dogs, since they were carnivors (and what,
praytell, are dogs?) etc., etc. I was told something about needing more
meat, and wondered to myself *whence commeth dry cat food, such as Meow
Mix?* Our ferals scarfed up Pedigree dog food, to the last trace in the
bowel. Regarding the need for more protien, if such is the case, why not
eat more of it?
So far, I think I've been getting the benefit of well intentioned, but
unsupported, conjecture. Anybody know the answer?

I do know that cat food contains a nutrient called "taurine" that is
essential to cats [they go blind or worse without it], but that dogs
don't need, so it's not found in dog food in sufficient quantity for a
cat's needs.

--
Seanette Blaylock
"You attribute perfect rationality to the whole of humanity, which has

Feeding dilemma Yoj Cat anecdotes 11 August 24th 03 11:48 PM
Cats and Food Seanette Blaylock Cat anecdotes 1 August 20th 03 10:37 PM
Raiders of the Large Tub of Kitten Food Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 4 August 11th 03 07:29 AM
Feeding dilemma Victor M. Martinez Cat anecdotes 4 July 22nd 03 08:31 PM