New Hijack warning...Safety is NEVER OT

Old December 14th 04, 06:25 PM
Tanada

Default New Hijack warning...Safety is NEVER OT

We received this from Rob's parents. I have not done a Snopes check on
it, as it seems like good advice, even if it is an urban legend.

Pam S.

Subject: Warning from the State Patrol

Even though this is a very remote possibility, it is still something
to remember. I was thinking of this only happening to women at first,
but it could happen to men as well, and should be something that we keep
in the back of our mind. There are to many kooks out there waiting for
an opportunity these days.

"Warning From The State Patrol"
Please pass this along to others and beware.
CAR JACKERS NEW SCHEME: Be aware of new car-jacking scheme Imagine: You
walk across the parking lot, unlock your car and get inside. Then you
lock all your doors, start the engine and shift into REVERSE, and you
look into the rearview mirror to back out of your parking space and you
notice a piece of paper stuck to the middle of the rear window. So, you
shift into PARK, unlock your doors and jump out of your car to remove
that paper (or whatever it is) that is obstructing your view... When you
reach the back of your car that is when the car-jackers appear out of
nowhere, jump into your car and take off!! Your engine was running,
(ladies would have their purse in the car) and they practically mow you
down as they speed off in your car. BE AWARE OF THIS NEW SCHEME THAT IS
NOW BEING USED. Just drive away and remove the paper that is stuck to
your window later, and be thankful that you read this email. I hope you
will forward this to friends and family...especially to women! A purse
contains all identification, and you certainly do NOT want someone
getting your home address. They already HAVE your keys! This scheme has
been reported to have occurred in the states of Illinois, Ohio, Indiana,
Kentucky, and Michigan. We are asking that residents of major cities
within these states be mindful when traveling.

M/Sgt Terry A. Granell
Illinois State Police, Zone 2/East Moline Office
(309)752-4915 ext 4939 Alpha Pager (563)327-9894
Connie Small
Sgt Rod Rhiner Park Fair Mall 100 Euclid Ave. Des Moines, IA 50313
800-925-6469 or 515-237-3247 Fax: 515-237-3387

Old December 14th 04, 11:21 PM
Seanette Blaylock

Tanada had some very interesting things to say
about New Hijack warning...Safety is NEVER OT:

We received this from Rob's parents. I have not done a Snopes check on
it, as it seems like good advice, even if it is an urban legend.

Which it is. http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/carjack.asp tags
this one as false. :-)

Old December 15th 04, 01:40 AM
gracecat

"Seanette Blaylock" wrote in
message ...
Tanada had some very interesting things to say
about New Hijack warning...Safety is NEVER OT:

We received this from Rob's parents. I have not done a Snopes check on
it, as it seems like good advice, even if it is an urban legend.

Which it is. http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/carjack.asp tags
this one as false. :-)

Yes and no.. This particular scenario is false but it's always worth being
said...

You do have the right to decrease your speed, apply your flashers, call 911
if you have a cell to verify it is an officer behind you and procede to the
nearest lit area if you're travelling at night and feel uncomfortable
stopping. (Calling 911, they'll verify and notify dispatch, who will notify
the officer that yes you are aware of his presense). This is especially true
if you're a single woman, and the car is unmarked and on a very long stretch
in the middle of nowhere. (though, if 911 verifies that it is a trooper,
I'd go ahead and pull over)

He won't hollar at you, you won't get a ticket other than for what he
flashed his lights at you initially and more than likely, they'll be 100%
understanding. At one time, in Louisiana during our serial killer hunt the
investigation considered it to be a rogue police officer or a civilizian
portraying a police officer so the safety precautions were actually
encouraged for a short time. (whether that was an actual detective's theory
or the media assuming it was theory, I have no idea)

Grace

Old December 15th 04, 01:46 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Seanette Blaylock at
wrote on 12/14/04 5:21 PM:

Tanada had some very interesting things to say
about New Hijack warning...Safety is NEVER OT:

We received this from Rob's parents. I have not done a Snopes check on
it, as it seems like good advice, even if it is an urban legend.

Which it is.
http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/carjack.asp tags
this one as false. :-)

and yet, it would be effective. Some entrepreneuring crook out there might
gets some ideas from it so it's still a good idea to be aware of something
like that.

Old December 15th 04, 04:28 AM
John F. Eldredge

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old December 16th 04, 12:32 AM
Christina Websell

"gracecat" wrote in message

"Seanette Blaylock" wrote in
message ...
[...]

In all my years of driving, I've never been stopped by the police. I guess
I must look sort of innocent ;-)
Although I do hesitate to say this. Watch me get stopped tomorrow now!

Tweed

Old December 17th 04, 02:54 PM
Adrian

Christina Websell wrote:
In all my years of driving, I've never been stopped by the police. I
guess I must look sort of innocent ;-)
Although I do hesitate to say this. Watch me get stopped tomorrow
now!

Tweed

I got stopped the day I passed my driving test, aged 17. I was doing 80
in a 40 limit. I've calmed down a bit since then, over 30 years.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old December 17th 04, 11:05 PM
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
In all my years of driving, I've never been stopped by the police. I
guess I must look sort of innocent ;-)
Although I do hesitate to say this. Watch me get stopped tomorrow
now!

Tweed

I got stopped the day I passed my driving test, aged 17. I was doing 80
in a 40 limit. I've calmed down a bit since then, over 30 years.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

I stopped speeding (even a little bit) when a chap walked off the pavement
into the road right in front of me, within 6 feet, probably. I was *not*
speeding at the time, I was doing 30 mph in a 30 mph limit zone.
He was looking for an address which he was reading from a paper he had in
his hand. I did see him on the sidewalk (pavement), but I had no idea that
he would walk out right in front of my car, but he did. I swerved to avoid
him, but unfortunately he jumped the same way.
So I hit him. He came right up on the bonnet (hood?) of the car, and his
head broke the windscreen. Scary or what?
He lay at the side of the road. Nearby neighbours phoned the police and
ambulance.
I got out of the car, and advised him to stay still in case he was very
hurt. He obeyed, and lay there, but he said to me "Don't worry, I won't be
hurt, I used to be a boxer."
Yeah. So boxers can't be hurt in a collision with a car!!

The police came and breathalysed me. Like I was drunk to run over someone
who came right out in front of me! Negative result.

Just like he said, he was okay. He had blood coming from his little finger
and a bump on his head where it connected with my windscreen. He was taken
to hospital and discharged.
I was left with the fee for the ambulance and fifty quid excess to pay on my
insurance for a new windscreen.

In the UK, the car driver is always at fault for an accident like this. If
your car is parked and you are not even in it, if a cyclist collides with
it, it's your fault and you have to pay for the ambulance!!
Amazing but true.

Tweed

Old December 17th 04, 11:11 PM
Sherry

In the UK, the car driver is always at fault for an accident like this. If
your car is parked and you are not even in it, if a cyclist collides with
it, it's your fault and you have to pay for the ambulance!!
Amazing but true.

Tweed

That hardly seems fair! Especially if you are parked legally, and someone hits
your car. A teenager ran out in front of my son in a parking lot once, and he
hit him at about 10 mph. He seemed fine, went to the hospital and was
pronounced OK, my son did not get a ticket. But unfortunately the parents of
the kid were professional sue-ers (is that a word?) They sued our insurance co.
and won a major big-bucks settlement.
That's why insurance in the US costs so much.

Sherry
Old December 17th 04, 11:45 PM

Christina Websell wrote:

In the UK, the car driver is always at fault for an accident like this. If
your car is parked and you are not even in it, if a cyclist collides with
it, it's your fault and you have to pay for the ambulance!!
Amazing but true.

That seems extreme to me. I can understand the driver being at fault in
a collision with a pedestrian - although there are many cases, such as the
accident you described here, where the driver could not have avoided the
collision, and was also obeying all traffic laws, which should probably
mitigate some of the penalty for the driver. But if you're not even in
the car, and it's legally parked, how could you possibly be responsible??

Just my USA'an take on it...

Joyce