Ranger's new title

Old April 22nd 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Default Ranger's new title

Ranger has let me know that it's no longer necessary to refer to him as
the Mighty Snow Cat. It's now ok to call him the Mighty Spring Cat.

As soon as I get home Ranger is waiting at the back door, poised to sprint
out the back door as soon as it opens. I suspect that if I ever failed to
tie the mud room door open, Ranger would probably splat up against it - he
shoots out the kitchen door at high speed, headed straight for the patch
where where the squirrels like to dig for seeds the birds dropped off the
bird feeder.

He then stays out as long as I'll let him. He'd probably gladly stay out
all night if I gave them the chance to do so. Harri and Amelia also love
their outside time, but nobody is quite as in love with spending
springtime evenings outside as Ranger.

This morning he served another important purpose - protecting his lazy
humans from thunder and lightning. We had a midwest thunderstorm this
morning. I've experienced thunderstorms before, but nothing quite like we
get here. The lightning flashes so bright that your eyes hurt, and the
thunder reverberates through the whole house, pounding you from all sides.
It's really awesome! Somewhere around 5 seconds after the first massive
lightning/thunder of this storm (around 4 this morning) I had a Ranger cat
sitting on my chest meowing softly. He was NOT pleased by all the noise
and light. He stayed curled up beside me until the storm moved off half an
hour later.
Old April 22nd 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Apr 22, 10:44*am, Daniel Mahoney wrote:
[...]

SnowBall, my RB d*g, used to _herd_ me into the bedroom at the first
sound of thunder. She would not be still until I was "safe." She
clearly preferred that I go to bed (in which case, she would join me)
but would tolerate it if I sat in the big chair and read. And then she
would sit by me until it was over. What was wierd was that she
displayed little fear. Just takiing care of her daddy or maybe her
"flock." She was part Border Collie but usually pretty laid back.

--
Will in New Haven

Old April 22nd 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

you gotta admit, these thunderstorms are a far bit better than earth quakes,
news

Old April 22nd 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 12:14:20 -0500, Stormmee wrote:

you gotta admit, these thunderstorms are a far bit better than earth quakes,
Lee, who didn't let any cat here read about the out

Most definitely! And that earthquake last week was so small I slept right
through it. It takes at least a 3.5 nearby to wake me; with the magnitude
of that quake it would have had to have happened within 50 miles or so to
wake me.
Old April 22nd 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

it woke me out of a dead sleep, and we were in a hotel, so I don't dare
write what I thought was going on next door as this is a family group, the
worst part was not the rolling of the room it was the banging pictures and
mirrors that unnerved me, Lee

Old April 23rd 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Daniel Mahoney wrote:
Ranger has let me know that it's no longer necessary to refer to him as
the Mighty Snow Cat. It's now ok to call him the Mighty Spring Cat.

Another thing Ranger has in common with Miranda (besides looks and
loving tio climb). Mir also wants to be in the enclosure all the time.
She gets very upset in the evenings when I take her inside and close the
door.

Old April 24th 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Daniel Mahoney wrote:

This morning he served another important purpose - protecting his lazy
humans from thunder and lightning. We had a midwest thunderstorm this
morning. I've experienced thunderstorms before, but nothing quite like we
get here. The lightning flashes so bright that your eyes hurt, and the
thunder reverberates through the whole house, pounding you from all sides.
It's really awesome! Somewhere around 5 seconds after the first massive
lightning/thunder of this storm (around 4 this morning) I had a Ranger cat
sitting on my chest meowing softly. He was NOT pleased by all the noise
and light. He stayed curled up beside me until the storm moved off half an
hour later.

Awww, poor scaredy cat! Hope it didn't last too long.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old April 25th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Dan, you are right about mid west thunderstorms, They are awesome.

I haven't plowed through all the messages for the week when I was gone so if
everyone has discussed this to death, sorry. Did you feel the earthquake
where you are? Where I was near the tip of Illinois, it rattled things
pretty good. No damage but furniture squeaked as it moved around a bit.

Old April 25th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 09:30:45 -0500, Granby wrote:

Dan, you are right about mid west thunderstorms, They are awesome.

I haven't plowed through all the messages for the week when I was gone so if
everyone has discussed this to death, sorry. Did you feel the earthquake
where you are? Where I was near the tip of Illinois, it rattled things
pretty good. No damage but furniture squeaked as it moved around a bit.

Nope, slept right through it. An earthquake of that magnitude would have
to hit within 50 miles or so of me to wake me up.

Dan
Old April 25th 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Where I was is coal mining country. Within half an hour half the town, or
more, was out in their cars going past the mines to be sure all was well.

That is the biggest one I have ever been in and don't want another. I
touched the bedside table to steady things and nothing steadied. Weird.