fire survivors (mostly OT)

Old February 16th 09, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

Default fire survivors (mostly OT)

a link was posted in the binary group of the video where the
firefighter gives Sam, the kola, a drink

http://tinyurl.com/aa7okd

there's also a gallery of pix showing Sam and a fellow survivor. It
includes a reunion between Sam and the firefighter rescuer

http://tinyurl.com/aff5fg

and, finally, here's a pic of a lucky kitty, named Diva, who survived
being left behind as her family evacuated

http://tinyurl.com/cr2f8c

Diva's pix is part of a gallery of other survivors at

http://tinyurl.com/b876sg
--
Steve Touchstone
Little Bit, Sammy, Spotty, Princess, Furby
Old February 16th 09, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

That has me in tears. I remember the Florida fires of 1998 and how close
they came to the animals shelters here.

I remember standing on my mothers back porch and telling her get ready to
go I see flames. Get the cats and yourself ready to run. That is when we
had 11 cats

I hope those POS that started the fires find out what Karma truly means

news

Old February 16th 09, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Steve Touchstone wrote:

and, finally, here's a pic of a lucky kitty, named Diva, who survived
being left behind as her family evacuated

http://tinyurl.com/cr2f8c

Smart kitty! (But why did her family leave her behind??)

--
Joyce ^..^

Old February 16th 09, 10:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

wrote in message
Steve Touchstone wrote:

and, finally, here's a pic of a lucky kitty, named Diva, who survived
being left behind as her family evacuated

http://tinyurl.com/cr2f8c

Smart kitty! (But why did her family leave her behind??)

--
Joyce ^..^

If she was an outside furball she probably could not be found all the
noise probably scared the poor thing to death

Old February 16th 09, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote in message

Steve Touchstone wrote:

and, finally, here's a pic of a lucky kitty, named Diva, who survived
being left behind as her family evacuated

http://tinyurl.com/cr2f8c

Smart kitty! (But why did her family leave her behind??)

These fires were unlike anything anyone has seen before. The advice up until
now is to go early or stay and help fight the fires - usually with
Australian bushfires the safest place to be is the house that has a clearing
around it as we tend to have fast moving 'canopy' fires that will just go
over the top of the house. Unfortunatley, these fires were not usual fires,
they were moving at unheard of speeds and burning at an unheard of
intensity. On a scale of 1 to 100 for bushfire danger, these were rated at
320.

There are a lots of stories where people thought they had up to three hours
before the fire front reached them, and normally the would have been right.
But not in this case. By the time they realised that they were truly in
danger they literally had *seconds* to get the hell out of there. Have you
ever managed to catch a panicked cat in just a few seconds? I never have.

In those few seconds, if I couldn't grab the cat(s) there and then, I would
have just run anyhow. This is what many people were forced to do, leaving
behind cats, dogs, guinea pigs, rabbits, fish, horses, and other beloved
pets. 189 people didn't make it out. And yes, the tears on the TV were not
only for the 189 humans that lost their lives, but for the dogs and cats and
horses and cattle etc etc that also died.

They've lost *everything*, all their possessions, their home, neighbourhood,
community, livelihood, neighbours, friends, children, parents, sisters,
brothers, husbands, wives etc etc and will no doubt carry 'survivor guilt'
around with them for the rest of their lives. I wouldn't want to burden them
with the extra guilt of 'why did you leave your cat behind?'

Yowie
(sorry, its a bit too close to home)
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old February 16th 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

wrote in message

Steve Touchstone wrote:

[...]

I was just asking. I figured there was probably a good reason (not for
everyone, because some people simply don't care, but certainly for many)
why pets were left behind. Pets were left behind during Hurricane Katrina,
too, but in that case, it was often because authorities wouldn't allow
people to take their pets. This ended up killing a number of people,
because many people refused to leave without their pets, and ended up
dying themselves. Since that time there has been legislation making it
mandatory for rescue operations to provide shelter for pets in addition
to people.

Didn't mean to ruffle feathers. And in any case, that cat had a very
good survival instinct to crawl into a wombat hole. Or maybe she just
got lucky?

--
Joyce ^..^

Old February 17th 09, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

Yowie wrote:
wrote in message

Steve Touchstone wrote:

[...]

Horrible!horrible!horrible! I'm with Matthew on his wishes for karma. MLB
Old February 17th 09, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message
news
a link was posted in the binary group of the video where the
firefighter gives Sam, the kola, a drink

http://tinyurl.com/aa7okd

there's also a gallery of pix showing Sam and a fellow survivor. It
includes a reunion between Sam and the firefighter rescuer

http://tinyurl.com/aff5fg

and, finally, here's a pic of a lucky kitty, named Diva, who survived
being left behind as her family evacuated

http://tinyurl.com/cr2f8c

Diva's pix is part of a gallery of other survivors at

http://tinyurl.com/b876sg
--
Steve Touchstone
Little Bit, Sammy, Spotty, Princess, Furby
and Rocky (RB)
Pix at http://tinyurl.com/22pfn8
Vids at http://tinyurl.com/4yb6nj

I'm glad some animals survived, and I ache (and cry) for all those that
didn't.

I've never seen a naked sulfur-crested cockatoo before.

Joy

Old February 17th 09, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

wrote in message
Yowie wrote:

wrote in message

Steve Touchstone wrote:

[...]

I would not leave my furballs behind ever. The first person that tried to
stop me would get a serious mud stomping in their ass.
I am so glad that those senators got no pets let behind act to go through
here in the US.

Old February 17th 09, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote in message

Yowie wrote:

wrote in message

Steve Touchstone wrote:

[...]

Nor did I mean to sound like what I was saying was against you personally
Joyce, it wasn't. I didn't think it was you who might condemn such people
for leaving their pets behind, just ranting at some who might.

The nerves are still raw on this one and I apologise if it felt like me
attacking you.

Yowie

The Fire is OUT ollie2 Cat anecdotes 6 November 20th 08 03:42 PM
OT Remembering 9/11 other Survivors mlbriggs Cat anecdotes 1 September 10th 06 06:36 PM
Shelters for Pets Fill With Furry Survivors Norm Cat anecdotes 2 September 9th 05 02:34 AM
What happens in a FIRE? news.verizon.net Cat health & behaviour 24 July 29th 03 07:00 PM