Harriet is back in the hospital

Old August 22nd 05, 08:05 PM
Elizabeth Blake

Default Harriet is back in the hospital

Harriest is a very constipated/backed-up cat who lives in a bookstore.
She was brought to the vet on August 4th and kept until the 6th,
because she was having trouble going to the bathroom. She was sent
home with Eukanuba Low Residue food and Lactulose.

Two weeks later, she was still having problems. On Saturday she was
able to poop, but she did it on a rug and in her bed! They were very
large (diameter) and I know they must have hurt her.

Back to the vet we go this morning. The vet (same practice, different
doctor this time) felt her and said her colon (I think!) was backed all
the way up. She said that it didn't feel rock hard, but that
everything was getting backed up and each bit would push into the bit
before, causing the feces to extend, making them even harder to pass.
I had to leave her for more enemas, and I'm to call back at 4pm. She
may end up staying overnight again.

I asked about her diet, and told him what the other vet had sent her
home with. He agreed that all wet food would be better. He also said
that there's a possibility of nerve damage, making it hard for her body
to push the feces through. He said there's not much they can do if
that's the case. My nerves were already shot by this point and I
didn't ask what the outcome would be if Harriet does have nerve damage
in her colon (or intestine...?). He said that in the past they would
treat animals with Propulsid (spelling?), a human medication that
helped the body move things along. He said that it caused heart
problems in humans so it was taken off the market, although they never
had an animal with a bad reaction. He said that if the wet food and
Lactulose don't help there may not be anything else they can do.

Harriet was so good at the vet's. When I was in the waiting room she
even wanted to come out of her crate, and she clung to me for awhile.
She's not much of a lap cat, and while I would normally love it if she
climbed in my lap and lay on my chest, this time it was just sad.

--
Liz

Old August 22nd 05, 10:26 PM
Karen

Oh that is too bad I sure hope you figure out. Please keep us posted.
Poor baby

oups.com...

Old August 22nd 05, 11:33 PM
Fuga :o\)

I wonder if you could order the propulsid from Canada and have it shipped
down to you.

Old August 22nd 05, 11:47 PM
Cheryl

On Mon 22 Aug 2005 03:05:52p, Elizabeth Blake wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com):

I asked about her diet, and told him what the other vet had sent
her home with. He agreed that all wet food would be better. He
also said that there's a possibility of nerve damage, making it
hard for her body to push the feces through. He said there's
not much they can do if that's the case. My nerves were already
shot by this point and I didn't ask what the outcome would be if
Harriet does have nerve damage in her colon (or intestine...?).
He said that in the past they would treat animals with Propulsid
(spelling?), a human medication that helped the body move things
along. He said that it caused heart problems in humans so it
was taken off the market, although they never had an animal with
a bad reaction. He said that if the wet food and Lactulose
don't help there may not be anything else they can do.

I'm so sorry she's doing poorly again. Propulsid is the drug I
emailed you about, Cisapride is the generic name. My cat was on
that and the vet had told me it was taken off the market in the US
for humans, but the heart problems were never shown with cats. He
kept a supply of it for cats so it must be proven to help! I wonder
since the vet told you this would have been past treatment if you
ask if he can get some? They might make you wave any liability. I'd
sure ask.

It sure sounds like the constipation is causing the problems that
are causing the constipation, if that makes sense. I'm so sorry. :
(

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old August 23rd 05, 12:46 AM
blkcatgal

I just read something about this in a recent issue of a cat magazine.
Someone wrote in about her cat that was experiencing the same kind of
problems. The vet recommended the low residue food, metamucil (unflavored,
powered mixed in canned food), lactulose, laxatone, canned pumpkin mixed in
food, possibly subcuteneous fluids -- not that he recommended all of these
at once but that these are some of the treatments recommended for a severely
constipated cat.

Good luck. I hope your kitty is feeling better soon.

Sue

Old August 23rd 05, 01:36 AM
Elizabeth Blake

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
I just read something about this in a recent issue of a cat magazine.
Someone wrote in about her cat that was experiencing the same kind of
problems. The vet recommended the low residue food, metamucil (unflavored,
powered mixed in canned food), lactulose, laxatone, canned pumpkin mixed in
food, possibly subcuteneous fluids -- not that he recommended all of these
at once but that these are some of the treatments recommended for a
severely constipated cat.

Good luck. I hope your kitty is feeling better soon.

Sue

The vet said that for Harriet, they recommend a low-fiber food (the Eukanuba
low residue) plus a high fiber medication (the Lactulose). I remember the
first vet we saw at the beginning of the month said that more fiber helps
some cats but in others it makes the problem worse. I also have hairball
stuff at work and I would give that to her occasionally. Giving that to her
is worse than giving her the Lactulose. They did give her fluids in the
hospital, and she drinks plenty of water on her own. She really does love
her Drinkwell fountain.

I was able to pick her up today, and we couldn't get out of there fast
enough to suit her. While I was waiting for them to do the billing, she was
right at the door of her case. I opened it and she came right out. I only
held her for a minute and made her get back in. When we got back to work
she immediately went to her food bowl. I had dumped all the dry food that
was in it after I left her at the hospital this morning. I got her some of
the Eukanuba wet food and she started eating. She went back to the bowl a
couple of times over the next half hour or so and ended up eating most of
what I gave her (1/3 can). I know she didn't eat much of her dry food this
morning, since I threw most of it out, so she was hungry.

I've talked to everyone at work who gets in early and explained the new "wet
food only" rule. I posted instructions on the fridge and in my office,
where the food is kept. I took away all of the dry food. I think that once
Harriet realizes there is no more dry food, she'll start eating her wet food
quickly.

--
Liz

Old August 23rd 05, 01:40 AM
Elizabeth Blake

"Cheryl" wrote in message

I'm so sorry she's doing poorly again. Propulsid is the drug I
emailed you about, Cisapride is the generic name. My cat was on
that and the vet had told me it was taken off the market in the US
for humans, but the heart problems were never shown with cats. He
kept a supply of it for cats so it must be proven to help! I wonder
since the vet told you this would have been past treatment if you
ask if he can get some? They might make you wave any liability. I'd
sure ask.

It sure sounds like the constipation is causing the problems that
are causing the constipation, if that makes sense. I'm so sorry. :
(

--
Cheryl

That's what my vet said, too. He said they have never seen any problems
with the drug in cats.

Soon after we got back to work, Harriet went in the litter box. She passed
some very liquid stool, which was expected since she had enemas. I'm sure
it felt better than trying to push out the big, hard feces.

Harriet seemed extra sweet when she got back. She was rubbing around my
ankles in my office and butting heads with anyone who offered their forehead
to her. She chased a wadded up piece of paper around for awhile and seemed
very content. I just hope that she can stay clear with the diet +
Lactulose.

--
Liz

Old August 23rd 05, 01:40 AM
Elizabeth Blake

"Fuga )" wrote in message
I wonder if you could order the propulsid from Canada and have it shipped
down to you.

Is it still available in Canada?

--
Liz

Old August 23rd 05, 01:47 AM
Phil P.

"Elizabeth Blake" wrote in message
oups.com...

My heart goes out to you, Liz. I've worked with constipated cats so I know
how heartbreaking it is to see them suffer.

My nerves were already shot by this point and I
didn't ask what the outcome would be if Harriet does have nerve damage
in her colon (or intestine...?).

Sometimes colonic motility decreases due to smooth muscle deterioration
caused by chronic overdistention.

Has your vet run any blood tests? Hypokalemia and/or hypocalcemia can
adversely affect colonic smooth muscle function.

He said that in the past they would
treat animals with Propulsid (spelling?), a human medication that
helped the body move things along. He said that it caused heart
problems in humans so it was taken off the market, although they never
had an animal with a bad reaction. He said that if the wet food and
Lactulose don't help there may not be anything else they can do.

Speak to your vet about ranitidine (Xantac) dosed at 1 to 3.5mg/kg every 12
to 24 hours. Ranitidine is in the H2 receptor antagonist drug class- and
stimulates colonic motility through inhibition of synaptic
acetylcholinestierase. Cimetidine (Tagamet) and famotidine (Pepcid) are in
the same drug class but they don't have the same effect in cats, so you
can't use either as a substitute for ranitidine (been there tried that-
didn't work). I've had pretty good luck with a regimen of lactulose and
ranitidine. Ranitidine doesn't work in all constipated cats- but it works in
enough cats to justify trying it.

Also, speak to your vet about pediatric rectal suppositories such as Colace
or glycerine. Both are available in preloaded pediatric rectal syringes.
Fleet also makes a *plain pediatric glycerin* preparation. Please be
*very* careful not to confuse Fleet pediatric glycerin preparations with
regular Fleet enemas.

Please *DO NOT EVER* use sodium phosphate retention enemas such as Fleet
enemas in cats- they can cause *fatal* electrolyte imbalances in cats.
Similarly, *never* use mineral oil orally in cats because of the danger of
fatal aspiration pneumonia due the lack of taste. Mineral oil should only
be used *rectally* as lubricant laxative.

If your vet recommends fiber, please make sure Harriet is *well* hydrated to
avoid impaction of the fiber in the colon.

If she's been constipated for more than a few days, the feces may be too dry
and hard to eliminate. Sometimes, manual extraction (under anesthesia) is
the only way to get the cat back on track. Once the dry, hardened feces are
removed, you should be able to manage her with only dietary support and
possibly ranitidine and lactulose.

Get her blood checked. ;-)

Best of luck,

Phil

Old August 23rd 05, 01:48 AM
Ruth E. Russell

Is there a possibility your cat has IBD or colitus? I have a cat with both
of those problems and she occasionally will either have very soft bowel
movements or very firm ones bordering on constipation.