Indoor cats

Old August 18th 05, 02:55 PM

Well I don't think we should have pets and keep them in prison if they
don't want to stay in. Mine goes out in the summer and its safe, if it
wasn't safe I guess I wouldn't have got a cat, I'd have got a goldfish.

Old August 18th 05, 02:56 PM

Well said that man.

Old August 18th 05, 03:09 PM

foxes. I don't think an urban British fox would attack a cat,
perhaps a bunny or chicken in a cage but not a cat, there's more than
enough food for them without even attempting a cat. Plus surely a cat
would win hands down against a British fox? I think the fox would leg
it rather than attack, whereas the cat might have a go just cos it's a
cat and that's what cats do.

To be honest, in England anyway, I'd be much more worried about what a
cat was going to get up to with the local wildlife/birds rather than
anything getting to the cat. I found somebodies pet hamster or
something not sure it was such a mess in my garden, and it wasn't Otis
that did it which was weird.

Old August 18th 05, 03:16 PM

Jennifer. Around central London there isn't too much roadkill LOL
(apart from the odd Brazilian, no don't get me started on that). You
do see pigeons, and outside of London (though I don't drive so I'm not
out on the road that often in the country), rabbits, foxes (more foxes
apparently got killed by cars than when it was legal to hunt them,
still glad it was banned tho). I've never seen a dead cat or dog thank
god. I know you have to report a dog if you run it over, but not a
cat. I guess the people that live in the country here have more
experience than me. I did see something gorgeous a while back though,
a mummy fox and her cubs living on a main road, at the petrol station,
behind a billboard. I just stood and stared for ages at them
frolicking around so innocently, unaware of the danger they were in
from people.

Old August 18th 05, 03:21 PM
Karen

wrote in message
oups.com...
Well I don't think we should have pets and keep them in prison if they
don't want to stay in. Mine goes out in the summer and its safe, if it
wasn't safe I guess I wouldn't have got a cat, I'd have got a goldfish.

The problem over here is if you went by that rule a huge percentage of the
population would not have cats and there would be a worse homeless problem
than now. I live in a fairly large city and still late at night you can see
predators in town, especially towards the edges. We have a big rural
population and so you would nix out all those people. I mean, it's just not
the same thing. Now I persoanlly grew up with indoor outdoor cats and I sure
wish mine could be, but I don't own a house. We don't have the kind of
enclosed gardens you guys have either. Certainly apartment dwellers have no
garden or yard, so then you would whack out a whole other part of the
population from having cats. Does that seem practical?

Old August 18th 05, 03:45 PM
Phil P.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Well I don't think we should have pets and keep them in prison

Indoor life for a cats only seems like 'prison' to you because perhaps you
don't know very much about cats and you also lack the imagination and
creativity
to create a stimulating and interesting indoor environment for your cat.
Its much easier and takes less effort to mindlessly swing open the door.
Some people have a cat door because even opening the door takes too much
thought and effort.

The time has past when we can debate about where cats should live. The cats
are here, now, and we are responsible for them. I think you shouldn't have
a cat if you can't provide a safe environment for her.

Old August 18th 05, 03:46 PM
Phil P.

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

For my part, if I were unable to allow a cat outdoors through risk of
predators or any other reason, I simply wouldn't have a cat.

That's not practical or even realistic in the USA because that mentality
would result in millions upon millions of homeless cats and a 10 times
increase in shelter killings.

Old August 18th 05, 04:32 PM
cardkitty

My little Siega loves to go outside.. but we only let her when we are
out too. Here in Arizona, sometimes our concrete porch (and often even
the dirt) will be too hot for her feet (of course she doesn't believe
us 'til she trys it for herself.) Plus, after being outside for a
little while she starts to chew on some of the grasses and weeds.
Yeah, then she either chocks on it then spits it out or gets a little
sick. She still hasn't figured that one out so we just watch her while
we're out.

Kathryn

Who are Kathryn & Siega?
http://www.CardsYourWay.US/about_me.html