Sapphire

Old April 19th 04, 09:04 PM
Barb

Default Sapphire

This week my Sapphire has to have a tooth pulled. She will need light
anesthesia. To make matters worse she doesn't seem to jump anymore and goes
up the stairs slowly. The vet gave her a cortisone shot a week ago which if
it helped would mean she has arthritis. I don't think it helped. She is
14. When I bring her in for the tooth I will ask the vet to give her a
blood test to see what is what.

Beyond that she seems very healthy, eats very well, is a little on the heavy
side and is a very happy cat that really seems to enjoy her life. She goes
out on her deck every day, even in 20 degree weather unless it's windy or
rainy.

She also is an absolutely perfect angel.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old April 19th 04, 10:39 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:04:31 GMT, "Barb"
wrote:

This week my Sapphire has to have a tooth pulled. She will need light
anesthesia. To make matters worse she doesn't seem to jump anymore and goes
up the stairs slowly. The vet gave her a cortisone shot a week ago which if
it helped would mean she has arthritis. I don't think it helped. She is
14. When I bring her in for the tooth I will ask the vet to give her a
blood test to see what is what.

Beyond that she seems very healthy, eats very well, is a little on the heavy
side and is a very happy cat that really seems to enjoy her life. She goes
out on her deck every day, even in 20 degree weather unless it's windy or
rainy.

She also is an absolutely perfect angel.

My Siamese (RB) had two teeth pulled when she was 15 (more or less)
and she got along just fine. She had been having trouble eating and
it was apparently because the teeth hurt. Best of luck.

Old April 19th 04, 11:29 PM
Karen

If she has a bad tooth, you may be suprised how much better she feels after
getting it out. I would however benefit from a complet geriatric blood
workup (maybe skewed potassium? That can affect walking) and check for
arthritis. Cortisone does NOT necessarily help that in cats. The only relief
my vet has found for some of her arthritic cats is supplements like
Cosequin. She did not even believe in it until she had a cat that was so bad
she sent the owners to the vet colleg at Kansas U. They said they couldn't
do anything. So having NOTHING to lose she gave her cliet a box of Cosequin
and could NOT believe it was the same cat 8 weeks later. Since then , she
swears by it.

Karen

Old April 20th 04, 04:01 PM
Barb

Karen, I will print out your letter and definitely ask the vet about these
things. He had mentioned some various possible medications but I don't
remember the names of them. If it's lack of potassium or arthritis it would
be great because these things can be managed.

Thanks for the input,
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

Old April 22nd 04, 08:10 PM
Barb

Thanks for the info. The vet called and Sapphire's extraction is done.
She's fine and I have to call around five to see if she's ready to be picked
up. I felt awful leaving her this morning and can't understand how at this
stage in my life I am not a lot tougher!

Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.