blood work mystery

Old April 21st 04, 01:49 AM
DG511

Default blood work mystery

My little male cat, Eddie, is 9 years old. In preparation for dental work, I
had his blood work done, as my vet requires. The vet called me this afternoon
and said that his white cell count was slightly depressed (3,100), his red cell
count slightly elevated (didn't catch the number, as I was too stunned), and
his calcium count a bit high. We're delaying the dental and retesting him in 3
weeks.

He has no other symptoms of anything. He's eating like a little pig, otherwise
behaving normally, and from what I can tell on my old scale, he is at or
slightly over his last weight at the vet's office.

The vet said that in her experience, about half the time these numbers improve
on their own. The other half of the time, they come to indicate something,
with the worst-case scenario being cancer, a bone marrow disorder, or an
autoimmune disease. She said she'd be more concerned if Eddie weren't eating.

But I'm concerned. I fret, it's part of my personality. I'm trying to be
optimistic, and I get the impression my vet told me what she could, but if
anyone else has any information or experience with this kind of thing, I'd be
grateful if you'd pass it along.

Thanks.

Daria
Timing is everything.
Old April 23rd 04, 11:29 PM
Liz

omic (DG511) wrote in message ...
Laura R.

writes:

The things your vet said were the first things that popped into my
head as I was reading it. During Alex's battle (my cat who I lost to
intestinal lymphosarcoma last August- he did *very* well on chemo for
quite some time), I did a lot of reading, and understanding his
bloodwork became crucial.

It sounds to me as though the vet is on track. I'd see what the next
round of bloodwork shows, and try not to worry too much until then.
Easier said than done, I know. Believe me, I know. But try not to
worry too much just yet. And please keep us updated.

Thanks, Laura.

I'm a bit calmer now. I looked at my cat books and did some searching online,
and I can't find *lower* white blood counts associated with much. Do you have
any suggested sources on bloodwork -- books, links, etc.?

Eddie is an indoor cat, and over the past 9 years has had contact with only one
other cat -- my other indoor cat. So I doubt he's picked up a virus. One of
the things my vet has said in the past is that I'm one of her "best" owners --
I'm observant, and I call her or bring my cats in when there's a change in
behavior. I think I probably am pretty observant, and I've seen no change in
Eddie's behavior. He's eating well, pooping well, running around at the usual
times, and sleeping at the usual times. So I'm hoping this is just some weird
little anomaly that goes away on its own.

Daria
Timing is everything

I guess Cheryl and L misread that white cell count. Was he tested for
feline AIDS (FIV)? The calcium could be related to low kidney
function. Were all other numbers such as creatinine alright? This is
something for Phil to look at. He´s good with blood biochemistry.