Tales from the Mouser - Island Shore Leave

Old October 9th 04, 01:28 AM
Mischief

Default Tales from the Mouser - Island Shore Leave

So it's been a while, but I finally came up with something .

If this is posted twice, please reply to only one so the story stays
with the same thread.
***********************

It had been a very long time at sea, and a long perilous journey; but
finally after many weeks, the Mouser finally docked near the coveted
island paradise they've been waiting for. All the kitties were eager
for shore leave. Private Sammy and Tabitha had their paws on the edge
of the ship, their tails twitchin with anticipation.

"Oooooo, I can't wait!" Said Sammy, "Nikki promised me that she would
take me vole hunting."

"Frank told me that there are many trees to climb and lots of birds to
chase." said Tabitha.

"Avast ye swabbies!!!" howled Smokey, the bosun. Sammy and Tabitha
jumped to attention. "There still be a lot of work to do before
you'll be released for shore leave. Help Ozzie and Boyfriend haul in
those ropes."

"Aye aye, sir!" said Tabitha, but Sammy was still looking at the
island.

"MOVE IT!!!!" Both kittens defied gravity and then quickly ran to
help haul in the ropes. Meanwhile, Imp wandered on board followed by
Mischief.

"Wow, look at that, Imp, " said Mischief. "An entire island for us
kitties to romp and play. I can't wait to play tag with Lacey."

"It's very pretty," said Imp. "But I'll be content with finding a
nice shady spot for a nice long nap."

Mischief was about to reply when Sergeant Huey walked up. "Pardon me,
Mischief, but Lacey needs your assistance. I told her to finish
cleaning up that barrel of cream down below, and I think she got her
head stuck."

"Aye, sir, I'll take care of it." Mischief trotted off.

"Imp, would you mind heading up to the crow's nest to see if there's
anything on the shore?" asked Huey.

Imp gulped. Even after being at sea for such a long time, the crow's
nest still scared him. "Uh, yes....sir."

Sergeant Huey slapped him on the back. "Good for you. You're getting a
little bit of a backbone, you'll be a tough tom when this voyage is
through."

".....hope I'll still have all nine lives when this is over...."
muttered Imp as he made his way up.

Sergeant Huey turned to see Cap'n Pine Cone and Smoggleberry
approaching. "Fair weather Cap'n. Island looks better than ever."

Cap'n Pine Cone took a deep breath. "Ahhhhh......the air is ripe for
hunting. The kitties will have lots of fun tonight."

Smoggleberry licked his lips, "I'm looking forward to a feast of roast
vole and barbequed pheasant."

"And you shall have it, Smogg. We all will. Sergeant, commence
docking procedures and put together a scouting party."

"Aye-aye sir!"

Cap'n Pine surveyed the island and took another deep breath. This was
going to be a shore leave to remember.

hehehehehehehehehehe,

Kristi
Old October 10th 04, 08:52 PM
Mischief

"Lower the gangplank!!!" The plank hit the shore with a resounding
THUMP and a small cloud of sand.

Sammy and Tabitha had been waiting for this and took off in hopes of
being the first to walk on the island.

"HALT!!!!!!!!" Both kittens skidded to a halt at the very edge of the
plank, scant inches from the sand. "Who gave you permission to go
ashore?"
boomed Smokey's voice.

Sammy turned and pointed at Tabitha. "She made me do it!"

"Hey, I did NOT!!" said Tabitha

"Did too! "Did not!" "Did too!!" "Did Not!!"

"SILENCE!!" Both kittens froze. They looked up and saw Sergeant Huey
at the top of the plank looking down at them.

"You kitties better get back here, until we know the shore is safe."

"Why? It looks pretty safe to me." said Sammy. Before Huey could
answer, Lacey peered over the edge.

"Because there could be sand dogs lurking out there." Tabitha and
Sammy looked at each other. "Did you say DOGS??"

"Yep, everyone knows that sand dogs lurk beneath the sand just waiting
for an innocent animal to come walking by and BAM!!! They burst out
and snatch you and drag you into the ocean to eat you." Lacey turned
and winked at Huey. Huey looked down at the two wide-eyed kittens.

"Is that true?" Asked Tabitha. After a brief pause, Huey spoke,

"She's right. You don't want to be caught by the dreaded sand dogs.
They drag you into the ocean and get you all WET!!! And they just
LOVE young kittens to snack on." Lacey suddenly pointed,

"Look out, there's one!!" Both kittens defied gravity and Sergeant
Huey barely got out of the way as two streaks flew up the plank past
him and hid behind a coil of rope. They huddled for a moment when
they heard something. It sounded like..............laughter?

Sammy peeked out and saw that everyone was laughing. Mischief was
rolling on the ground and even Cap'n Pine Cone was cracking a smile.

After a moment Capn' Pine Cone came over and patted her on the head.
"It's okay, Sammy, they're just kidding. There are no such things as
sand dogs. In fact, I promise you that you won't find one dog on the
entire island." Sammy blinked.

"I............I knew ALL along you were joking. I wasn't scared. I
was......just protecting Tabitha."

"You too were scared," said Tabitha. "Your tail is still poofed out."

"Uh, guys?" Sergeant Huey called, "While you're arguing, Lacey is
going to be the first onto shore."

Both kittens immediately realized what that meant and took off towards
the gangplank. Meanwhile, Lacey was sauntering down to the edge of
the plank. She stopped at the bottom and cautiously sniffed the sand.
She was just about to step off the plank when she heard a noise. She
turned and her eyes grew wide.

In her eagerness to be the first kitten to walk on the island, Sammy
misjudged the angle of the platform and promptly tripped and fell face
down on the plank. Tabitha, also going at top speed was unable to
stop in time and crashed into Sammy. Lacey froze as she saw this ball
of kittens rolling down towards her.

Capn' Pine Cone, Sergeant Huey, and even Smoggleberry all winced at
the impact. They watched as all three kittes rolled across the sand
like a ball and winced again as they hit a palm tree and went flying
all directions.

Tabitha shook her head, but the world was still spinning. Sammy was
trying to spit out a mouthful of sand and Lacey was sprawled out on
her back. Slowly all three came to their senses and looked up in time
to see Capn' Pine Cone descend off the plank and onto the shore,
followed by Sergeant Huey and Smoggleberry.

"Landing party has commenced, sir." said Sergeant Huey.

"Correction, landing party has CRASHED." Smogg stifled a laugh.
"Sergeant select a scouting party and scout the area. Mr. Smokey,
begin unloading the camp supplies."

As he turned and walked off, Lacey looked at Sammy, who was still
spitting out sand.

"See? (spitspit) I KNEW there were (spithack) no such things as
(spitspitHACK) sand dogs. Right, Tabitha?' They both looked at
Tabitha and saw there was strange look on her face. Lacey suddenly
knew what it meant.

"No, Tabitha, don't......" Too late. Tabitha let out a gigantic
sneeze

WWWAAAAAACCCCHHHHOOOOOOO!!!!!

The sneeze sprayed a large cloud of sand into the air and all over
them. Sammy scowled and glared at Tabitha. Tabitha shook her head
and meekly said,

"Um, excuse me?"

To be continued............

Kristi
(who SHOULD be studying)

Old October 10th 04, 11:47 PM
CatNipped

"Mischief" wrote in message
om...

a WHALE of a good story snipped

ROTFLMAOWTIME!!!!!!

*VERY* good story, excellent!!

Sorry, I meant to post about the first shore leave story but got busy
washing clothes for work tomorrow. I absolutely *LOVE* your writing - I
don't know how you can capture the essence of Sammy so well having never met
her, but you've got her down pat!!

Thank you very much for a very entertaining tale!!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 11th 04, 01:52 AM
O J

On 10 Oct , Mischief wrote:

---------------------snip----------------------
To be continued............

I can hardly wait. 'Sand dogs', what a thing to tell poor little
kittens on their first shore leave -- HeHeHeh!

Regards and Purrs,
O J

Old October 11th 04, 03:43 AM
Mischief

BTW, I met a BIG Maine Coone last week, and I think you've mentioned
that Sammy is a Maine Coone. Well this one in the clinic was quite
big, and if Sammy is a hellion as a kitten, I don't even want to think
about what she will be like as an adult cat.

Kristi

Old October 11th 04, 06:54 AM
Sherry

BTW, I met a BIG Maine Coone last week, and I think you've mentioned
that Sammy is a Maine Coone. Well this one in the clinic was quite
big, and if Sammy is a hellion as a kitten, I don't even want to think
about what she will be like as an adult cat.

Kristi

MC's aren't too active as adults, or at least the ones I"ve met through the cat
shows. They're mostly just big old goofy love sucks. My grandcat Orion is huge.
Everything about him is huge. I had to go up and feed him this weekend, as the
kids were at The Big Game in Dallas (go Sooners). Anyway, everytime he would
run and greet me, I was astounded all over again at the hugeness of this cat.
I"d guess 30 pounds and his back is at least a foot off the ground. But he's
very timid, and very polite, and has a tiny little chirpy trill instead of the
bellowing Siamese-ish meows that I'm used to.
So, after the teenage-kitten stage is over, they are nothing like, for example,
Siamese, or Abyssinian or Devon Rex, the ones that are so active. Probably a
good thing, given their size.

Sherry