3 kittens born - help

Old August 9th 05, 01:51 PM
Calvin Rice

Kitkat wrote:
Git your digicam ready, papa! Any progress w/mamakat?

I have a camera ready, but I've been hesitant to subject the
mother to a flash. Any Ideas about the possible effects?

Any progress w/mamakat?

We seem to be in a peaceful routine. She hasn't hissed and
growled at me lately. She continues to eat very well when I'm
out of the room, and use the litterbox. The last time I looked
in, leaving her food this morning, she wasn't in her usual
defensive position, but was lying back with the kittens nursing,
which I love to see.

-cr

Old August 9th 05, 05:20 PM
Kitkat

Calvin Rice wrote:
Kitkat wrote:

Git your digicam ready, papa! Any progress w/mamakat?

I have a camera ready, but I've been hesitant to subject the
mother to a flash. Any Ideas about the possible effects?

Hard to say, but I take lots of pictures of my cats and it doesnt seem
to bother them at all. Is there enough light in there during the day to
get some pix without flash?

Pam
Old August 9th 05, 06:01 PM
Calvin Rice

Kitkat wrote:
Hard to say, but I take lots of pictures of my cats
and it doesnt seem to bother them at all. Is there
enough light in there during the day to get some
pix without flash?

Not enough light in the closet without flash. I've taken
many cat pictures with a flash, but I was worried about
this mother cat's reaction while protecting her kittens.
I think I'll go ahead and try it, because I really want to
take some pictures of these tiny kittens, and they're
already two days old.

-cr

Old August 10th 05, 08:30 AM
bluemaxx

Calvin, I'm very glad that you let the kittens be born instead of
taking mama cat in to have them aborted. I only saw that happen
once, to a dog, but the bitch was never the same afterwards and would
mother small toys so pitifully.

I was also wondering... do you talk to the mama cat when you visit
her? If you don't talk to her, I'd suggest that you go ahead and talk
to her very quietly, and use a higher pitched voice than your usual
timbre. I've read that cats like high pitched voices the best. Ü
Linda

"Calvin Rice" wrote in message
ups.com...
:

Old August 10th 05, 08:59 PM
Calvin Rice

Here are some pictures

http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crkittens.html

but they're not very good. They're cropped, not zoomed,
and taken with a film camera, with flash, in a very dim
closet. The camera is a lot farther from the cats than
it might appear.

I'm going to get a digital camera in the next day or two,
and post some much better pictures, so you can at least
see the kittens individually, instead of just a black blob.

-cr

Old August 10th 05, 09:13 PM
Calvin Rice

bluemaxx wrote:
I was also wondering... do you talk to the mama cat when you visit
her? If you don't talk to her, I'd suggest that you go ahead and talk
to her very quietly, and use a higher pitched voice than your usual
timbre. I've read that cats like high pitched voices the best. =DC

I talk when I'm in the room, but I haven't been spending much time
in there - only replacing food and water, clearing the litter box,
sweeping up a little, and briefly looking into the closet.

The mother never comes out of the closet while I'm in the room.
I've sat there a while a couple of times, but then left so she could
eat. I found by using a video camera that she comes out to see
what food has been left just as soon as I go out and close the door.

I'll try to stay longer and use a more high-pitched voice.

-cr

Old August 10th 05, 09:29 PM
Kitkat

Calvin Rice wrote:
bluemaxx wrote:

I was also wondering... do you talk to the mama cat when you visit
her? If you don't talk to her, I'd suggest that you go ahead and talk
to her very quietly, and use a higher pitched voice than your usual
timbre. I've read that cats like high pitched voices the best. Ü

I talk when I'm in the room, but I haven't been spending much time
in there - only replacing food and water, clearing the litter box,
sweeping up a little, and briefly looking into the closet.

The mother never comes out of the closet while I'm in the room.
I've sat there a while a couple of times, but then left so she could
eat. I found by using a video camera that she comes out to see
what food has been left just as soon as I go out and close the door.

I'll try to stay longer and use a more high-pitched voice.

-cr

My cat, Luna, goes BESERK when I use a very high pitched voice. She
rolls over on her back and looks UBER cute!

Old August 11th 05, 12:13 AM
mlbriggs

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:59:45 -0700, Calvin Rice wrote:

Here are some pictures

http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crkittens.html

but they're not very good. They're cropped, not zoomed, and taken with a
film camera, with flash, in a very dim closet. The camera is a lot
farther from the cats than it might appear.

I'm going to get a digital camera in the next day or two, and post some
much better pictures, so you can at least see the kittens individually,
instead of just a black blob.

-cr

She is a pretty cat. Purrs that everything goes well and that she bonds
with you. MLB
Old August 11th 05, 12:19 AM
mlbriggs

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 05:03:56 +0000, Kitkat wrote:

Calvin Rice wrote:
Latest recount: six.

Maybe it's time for the Supreme Court to step in and stop the recounts.

I wonder if the vet really would have aborted this litter if the mother
had been brought in last week. It would have been a massacre.

-cr

Holy Kittens! Git your digicam ready, papa!

Any progress w/mamakat?

Six? That probably is where you learned to worry! MLB

Old August 11th 05, 04:12 AM
Rhonda

I think you have to watch the flash more closely in a few days, when
they start cracking open their eyes.

Try getting 800 speed film and see how that does.

Rhonda