old cat with carpet

Old September 3rd 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

Default old cat with carpet

"Robin" wrote in message
Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.

Any suggestions?

Bring your scratching post(s) with you and he should just continue using
them and not the carpet. If you don't have scratching posts I'd suggest
getting one (make sure it's tall enough so your cat can stretch fully and
stable enough that it won't tip over). Some cats like horizontal surfaces
to scratch on, and they're the ones more likely to scratch carpet, but there
are several nice horizontal scratching posts out there now - get whichever
kind your cat likes (at 17, I'm sure you know his preferences). If he's
never had a scratching post before, try rubbing catnip on the new post to
encourage him to use it.

Pet hair on carpet is a PITA, but I've heard the Dyson "Animal" is great for
getting it out.

I wouldn't worry about damage to the carpet, most landlords replace carpet
in their rentals every two years or so and I doubt a cat could do so much
damage that it would need replacing sooner. This expense is just one of the
requirements of being a landlord, so don't let him give you a lot of flack
over it. A pet deposit (if you're paying one) should more than cover an
damage your cat may do.

Good luck with the move!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old September 5th 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dejablues[_4_]

"Robin" wrote in message
On Aug 31, 11:26 pm, "dejablues" wrote:
"Robin" wrote in message

Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.

Any suggestions?

Hmm...what a dilemma.
Old cat or carpet, old cat or carpet... Screw the ****ing carpet, your cat
has only a few years left to live, let him do what he wants.
Not all places on the east coat have carpet, why would you think that?
Apparently your cat is a bother to your hardwood floors also.
If your cat is a hindrance to your frequent moving plans, it would be
kinder
to put him down rather than subject him to the stress of moving yet again.

EXCUSE ME..... I am renting. All of the places my husband was able to

find on a week's notice had carpet. I AM ASKING FOR ADVICE. Not
putting the cat down, not leaving him behind, he is MY cat.

You are not putting your cats needs first.

What kind of idiot says things like that to someone asking for help.

You're the idiot. Just listen to yourself! I hope you can live with yourself
making your cats last few years a confused mess.

I don't want carpet. but the fabulous AND cheap house my husband found
HAS CARPET and I'm going to have to deal with it.

Keep looking. Hmm, fabulous! Cheap! Carpet! Cat! You choose.

SO hence, how do I keep my healthy enthusiastic 17 year old cat from
scratching it and damaging it.

You can't. Your 17-year-old cat is the equivalent of an 84-year-old person.
It is cruel to expect them to change.

Someone should put down YOUR cats.

Hahaha, asshat.

Old September 5th 08, 06:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

"dejablues" dejablues comcast.net wrote:

"Robin" vitalflame gmail.com wrote in message

Someone should put down YOUR cats.

Hahaha, asshat.

I wonder why so many trolls have

From: "dejablues" dejablues comcast.net
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Subject: old cat with carpet
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 23:38:00 -0400

Old September 5th 08, 06:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Robin wrote:

Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an
apartment with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it
seems like all the places have carpet. So what can I do to keep
him from scratching it up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about
putting down an area rug to protect their carpet, but not sure if
that will help.

Any suggestions?

Cats scratch things for exercise. If you give it lots of exercise
equipment, it won't excessively scratch other things. My setup is
probably considered elaborate, but there are lots of other
possibilities. Just think "scratching exercise".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2821044558/

Unfortunately, there is some debate about whether fire retarding
chemicals on carpet can lead to problems for cats, maybe
time/research will tell us about that someday.

--
I realize it's an old post, so this is for the archive.
Old September 6th 08, 06:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stampir

"Petzl" wrote in message
On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 14:59:26 +1000, Petzl wrote:

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:57:31 -0700 (PDT), Robin
wrote:

On Sep 2, 1:39 am, Petzl wrote:
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 18:28:23 -0700 (PDT), Robin
wrote:

Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.

Any suggestions?

Don't worry about it

While many pluses with carpet, negatives are hygiene, they harbor bugs
bacteria & smells

With carpet (regardless of pets) you need to get them cleaned by
carpet cleaners (6 monthly?) who will deodorize and steam clean
carpets.

dry clean versions of carpet cleaning available.

I personally prefer steam cleaning

Your local paper should be full of businesses that do this at very
competitive rates

The one I use uses water as fast as tap delivers it heats it up with
soap/detergent(?) and pumps sudsy water down drain/sewer leaving
carpet dry and ready

If pet/cat has accident you need paper towels then finish with mop and
water (disinfectant added, I use "wool wash with Eucalyptus")

Petzl
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

thank you very much for your sensible advice. I will be purchasing a
good vacuum like you describe.

The "Vacuums" are truck mounted.
These services are offered by professional cleaners
check local paper
In Sydney Australia they are not expensive (AU$40)

Although your own vacuum will also be needed
Petzl

Just to make things clearer here is a Sydney wide company that offers
this service
http://www.targetcarpetcleaning.com.au/

But shop around locals offer much better pricing
Petzl

Petzl, you don't post to aus.politics do you? If so, you're one of the
good people over there!

Old September 6th 08, 06:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stampir

"Robin" wrote in message

[...]

***********************8
I just wanted to say that guy/gal was way outta line jumping all over
you like that. Sometimes it seems like common courtesy is a dead concept.

Old September 6th 08, 11:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 22:16:52 -0700, "Stampir" wrote:

"Petzl" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 14:59:26 +1000, Petzl wrote:

[snip]
Just to make things clearer here is a Sydney wide company that offers
this service
http://www.targetcarpetcleaning.com.au/

But shop around locals offer much better pricing
Petzl

Petzl, you don't post to aus.politics do you? If so, you're one of the
good people over there!

Thanks
Yes I do regularly post to "aus.politics"

Petzl