Harvey is fine.

Old August 14th 04, 03:25 PM
Lots42 The Library Avenger

Default Harvey is fine.

Harvey was destined to be right in the way of Charley's storm surge, along with
his doggy pals but everyone came through unscathed.

So...anyone know WTF the deal is with animal shelters hurricane wise? I have
absolutely no damn clue.
--
Willow: Then talk. Keep eye contact. Funny is good, but don't be glib. And
remember, if you hurt her, I will beat you to death with a shovel. A vague

Old August 14th 04, 04:42 PM
MaryL

"Lots42 The Library Avenger" wrote in message
Harvey was destined to be right in the way of Charley's storm surge, along

with
his doggy pals but everyone came through unscathed.

So...anyone know WTF the deal is with animal shelters hurricane wise? I

have
absolutely no damn clue.
--
Willow: Then talk. Keep eye contact. Funny is good, but don't be glib. And
remember, if you hurt her, I will beat you to death with a shovel. A vague
disclaimer is nobody's friend. Have fun.

I can't answer your question about shelters in the direct path of a
hurricane because we are too far north for a direct hit (fortunately).
However, we had major flooding on a couple of occasions as a result of an
"extended area" north of the hurricane. On at least occasions, the animal
shelter flooded shelter personnel literally saved the occupants by getting
into the shelter in rowboats. They placed cats and dogs in carriers, rowed
out, and transferred the carriers to others who took them either to local
vets or to "safe havens" that various people provided. The water rose and
it became clear that they would not be able to do this for all animals, so
they then opened doors on holding pens to permit the occupants to get out.
This definitely was not ideal, but it saved a lot of cats and dogs. The
city built a new animal shelter this year -- on high ground, so this should
not be a problem in the future. Incidentally, people fleeing from
hurricanes also seek shelter here. The university often opens dormitories,
and public schools use auditoriums and other facilities.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old August 14th 04, 08:49 PM
John F. Eldredge

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old August 14th 04, 08:49 PM
John F. Eldredge

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old August 14th 04, 08:49 PM
John F. Eldredge

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old August 14th 04, 09:11 PM
MaryL

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

I haven't been through a hurricane, either, and I want to keep it that way.
I am about 145 miles north of Houston (and Houston is some miles north of
the Gulf -- I would guess about 50 miles). This means we are too far inland
for storm surges. Even so, we sometimes get a lot of rain as a side effect
of a Hurricane, and many people from Galveston or Houston make their way
this far north when they evacuate.

MaryL