Questions about FeLV/FIV (was Pics of the vicious biting kitten!!!!)

Old September 19th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Questions about FeLV/FIV (was Pics of the vicious biting kitten!!!!)

"Mischief" wrote:
I'm really starting to fall for her. I carry her around and I sat at
the front desk leaning back with the bitty on my chest, and she tucked
herself under my neck.

I really hope that there will be a happy ending and a good forever
home for her. I know you probably won't be able to adopt her, but
could you let us know how things go?

I don't know much about FeLV and FIV, but I'm wondering whether cats
that test positive for these can usually get adopted, and who adopts
them? Also, how long do they typically live?

Old September 19th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Takayuki wrote:
"Mischief" wrote:
I'm really starting to fall for her. I carry her around and I sat at
the front desk leaning back with the bitty on my chest, and she tucked
herself under my neck.

I really hope that there will be a happy ending and a good forever
home for her. I know you probably won't be able to adopt her, but
could you let us know how things go?

I don't know much about FeLV and FIV, but I'm wondering whether cats
that test positive for these can usually get adopted, and who adopts
them? Also, how long do they typically live?

Hi Tak---I can only speak for what our shelter does FeVL+ cats.
They are usually euthanized. It's very sad, but here's why it is
sometimes necessary: Households willing to adopt them are few and far
between. It has to be someone who has only FeLV+ cats in the home, and
not very many people are willing to adopt them. You can't adopt them
out to someone you cannot absolutely, positively trust. If you do, and
they decide to let them outdoors, they can infect the other
neighborhood cats. So that would make us responsible for spreading the
disease.
But they can remain symptom-free for a long time. I know a cat who
lived eight years after diagnosis. Especially if the cat is protected
from stress.

Sherry

Old September 19th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2006-09-18 22:00:07 -0500, said:

Takayuki wrote:
"Mischief" wrote:
[...]

FeLV cats do well as only cats usually because they have less stress.
It just all depends on the disease. If it matriculates quickly they
live to around 3 it seems in most cases I've heard of. Then again, with
kittens, I think there is a chance to outgrow it. I remember Mary in
LA's Mimi who fought it off with interferon after a year. It's hard to
find someone who will take that uncertainty on.

Old September 19th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Karen wrote:
FeLV cats do well as only cats usually because they have less stress.
It just all depends on the disease. If it matriculates quickly they
live to around 3 it seems in most cases I've heard of. Then again, with
kittens, I think there is a chance to outgrow it. I remember Mary in
LA's Mimi who fought it off with interferon after a year. It's hard to
find someone who will take that uncertainty on.

I didn't know that Mimi didn't have FeLV anymore! I knew that her
kittens were lucky and didn't seem to have it, but I assumed that Mimi
still had it, and assumed that was why she had expanded to fostering
non-cat species. I'm glad for her! I think I still have the issue of
Cat Fancy with her profile in it somewhere.

Old September 19th 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

wrote in message
ps.com...

Takayuki wrote:
"Mischief" wrote:
[...]

It really is hard to make decisions about these cats. The first we learned
about this disease was when out Siamese Henry became ill and died. Our
other cat Ginger then tested positive. She was a feral cat we had taken in
and as best we could tell she brought it with her and infected Henry. She
however lived with it with no noticeable ill effect for another six years.
When she finally did get sick, she just became severely anemic. At least
she had an easy death.

Jo

Old September 19th 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jo Firey wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

Takayuki wrote:
"Mischief" wrote:
[...]

Our Luke (Yoda's brother) somehow contracted feleuk even though he was
vaccinated. He was my daughter's cat. He wasn't symptomatic until she
got married and took him with her. I still think it was the stress. We
tried the interferon but it didn't help him. You know, feleuk is
supposed to be very contagious. But Yoda never tested positive. I think
some cats are just susceptible, more so than others.

Sherry

Old September 19th 06, 07:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Takayuki wrote:
wrote:
Hi Tak---I can only speak for what our shelter does FeVL+ cats.
They are usually euthanized. It's very sad, but here's why it is
sometimes necessary: Households willing to adopt them are few and far
between. It has to be someone who has only FeLV+ cats in the home, and
not very many people are willing to adopt them. You can't adopt them
out to someone you cannot absolutely, positively trust. If you do, and
they decide to let them outdoors, they can infect the other
neighborhood cats. So that would make us responsible for spreading the
disease.
But they can remain symptom-free for a long time. I know a cat who
lived eight years after diagnosis. Especially if the cat is protected
from stress.

Awww, it's so sad that they need to be put to sleep! I can appreciate
that it's for the sake of saving other cats, and I'm sure that that's
the right policy. But after seeing pictures of Bitey Bitty, I hope
that something can be done for her.

I do, too, Tak. I would not trust the feleuk test either. I've seen a
lot of false positives. And a young cat can throw the disease, too. I
hope she is restested and it turns out okay. If not, I hope she can
find an owner. It's very possible for her to have a good life if she
has good care, I truly believe that.

Sherry

Old September 19th 06, 08:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Takayuki wrote:

I don't know much about FeLV and FIV, but I'm wondering whether cats
that test positive for these can usually get adopted, and who adopts
them? Also, how long do they typically live?

Our rescue group will actively try and home FIV cats to indoor-only
homes with no other cats who are willing to take them on, and with good
care an FIV cat can live a long life - 12+ years if lucky. I know of two
personally that have lived full and happy lives and you would never know
they had the virus.

We have homed FeLV cats as well - I once had two adult FeLV cats we
homed to an indoor-only home with no other cats, but there is no
guarantee how long they will live, it can be as little as 6 months, or
can be several years. As others have said it is a peculiar disease in
terms of infectiousness. My friends adopted a 5 month old kitten who
then tested positive for FeLV. He is still alive and in great health 6
years later, and was negative when they retested him a few months later.
I had a rescue semi-feral called Wonky who came from a 'house of horror'
where 50 cats had bred unchecked for years and there was an indoor feral
colony going on. The human occupants never, ever cleaned - or emptied
rubbish, litter trays etc. Think of the worst situation and then triple
it. Anyway the group took all the cats and kittens from the house and
began spaying/neutering them and testing. About one-third of the cats
had FeLV. Wonky was tested and was clear. So it doesn't automatically
spread, but you'd never take a chance and mix them knowingly, even with
the vaccination as it's only 70% effective.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Kitten severed nipple in half! won't deficate. Tony Cats - misc 7 November 12th 04 10:48 PM
questions about very hungry kitten Rick Vigorous Cat health & behaviour 40 June 6th 04 03:13 AM
More kitten pics Marina Cat anecdotes 11 February 26th 04 05:03 AM
Kitten pics! Marina Cat anecdotes 18 February 22nd 04 10:52 PM
Chinese kitten pics OU812? Cat anecdotes 1 September 22nd 03 03:19 PM