Cats and computer monitors

Old November 2nd 04, 09:24 PM
Roby

Default Cats and computer monitors

Upon arriving home yesterday, I discovered that my 17" flat-panel monitor,
keyboard, and speakers had disappeared from my desk. Looking closer, I
found them in a heap behind the desk. The keyboard and speakers survived;
the monitor is no more.

I was really angry, mostly at myself for allowing this to happen. I payed
US$488 for that monitor in June. It was a dandy. The computer is a room
that is open to most of the house: no door to close to keep you-know-who
away.

There are three possible perpetrators here. Two are long-time residents. I
don't think they did it. My guess is it was six-month old Elmo, who is a
furry terror at times. I yelled at Elmo. He hid for a while.

I gave serious thought to packing him off to the nearest no-kill shelter
that very moment. This remains the best protection against a replay of
this disaster, but I just can't do it.

For now, I am laying the (latest) flat-panel monitor face-down on the
desktop when I'm not using it.

Anybody else have a disaster like this?

Roby
Old November 2nd 04, 09:41 PM
Cat Protector

Why would you get so angry that you would give serious thought to dumping
your cat into a shelter. It's only a computer monitor and the cat isn't
responsible if things get knocked over. You need to set the rules down early
and use a squirt bottle whenever you see any of the cats trying to knock
over the monitor.

Two of my cats are always on top of my monitor and are always walking all
over my desk but I would never think of sending them to a shelter for simply
knocking something over. That would be a cruelt thing to do as items can be
replaced.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

Old November 2nd 04, 09:55 PM
J1Boss

Upon arriving home yesterday, I discovered that my 17" flat-panel monitor,
keyboard, and speakers had disappeared from my desk. Looking closer, I
found them in a heap behind the desk. The keyboard and speakers survived;
the monitor is no more.

I yelled at Elmo. He hid for a while.

Do you really think he had any clue why you were yelling?

For now, I am laying the (latest) flat-panel monitor face-down on the
desktop when I'm not using it.

Anybody else have a disaster like this?

Roby

why not arrange the furniture so the desk is against a wall?

Have to say, no - no disaster like this - and I bought my flat-panel when they
were at the top of the price scale (ouch - but my other monitor had died,
so.....). I think the same one is less than 1/3 of the price now.

Janet Boss
http://bestfriendsdogobedience.com/
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

Vote for Change!

Old November 2nd 04, 10:00 PM
ceb

"Cat Protector" wrote in

Why would you get so angry that you would give serious thought to
dumping your cat into a shelter.

I took that to be a "heat of anger" statement... I have been known to wail
"I can't AFFORD to have you RUIN EVERYTHING I OWN" plaintively... I know
that material possessions are not to be compared with living creatures, but
still I think some anger/upsetitude is natural/understandable.

--Catherine
& Rosalie the calicohead

Old November 2nd 04, 11:02 PM
KellyH

"Roby" wrote in message
Upon arriving home yesterday, I discovered that my 17" flat-panel monitor,
keyboard, and speakers had disappeared from my desk. Looking closer, I
found them in a heap behind the desk. The keyboard and speakers survived;
the monitor is no more.

I was really angry, mostly at myself for allowing this to happen. I payed
US$488 for that monitor in June. It was a dandy. The computer is a room
that is open to most of the house: no door to close to keep you-know-who
away.

I can sympathize. My cats are *always* knocking stuff off my desk. I can
barely work sometimes. The speakers are on the floor half the time. I
mounted my two flat-panel monitors to the wall. You may want to try that.
Next house I get, I'm having an office with a door.

There are three possible perpetrators here. Two are long-time residents.
don't think they did it. My guess is it was six-month old Elmo, who is a
furry terror at times. I yelled at Elmo. He hid for a while.

I understand why you were angry, but for future reference, he had no idea
what you were yelling about.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net