Update kitty acne

Old November 4th 04, 03:14 AM
Angela St.Aubin

Default Update kitty acne

After switching to ceramic bowls and waiting for quite some time, one of
my 3 cats still has blackheads and now a few more raised ones that look
inflamed, reddish, maybe even filled with puss. they look like they will
explode if pressed, but im afraid to touch them, and get them infected or
something, or cause her pain.
they are still only around her mouth.
neither of the other cats has anything like this.
is it possible it is something else?
should i be taking her to the vet?

Old November 4th 04, 04:31 AM
Mimi Forsyth

should i be taking her to the vet?

yes

www.mimiforsyth.com

Old November 4th 04, 04:31 AM
Mimi Forsyth

Old November 4th 04, 07:17 AM
Mary

ut im afraid to touch them, and get them infected or
something, or cause her pain.
they are still only around her mouth.

Herpes maybe? I used to use plastic bowls, got cats with acne, switched to
ceramic, they were okay, until they ate out of a plastic outdoor feeder bowl at
my neighbors. I asked her to switch for the benefit of her cats but she
wouldn't...so I finally stole her bowls and replaced them with ceramic!
Muahaha! Everyone was okay after that. Can your cats eat out of any other
bowls, like a neighbors? My cats never got it around the mouth, just the chin.
Mouth sounds like herpes. I had a cat with herpes. I also had an FLV+ cat who
got mouth sores, most were on her inner gums, not the outside mouth.

Old November 4th 04, 02:33 PM
Angela St.Aubin

"Mary" wrote in message
ut im afraid to touch them, and get them infected or
something, or cause her pain.
they are still only around her mouth.

Herpes maybe? I used to use plastic bowls, got cats with acne, switched to
ceramic, they were okay, until they ate out of a plastic outdoor feeder

bowl at
my neighbors. I asked her to switch for the benefit of her cats but she
wouldn't...so I finally stole her bowls and replaced them with ceramic!
Muahaha! Everyone was okay after that. Can your cats eat out of any other
bowls, like a neighbors? My cats never got it around the mouth, just the

chin.
Mouth sounds like herpes. I had a cat with herpes. I also had an FLV+ cat

who
got mouth sores, most were on her inner gums, not the outside mouth.

Im not sure,. i dont know what herpes looks like, or how it works, but i
guess that could be it.
they look almost exactly like human zits.
they are all around her chin, but only close to the mouth, and on the furry
part above her mouth, none are inside, but a few are closer to the fleshy
lips, where there is no fur.

the main thing is that she is an indoor cat, and she has constant contact
with the other 2 cats, who are fine, so i dont think its something
contagious.

Old November 5th 04, 02:44 PM
Phil P.

"Betsy" -0 wrote in message
It's just acne. But personally, I don't think it's a problem to squeeze
them. I always put a combination of antibiotic ointment/prednisone on

them
after expressing the pus.

Bad idea. A cat's chin is loaded with sebaceous glands - squeezing the
pimples can cause more inflammation and also spread or drive bacteria and/or
an infection deeper
into the glands and through the second layer of the skin (dermis - the layer
just below the epidermis).

Warm damp (Epsom salt) compresses will help open up the ducts and draw out
sebum and bacteria. If there's no infection, keep the chin and area around
the mouth clean with just plain warm water or warm saline - benzoyl peroxide
and other chemicals can be irritating to some cats.

....might not even be acne - could be ringworm.

Old November 5th 04, 05:42 PM
Angela St.Aubin

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Betsy" -0 wrote in message
It's just acne. But personally, I don't think it's a problem to squeeze
them. I always put a combination of antibiotic ointment/prednisone on

them
after expressing the pus.

...might not even be acne - could be ringworm.

Is that contagious? The other cats dont have anything? Any way to know for
sure?