Happy 4th July, USAnians

Old July 4th 05, 04:41 AM
Yowie

Default Happy 4th July, USAnians

Happy Independance Day, those who celebrate it.

Yowie

Old July 4th 05, 04:56 AM
Sandy

Thanks, Yowie! Are you having some nice winter weather down under?

Sandy

Old July 4th 05, 04:58 AM
Hopitus

Thank you, Yowie! The Deadly Duo and I are - from our top-floor crow's-nest
apt. - enjoying the great fireworks displays from every suburb of Denver in
our s/w corner view; strangely enough, they don't all happen the same night,
much less on the 4th, which makes it even better. Deadly Duo could care less
re the noise, but the dogs in our building always freak out. Hardly anyone I
know dwells on true meaning of this holiday - it's a day off from work (USA
has less holidays and vacations than other large countries, we hear), BBQ,
picnics, beer-drinking, and water activities if there's any water around.

Old July 4th 05, 05:36 AM

Hopitus wrote:
Thank you, Yowie! The Deadly Duo and I are - from our top-floor crow's-nest
apt. - enjoying the great fireworks displays from every suburb of Denver in
our s/w corner view; strangely enough, they don't all happen the same night,
much less on the 4th, which makes it even better. Deadly Duo could care less
re the noise, but the dogs in our building always freak out. Hardly anyone I
know dwells on true meaning of this holiday - it's a day off from work (USA
has less holidays and vacations than other large countries, we hear), BBQ,
picnics, beer-drinking, and water activities if there's any water around.

Yes, thank you Yowie! At the risk of sounding very un-American, I could
definitely do without the fireworks. I have always hated them. Bah,
humbug.
I'm getting up a 7 a.m. (ugh), to deliver a fan to the Humane
Society--even though the kennels are cooled with a swamp cooler, it was
no match for 116 degrees today. Poor pups. (the cats have a
referigerated air conditioner, BTW) Anyway, then there's a parade, a
big hoop-la in the park, and I think we'll BBQ too.
My FIL is one of the last WWII guys around, and they're always honored
at the beginning of the celebration. Bless their hearts. Our WWII vets
are really getting old.

Sherry

Old July 4th 05, 06:05 AM
Melissa Houle

Yowie wrote in message
Happy Independance Day, those who celebrate it.

Yowie

Thank you, Yowie. I hope your fourth of July is also a good day, even
though it isn't a national holiday in Australia. =o) I have my spareribs
marinating and the crust made for my apple pie. Can't get much more
American than Apple pie.

Melissa

Old July 4th 05, 07:32 AM

Melissa Houle wrote:
Yowie wrote in message
Happy Independance Day, those who celebrate it.

Yowie

Thank you, Yowie. I hope your fourth of July is also a good day, even
though it isn't a national holiday in Australia. =o) I have my spareribs
marinating and the crust made for my apple pie. Can't get much more
American than Apple pie.

Melissa

Except Apple Pie didn't originate in America. IIRC pie-making skills,
along with apple seeds, came over with the Pilgrims. I wonder about hot
dogs. What's that jingle, baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet?

Sherry

Old July 4th 05, 07:32 AM
Yoj

"Yowie" wrote in message
Happy Independance Day, those who celebrate it.

Yowie

Thank you, Yowie.

Joy

Old July 4th 05, 10:06 AM
wafflycat

"Yowie" wrote in message
Happy Independance Day, those who celebrate it.

Yowie

Ditto from me.

Cheers, helen s

Old July 4th 05, 11:13 AM
Hans Schrøder

"Yowie" wrote in message
Happy Independance Day, those who celebrate it.

Yes, happy Independance Day from me, too!

In fact, there is one more celebration today: Our Queen Sonja of Norway is
celebrating her 68th birthday today. I guess most of my fellow Norwegians
don't remember. This is not a day for heavy celebration. The Queen herself
is having a private party at the Royal family's country house on an island
south of Oslo, while her husband, King Harald, is participating in a regatta
in Sweden...

Have a nice day, all!

Hans, Tinùviel and Teti