Spotty is Spotty Again :)

Old October 18th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Spotty is Spotty Again :)

I took the little spotted kitty to the vet suggested by the founder of The
House of Mews to be tested for leukemia and AIDS. They already had a
'Taffy' in the system so I said just call her 'Spotty'. Spotty turned out
to be a neutered little boy! Surprise!!

And what a good boy! Nary a peep out of him while we were driving over to
the vet. (Persia would have started yowling the moment I put her in the
carrier.) The vet's office had two lovely tortie siblings in a big tall
cage in the waiting room. Very friendly affectionate cats. The
receptionist told me they were strays that had been dumped and they took
them in. They had a hammock and when I arrived they were in the hammock and
big brother was kneading the little sister and they were both purring up a
storm. How sweet!

The test results for Spotty were negative. So then I drove Spotty to The
House of Mews. Elaine took one look and said, "Oh, he's gorgeous! And just
different enough looking that we won't have any problem getting him adopted,
I'm sure!"

It was so hard to take him away but I know he'll be in good hands. They'll
get the mats cut out of his fur, fatten him up and let him run around in the
shop with the other cats until someone falls in love and gives him a forever
home.

That shop is one you can't miss if you visit Memphis. There are cats all
over the place I was filling out paperwork and a gorgeous white
long-haired kitty with blue eyes kept rubbing up against my legs. It's
located at S. Cooper and Young, right on the corner, if you ever need to
know. It's a no-kill rescue organization in an old midtown storefront
property. There are cat trees and baskets and *cats!* in the windows where,
I would imagine, mannequins and merchandise used to be displayed once upon a
time.

Jill

Old October 18th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"jmcquown" wrote

That shop is one you can't miss if you visit Memphis. There are cats all
over the place I was filling out paperwork and a gorgeous white
long-haired kitty with blue eyes kept rubbing up against my legs. It's
located at S. Cooper and Young, right on the corner, if you ever need to
know. It's a no-kill rescue organization in an old midtown storefront
property. There are cat trees and baskets and *cats!* in the windows
where,
I would imagine, mannequins and merchandise used to be displayed once upon
time.

It's just a few blocks from where my friend John lives. Whenever I go to
Memphis to visit him, I visit House of Mews. What a great place!

Old October 18th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Pat wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote

That shop is one you can't miss if you visit Memphis. There are
cats all over the place I was filling out paperwork and a
gorgeous white long-haired kitty with blue eyes kept rubbing up
against my legs. It's located at S. Cooper and Young, right on the
corner, if you ever need to know. It's a no-kill rescue
organization in an old midtown storefront property. There are cat
trees and baskets and *cats!* in the windows where,
I would imagine, mannequins and merchandise used to be displayed
once upon a
time.

It's just a few blocks from where my friend John lives. Whenever I go
to Memphis to visit him, I visit House of Mews. What a great place!

Isn't it wonderful?! I got lost a couple of times trying to find the vet's
office on Southern. I've lived around here 35 years and I didn't know there
were two Southern Avenues and don't turn on that one, cross the railroad
tracks and turn on *that* one! LOL

At least once I got on the correct Southern Avenue and found Cooper & Young
I knew where I was, sorta. Midtown is not really an area I'm familiar with,
despite having lived off Madison down from Overton Square back in 1984. But
yes, The House of Mews is a wonderful place and a great rescue organization.
And the kitties all over! Squeeeel! THUD!

Jill

Old October 18th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

[House of Mews]

No cluons were harmed when "jmcquown" wrote:
That shop is one you can't miss if you visit Memphis. There
are cats all over the place I was filling out paperwork and
a gorgeous white long-haired kitty with blue eyes kept
rubbing up against my legs. It's located at S. Cooper and
Young, right on the corner, if you ever need to know. It's a
no-kill rescue organization in
an old midtown storefront property. There are cat
trees and baskets and *cats!* in the windows where,
I would imagine, mannequins and merchandise used to be
displayed once upon a time.

We used to have a place like that, in our Town Square, called "The
Best Little Cat House in Texas".

First time I drove past, I thought it was a small theater or
something. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw *real cats* in the
window.

I turned around, parked and went inside. Thirty or forty cats turned
in my direction, meowed "CAT LOVER!!" and mobbed me. The manager told
me it was the strangest thing she had ever seen.

After that, I became the weekly volunteer cat socializer.

They had a grand old dame of 18 years or so, who ruled the place. She
was blind, but had no problems getting around. And she knew how to
find *my* lap.

Sadly the place was closed down about a year later - no funds...

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old October 19th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Mark Edwards wrote:
[...]

This place has been going strong for 11 years. All the staff are volunteers
and they have volunteers offering veterinary services, legal services, etc.
It was so hard to walk away and leave little Spotty but he'll have a good
home, I've no doubt.

Jill

Old October 19th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:49:16 -0500, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

[...]

A boy! My goodness. Best purrs for Spotty to have a bright future--
it will be a safe one, now.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War