Please help: very picky eater!

Old February 14th 06, 11:23 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Please help: very picky eater!

I think I made a mistake! I wanted to determine which (canned) foods my
cat likes, so bought a large variety from Science Diet, Fancy Feast,
Pro Plan, Iams, Nutro, etc., mostly "premium" ones but also a few from
Friskies and Whiskas just to try them too. I kept detailed notes on how
she reacted to each can. The idea was that I would identify a small
number of her most favorites and from then on buy only those.

In a way, the experiment worked. I learned that she liked quite a few
flavors of FF, ProPlan, Iams; some of SD; almost all of the cheap ones;
almot none of Nutro Max Cat Gourmet; nothing with sardines in it. She
generally liked chicken and seafood, was less warm towards beef, etc.

The problem is that her behavior has become more finicky and
unpredictable. My details notes are useless because flavors she liked a
lot a few weeks ago, she doesn't want to touch today. She seems much
less excited by most foods than she did in the beginning.

I do realize that I may have helped cause her finickiness, and would
appreciate advice on how to get out of this situation.

She has no health or digestive problems, just this pickiness and also
what she liked one day she may not the next.
Old February 14th 06, 11:29 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Yes, you spoiled her and made her a very picky eater!! My kitty
generally doesn't like to eat the same flavor two days in a row. I
pretty much stick with Fancy Feast - the grilled, marinated, and
roasted. I don't give him any fish - too smelly. If for some reason
he doesn't care for something, I don't get excited. Sooner or later he
will eat it - IF I don't give him something else.

If they are hungry, they will eat! As long as they are losing weight,
don't worry.

Old February 14th 06, 11:40 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

AlexZ wrote:
[...]

Yep, sounds like one of our cats. The food she loves one week visibly
offends her when offered the next week. Or day. And if offered
something she doesn't like, there is no use trying other foods--she's
done and just won't eat for that meal. That's why she's slim and the
other two cats, who pretty much eat whatever is given them, are pudgy.
Yes, new foods are generally exciting and then the newness wears out.
You might try bringing out what used to be her favorite a few weeks ago
when the current favorite is rejected.

If you figure out what to do about finickiness, let me know. Our vet
said that although this particular cat is slimmer than average, she's
healthy so not to worry unless she gets too thin. I'd like to see her
gain about a half a pound, but she seems determined not to.
-Yngver

Old February 14th 06, 11:41 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Make that "as long as they are NOT losing weight"!

Old February 15th 06, 01:42 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"AlexZ" wrote in message
I think I made a mistake! I wanted to determine which (canned) foods my
cat likes, so bought a large variety from Science Diet, Fancy Feast,
Pro Plan, Iams, Nutro, etc., mostly "premium" ones but also a few from
Friskies and Whiskas just to try them too. I kept detailed notes on how

My Deetoo, adopted at 6 months of age from a local animal shelter, would
only eat the hard Performatrim cat chow they provided. The closest I could
find to it in the local stores was Iams general chat chow in the orange bag.
That's all she will eat except for little bits of cheese that I occasionally
give her when she comes mooching in the kitchen. It's funny, she comes
running to see what I'm eating at every opportunity, but when I offer some
of it to her, she doesn't want it. She won't eat any moist canned stuff and
she won't eat any of the special cat treats that I've bought for her.

I guess I should consider myself lucky. A cup a day of chat chow and all the
water she wants and that's all I have to give her. At this point, (11
months) I'm trying to decide if she's fat or just a damned big cat. I can
feel her ribs fine, but I guess I'll have to take her to the vet for a
general check up to make sure.