Upside down packaging tape, no more chewing on electrical cords

Old September 13th 13, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default Upside down packaging tape, no more chewing on electrical cords

reilloc wrote:
On 9/9/2013 1:16 AM, Bill Graham wrote:
John Doe wrote:
My first critical application of upside down packaging tape was to
keep my cat off of the windowsill in a cat-hostile apartment
complex. Now that I'm temporarily fostering three kittens... They
start chewing on a group of electrical cords in a very small area
on the floor. Put two pieces of 4 inch long packaging tape among the
electrical cords. Reapplied as necessary. I just love it when they
start whining about having the tape stuck to them, and I get to come
to their rescue It's like cat correction heaven. One half hour to
one hour later, no more chewing on the electrical cords. BOOM.

If you've ever seen what household current can do to tool-steel in
an instant (like when you accidentally cut through it), you will
freak out at the thought of your cats accidentally chewing through
an electrical cord. It just can't happen.

It helps to put ground fault protectors on all your circuits. that
way, as soon as some groung current is drawn, the breaker trips and
the cat probably won't feel a thing. This is especially true if your
electricasl wires are swhielded by grounded woven steel cables, The
cats will have to chew through those first, and then as soon as it
bites into the hot wire, the ground current will trip the breaker
off and it won't come back on until/unless you reset it. Most new
houses have these in the bathrooms and kitchens, but there is no
reason why you couldn't put them throughout your house. They are
great for young pets and children who are likely to mess with the
wiring.

I don't like to get involved in a private fight but when the stakes
are life and death, I'll say something. Bill, first you need the
short for the GFI to trip and when the short's through the mouth, the
damage has already been done.

LNC

Not entirely correct. We are talking about power here. Thqt is the time
integrl of current. It takes time for the current to build up to the point
where it damages your cats mouth, and thewe GFI's will open the breaker in
such a short time that there iw no time for the current to put enough power
into your cat's mouth. They will trip on less than 10 milliamps of ground
current. Also, there will be (ideally) no large current build up unless the
cat contacts both sides of the line at the same time as he creates the
ground current. This will, in all probability, not happen, as soon as he
touches just one side of the line, the ground current will open the breaker
and without contacting both sides of the line, there will be no power draw.
So, the chances of the cat feeling anything at all is very slim. Remember
that these devices don't work on power drawn from one side of the line to
the other. They work on the slightest bit of power being drawn to the
ground shield on the cord. This means that the other end of the ground
shield on the cord has to be connected to the third, "U shaped" connection
on the wall socket. (There has to be some current drawn from one side of the
line to ground in order for the device to work)

Old September 13th 13, 04:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
[email protected]

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 19:02:52 -0700, "Bill Graham"

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 03:58:06 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

Full of **** up to its eyebrows...

See for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ltFuEKCnM4

Yes. This is an updated version of the device I saw. This one didn;t
actually require that the operator touch the saw blade. the one I saw
required actual contact with the blade, whqch necessitates stopping the
blade in les than one tooth's travel in order to not damage the skin. And
this meqns that there was some damage done to the blace by the stopping
mechanism.

Some? In the video I saw the blade and the whole drive mechanism were
toast. The inventor admitted that was a bit of a drawback but argued
it was cheaper than losing fingers.
Old September 13th 13, 05:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

It's a suggestion that won't work.

Again and again and again... The electricity that's most likely to
hurt your cat/kitten will flow from one wire to the other (through
your cat's mouth), not through your cat into a bathtub or
whatever. A device that's intended to subdue leakage (or whatever
it's called) current won't stop the most likely cause of damage.

From: "Bill Graham" weg9 comcast.net
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 19:07:44 -0700

John Doe wrote:
Firstly... This has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of
kittens chewing on electrical cords.

Secondly... Nobody in any video on YouTube intentionally sticks
their hand into a saw blade. That's so ridiculous, it's funny.
Even if the claim of stopping the blade in 1/8 second is true,
those blades spin at 10 revolutions per 1/10 second. That means
you get cut over 600 times using a 60-tooth blade.

The saw stop thing should be taken to a group like
(alt.home.repair) or (rec.woodworking). Currently I'm in both of
those groups. Tell them about sticking your hand into a saw
blade...

From: infodex mindspring.com
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
Subject: Upside down packaging tape, no more chewing on
electrical cords
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 00:47:24 -0400
free.usenet:4635498 free.spirit:1109

jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:

Full of **** up to its eyebrows...

See for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ltFuEKCnM4

Hey! It was just a suggestion to keep your cats from getting their mouths
blown apart. If you don't want to take it, then don't, but don't blame me
for suggesting it. (and don't say that you didn't learn anything by reading
my posts, either)

Old September 13th 13, 05:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

infodex mindspring.com wrote:
On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 03:58:06 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:

Full of **** up to its eyebrows...

See for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ltFuEKCnM4

Yes. This is an updated version of the device I saw. This one
didn;t actually require that the operator touch the saw blade.
the one I saw required actual contact with the blade, whqch
necessitates stopping the blade in les than one tooth's travel
in order to not damage the skin. And this meqns that there was
some damage done to the blace

How long have you been visiting Earth?

A table saw blade rotates at about 5000 RPM. That's about 83
revolutions per second.

That idea is so very silly... Please post your silliness to either
the home repair group or the woodworking group. It will be good
for a laugh.

From: "Bill Graham" weg9 comcast.net
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 19:02:52 -0700

Old September 13th 13, 05:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

I highly recommend not taking this silly person's advice
on anything you don't already know...

From: "Bill Graham" weg9 comcast.net
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 18:50:20 -0700

John Doe wrote:
Full of **** up to its eyebrows...

From: infodex mindspring.com
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
electrical cords
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 23:44:14 -0400
free.usenet:4635455 free.spirit:1106

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 03:03:07 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:

If you believe that you can stick your hand into an operational
table saw blade without getting cut, you are extremely nave.

FWIW, I've seen video demonstrations several times over the past few
years, though to be fair the tests are conducted with raw hot dogs
and
not human fingers. Don't ask me to explain the electronics of it.

The saw blade is isolated from ground. The operator is not. When the
operator touches the saw blade some ground current is drawn. Even if a very
small amount of this current is detected, it is amplified and used to open
the breaker to the saw, and energise the device that stops the blade. This
happens so fast that the blade is stopped in less than 1/10 of a tooth
distance, so the operator's fingers aren't harmed.

But the main point of this discuwsion concerned opening the breaker so fast
thqt the cat (or chilod) isn't harmed. this part is easy compared with
mechanically stopping the saw blade. These GFI's really work well, and are
very useful. The breaker opens so fast that you don't even feel any slight
shock.

Old September 13th 13, 05:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

I'm more than happy to discuss this in an electronics group
or in a shop group that uses saws.

This thing is incredibly full of it. Trying to explain why
is pointless, here.

From: "Bill Graham" weg9 comcast.net
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 18:41:24 -0700

infodex mindspring.com wrote:
On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 03:03:07 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:

If you believe that you can stick your hand into an operational
table saw blade without getting cut, you are extremely na‹ve.

FWIW, I've seen video demonstrations several times over the past few
years, though to be fair the tests are conducted with raw hot dogs and
not human fingers. Don't ask me to explain the electronics of it.

Thee are two things that must be done. Remove the power from the saw blade
motor, and swtop the blade. Removing the power is easy. The Ground Fault
Interrupter circuitry does that. (In spite of what John Doe says) Stopping
the blade is something else. They do that with a brake that pulls a stopping
link into a toothed wheel that moves weith the say, or into the saw blade
itself. In either case, the result is usually to damage the blade beyone
repair, so when the device doesw its job, you have to replace all that
stuff. (the saw blade and other stuff that you have to use to stop it.) But
all that is still better than losing your fingers. I saw a demo of this on a
you tube clip a while back. I'll see if I can find it. In any case,
stoppoing the saw from hurting someone is harder than just stopping the
current into a cat's or chilkds mouth. These GFI's can do that handily. But
they work on ground current and not the main current that drives the device,
so there must be a ground circuit for them to sense the current in, or they
won't work.

Old September 13th 13, 05:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

A lying sack of ****...

From: "Bill Graham" weg9 comcast.net
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Old September 15th 13, 03:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
Bill Graham

wrote:

Full of **** up to its eyebrows...

See for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ltFuEKCnM4

Yes. This is an updated version of the device I saw. This one didn;t
actually require that the operator touch the saw blade. the one I saw
required actual contact with the blade, whqch necessitates stopping
the blade in les than one tooth's travel in order to not damage the
skin. And this meqns that there was some damage done to the blace by
the stopping mechanism.

Some? In the video I saw the blade and the whole drive mechanism were
toast. The inventor admitted that was a bit of a drawback but argued
it was cheaper than losing fingers.

Of course. That is the whole reason for the device. Its not something that
table saw operators do every day. When one of them does do it, it is fitting
that it cost him a lot of money. Saving his fingers is worth a lot of money.

From: "Bill Graham" weg9 comcast.net
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
electrical cords

From: infodex mindspring.com
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
electrical cords
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 00:47:24 -0400
free.usenet:4635498 free.spirit:1109

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 03:58:06 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:

Full of **** up to its eyebrows...

See for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ltFuEKCnM4

Hey! It was just a suggestion to keep your cats from getting their
mouths
blown apart. If you don't want to take it, then don't, but don't
blame me
for suggesting it. (and don't say that you didn't learn anything by
reading
my posts, either)

Again and again and again. The ground current leakage pullsd the breaker
before the cast gets down to the two wires that carry the big current.
Otherwise, they wouldn't bother to put these devices on all the bathrooms
built in the last thirty years or so. (big current hurts people too....)

I have explained this enough times to you. This is my last post on the
subject. Not all cast owners are (apparently) at all knowledgeable about
simple electrics or building codes. If you don;t believe in the device,
well, then don't buy it. But don't tell me that it doesn't work. - I know
better.

Old September 15th 13, 05:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

Except for saving face, I have no idea why this thing is spewing
bull**** about such an important issue to cat managers.

From: "Bill Graham" weg9 comcast.net
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
References: l0gefc$1qk$1 dont-email.me 6pSdndi6JOtY-rDPnZ2dnUVZ5hOdnZ2d giganews.com l0l8uh$umo$1 dont-email.me rsydnaMEz_pwN7PPnZ2dnUVZ5gadnZ2d giganews.com l0nd6l$80v$2 dont-email.me 8uGdnTquqsr7TLLPnZ2dnUVZ5vydnZ2d giganews.com l0omha$o4h$1 dont-email.me dkpv291cq7qps1ft4mdjiga1ccg2kt90vr 4ax.com l0opoe$4g7$1 dont-email.me 5etv29lubokjng16285jgcrafmg2sqp263 4ax.com l0p566$ivj$1 dont-email.me 4rqdnSBYVOns7q_PnZ2dnUVZ5uadnZ2d giganews.com l0u3j9$ela$1 dont-email.me

From: "Bill Graham" weg9 comcast.net
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
electrical cords