best anti-allergy med for cats?

Old October 26th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kitkat via CatKB.com

Default best anti-allergy med for cats?

Ironically I have two cats and I'm somewhat allergic - winters can be tough
since I can't open the windows.

but my mother is an entirely different level. last weekend she came into our
house and within 10 minutes she broke into hives and her eyes were swelling
are somewhat allergic to cats in order to make their visit more tolerable?

Old October 26th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kitkat via CatKB.com

sorry for some reason part of my question got deleted - I want to know what
allergy medicine is best to offer guests that are allergic to cats.

Old October 26th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
vividkid

kitkat via CatKB.com wrote:
sorry for some reason part of my question got deleted - I want to know what
allergy medicine is best to offer guests that are allergic to cats.

Hello,

I don't really know what medicine is best for guests, since I wouldn't
want to give someone anything, then find out they were allergic to some
ingredient in the drug, and be worse off than when I started. My
guests who know they have allergies to cats usually take something
before coming over. If your mom just discovered she is allergic, she
may want to discuss with her doctor.

But, you can try to reduce the amount of allergens in your home to
minimize the effects. There are shampoos that supposedly remove the
dander from the cat. I haven't tried these yet, so I can't tell you
how well that works. What I do do in my home, though, is use pet
release carpet stuff when I vacuum (a powder by Arm & Hammer). Vacuum
often, and then spray Allergen reducer Febreze on anything fabric (test
per label instructions, of course). This seems to help, but I don't
think it would remove the problem altogether.

Old October 27th 06, 11:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

I',m not sure what your vacuums are like over there, but is Oz we have a Vax
Petvac which is designed to decrease allergy symptoms.It's going to be my
next vacuum cleaner definitely!!
Just googled it; a Us/Uk website by the look, so it should be available to
you; not a bad price for this kind of thing either!!
http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/880/m...er/pid/1523260
Have a look...
"vividkid" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old October 27th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
vividkid

meeee wrote:
I',m not sure what your vacuums are like over there, but is Oz we have a Vax
Petvac which is designed to decrease allergy symptoms.It's going to be my
next vacuum cleaner definitely!!
Just googled it; a Us/Uk website by the look, so it should be available to
you; not a bad price for this kind of thing either!!
http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/880/m...er/pid/1523260
Have a look...

Hmm..looks interesting, but save for the occasional hairball, I rarely
have "pet stains" to clean up and I already have a rug cleaner. NOT
something I would do every time I vacuum! The Pet Release stuff I
use is a rug freshener and it also makes the hair and dander
"demagnetize" from the carpet fibers and much easier to suck up. The
Febreze is because 1) I LOVE the smell of that stuff and 2) it does
help reduce allergens with repeated use. Downside: it can be expensive
as I have rugs throughout, along with curtains, upholstery, etc. BTW,
that Petvac looks like our Wet/Dry Shopvac with different
paint/stickers. I already have 2 of those (a big one and a small one -
saves quarters instead of going to commercial machine to vacuum my car).