Should I keep my cat alive?

Old January 31st 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Should I keep my cat alive?

We had a cat that ran off a few years ago and is now semi-wild. He is
15 years old and comes around about once a week. I suspect some other
neighbors feed him. During winter, he never comes inside our house any
more and I have no clue where he sleeps.

I do take him for rabies shots and during recent visit he was diagnosed
with diabetes (it cost me $250 for tests). The vet says I need to give
him insulin shots and keep him on a special diet. I'm assuming the
insulin treatments won't be cheap and I have no way of controlling his
diet since he runs around all the time. He lost a lot of weight and
looks like he doesn't have much time left. What is the proper thing to
do? I can't bring myself to take him down and have no easy way of
treating his diabetes.

Thanks
Ron

Old February 1st 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Charlie Wilkes wrote:

You're an adult, Ron. You have to make hard choices.

If you don't put him down, he'll hole up somewhere and die by slow
increments, or else get torn apart by predators.

Charlie

I wouldn't put him down yet

yes, he's losing weight, and getting slower

I would try to keep him inside and I would also find out how much the
shots cost
(if it meant that much to me)

Ron just assumes the shots are outrageous and understandably so, (he
just paid out 1/2 the vets car payment or something)

Are these shots available online?

would a proper diet negate the neccessity for shots?

It's amazing he's still alive Susan M Cat anecdotes 7 October 20th 05 03:19 PM
I'm still Alive! Catnipped Cat anecdotes 11 June 9th 05 11:15 PM
still alive Pat Cat anecdotes 3 December 30th 04 04:23 PM
Elvis is Alive Bev Cat anecdotes 6 September 20th 04 08:24 PM