Ravenous kitties

Old July 23rd 19, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan Mahoney[_2_]

Default Ravenous kitties

We feed our kitties both dry food and wet food. We leave dry food down so they can graze (but have to put it in a puzzle bowl to keep Ranger from scarfing it down too fast and puking), and I set out three dishes of wet food for breakfast and for dinner.

A couple months ago I noticed that Sammy had gotten pretty skinny, so I set about encouraging him to eat more of the wet food. My efforts have paid off - he will eat all of the wet food I give him, will wait for Ranger to finish his (Ranger only eats a very small amount of wet food) and finishes it. I feed them first thing in the morning, as soon as I get up. I feed the dog and the garage cats and go about my normal morning activities, then the next time I walk through the kitchen I find Sammy and Francesca staring at me, giving me pleading, starving looks so I give them ANOTHER breakfast.

When I get home from work, same thing again. Francesca sits on the kitchen counter and Sammy sits in the middle of the kitchen floor, staring. I feed them, feed the dog, feed the garage cats, take my shoes off, etc. Next time I walk through the kitchen, Sammy and Francesca are both giving me the "poor starved kitty" look. Out comes another can, and they get second dinner.

I haven't had Sammy back to the vet for a little while so I don't know how much the extra feeding has been helping him, but I can definitely tell that he's putting back on some of the weight that he had lost.
Old July 23rd 19, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/23/2019 3:03 PM, Dan Mahoney wrote:
[...]

I really can't imagine feeding in a multi-cat household. Then again,
the only cats I've had were pretty insistent there not be another cat in
the house.

Persia *yowled* at the mere sight of a cat out the window. Or on *her*
private patio. How dare you! She literally crashed through a screen
door to chase away the interloper. Share a food space? Never. LOL

Buffy's the same way. She was bullied by another house cat (Frankie).
She had to slink around just to eat and poop in peace. When I went to
meet her/bring her home she was hiding on a chair under the glass dining
room table. The neighbor had to lock Frankie (a Tonkinese) in the
sunroom. After she showed me the mess he'd made knocking everything
over in the kitchen counters.

I feed Buffy wet food in the morning and then she can graze on a little
bit of dry throughout the day/night.

Jill
Old July 26th 19, 02:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan Mahoney[_2_]

Persia *yowled* at the mere sight of a cat out the window. Or on *her*
private patio. How dare you! She literally crashed through a screen
door to chase away the interloper. Share a food space? Never. LOL

Ranger is the other-cat guardian in my house. We are caring for 2 neighborhood strays in our garage while we try to get them socialized enough to go to the shelter (the no-kill shelter where we volunteer). One is buff-colored guy who has become very affectionate since he has learned that I am not going to hurt him. I have named him Fred. The other is Sarge, a grey kitty guy with kind of a rough coat.

All 3 of our indoor kitties like to lie on the low table we put at the front window. It serves as their "Kitty TV". If Ranger sees Fred on the front porch he will growl as long as Fred is there. If Ranger sees Sarge on the front porch he goes wild! Hissing, screaming, swatting at the window - he REALLY doesn't like Sarge.

It makes me wonder if cats are able to detect the fursonality of a cat visually. Fred is a very timid, very peaceful kitty, while Sarge is a bit of a bully - I sometimes have to stop him from chasing Fred out of the garage.
Old July 27th 19, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/26/2019 9:25 AM, Dan Mahoney wrote:
[...]

Dan, that wouldn't surprise me at all. I believe cats are very intuitive.

Jill

Hey Kitties Gramby Cat community 44 February 7th 12 06:54 PM
Have kitties seen this? Fred[_2_] Cat community 1 April 15th 09 06:58 AM
RaVenOuS Abelard! Pat[_2_] Cat anecdotes 13 May 24th 08 07:12 PM
Gotta love kitties, even big kitties! [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 1 July 5th 06 12:22 PM
Met my kitties-in-law EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) Cat anecdotes 4 September 7th 04 07:32 PM