Forgot to post about Buffy's Anniversary

Old June 7th 19, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Forgot to post about Buffy's Anniversary

On June 2, 2015, I adopted Buffy. Wow, where did the time go? She went
from being a timid cat who expected another cat to jump out at any
minute and not let her eat to a confident, loving, engaging cat.
Playing with toys and very much out of her shell in just a matter of a
day or two. She owns this place (and me).

She's still a tad jumpy sometimes. If the television is on and a show
has a doorbell that sounds like mine, she startles. I say, "It's on TV"
and she relaxes. Good.

Odd thing about the doorbell. Sometimes when the *actual* doorbell
rings she runs and hides. Other times she marches towards the front
door as if she's expecting company.

Buffy and weather is another odd thing: Yesterday evening there was a
thunderstorm. Buffy was snoozing in her pyramid bed. There was some
thunder, some flashes of lighting. I was on the couch, reading. I saw
a flash of light out the window almost immediately followed by a very
loud clap of thunder. She bolted out of her bed like her tail was on
fire. I said, "It's okay sweetie, it's just noisy weather." She went
and hid anyway.

It's not like this is her first thunderstorm in 4 years. There are many
times where she just goes "Oh, okay". Last evening she chose to hide on
a chair under the dining room table.

Coincidentally, it was the first place she hid on the day I adopted her.
I brought her home, let her out of the carrier in the bedroom and
showed her where the food and litter box was. She went under my bed. A
short while later, she wasn't there. On that same day, she was on a
chair under the dining room table. I looked under the tablecloth,
tapped my fingers on the floor and said, "Hi, Buffy". She jumped down
and I gave her scritches. She's been ruling the house ever since.
Happy belated Buffy-versary!

Jill
Old June 7th 19, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/7/2019 3:33 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Happy belated Buffy-versary! She certainly needed you to give her the
loving home and human so that she could relax and enjoy her life. I
remember when she first came to live with you and was so timid.

I've never been able to fathom out why my cats are sometimes scared of
something then ok with it another time. I think it may be something to do
with the mothership telling them to keep us confused.

Judith

I'm sure it's the mothership! There's a big thunderstorm going on right
now. Rain coming down in torrents. Wind and thunder. She's not
hiding. She's quite comfortably sitting on my lap. She's not trying to
get me to stop typing, either. I love being baffled by Buffy.

Jill
Old June 7th 19, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Nak

Happy adoption day to Buffy!

Coincidentally, my Pirate and Eddy were also adopted on June 2nd, but in
2017 at ages 7 and 8.

Cats are funny. Most of the time my cats (all 5) don't care about rain or
thunder. Some will sit in the window against the screen and watch the rain.
My former two, Mooch and Smoochie, would hide at the first drop of rain.

As for the doorbell, it rings so very seldom nobody likes it, especially me,
LOL.

But if I see the mail lady coming and wait at the door, 2 of my youngest
always want scritches form her :-)

--
bill n.

Old June 7th 19, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/7/2019 12:19 PM, Bill Nak wrote:
Happy adoption day to Buffy!

Thank you, Bill!

Coincidentally, my Pirate and Eddy were also adopted on June 2nd, but in
2017 at ages 7 and 8.

I'm not sure how old Buffy is. The guestimate at the time was 6 years
old. I adopted her after someone in the neighborhood died. I asked but
there were no veterinary records. I do know Buffy was one of the ferals
from the TNR colony. This woman apparently scooped her up as a
youngster after she'd been vaccinated, spayed, had her ear notched and
released. Gave her a home. Too bad it was a home with a couple of
other cats, one of which was a dominant male Tonkinese.

Cats are funny.Â* Most of the time my cats (all 5) don't care about rain
or thunder.Â* Some will sit in the window against the screen and watch
the rain. My former two, Mooch and Smoochie, would hide at the first
drop of rain.

As for the doorbell, it rings so very seldom nobody likes it, especially
me, LOL.

I never expect the doorbell to ring. People know to call first before
just ringing the bell or knocking. Sometimes there's a delivery but I
know when to expect those.

But if I see the mail lady coming and wait at the door, 2 of my youngest
always want scritches form her :-)

Your cats are more adventurous than Buffy. She never goes that far.
She'll head towards the door but when I open it she backs off.

Letting strangers pet her is purely subjective. A couple of years ago I
had an HVAC maintenance man inside and he sat down with me in the living
room to enter the invoice in his tablet. Buffy did something completely
out of character. She started rubbing against his feet and his legs.
(Shedding all over his nice blue uniform pants!) She acted like she
wanted to jump up in his lap. Whoa. I'd never seen her behave like
that with a stranger before. Or since. It was weird.

Jill
Old June 8th 19, 05:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Nak

YW Jill!

Pi and Eddy's ages are just estimates from the rescue.

I remember Buffy's story from when you got her. I was very happy for you.
It's too bad Buffy was so intimidated by the other cat, but now she's in a
home where she can be herself.

When I open the door, usually there's three running to the door expecting to
go outside. Eddy, Pi and the two middle cats, Bebe and EJ all get to go
outside on long leashes when I have the time. They always want to go out,
but unfortunately my time is limited and I can't take them out when I do
yardwork, because they need to be watched as they can tangle the leashes
around flowers and shrubs. But once they settle down they love to watch the
birds and goings on in the neighborhood.

Pirate never had any interest in going out. He's comfortable just sitting in
the window. And our newest, Lady, won't allow a collar or harness put on
her, so she stays in also. Fortunately she doesn't seem to want to go out.
She almost died of illness and exposure when we found her, weighed only 3
pounds. Vet said she should weigh 7. Maybe she remembers her former life
and would rather be comfortable indoors.

One of these days I'm going to d/l Thunderbird to participate more, but time
is limited with the cats and other things I do. Years ago I spent more time
on Usenet, and Outlook was useful, but now just makes a mess of posts.

Later,
--

bill n

Old June 8th 19, 06:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Helen Wheels

On 7/06/2019 7:08 AM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Happy -versary, Jill and Buffy. She sounds such a sweetheart.

I don't know yet how my youngster Floki will cope with storms. We may be
about to find out as there is one forecast this evening here. Trixie my
other cat is already curled up with her paws over her eyes. She's rarely
concerned by weather unless it interrupts her comfortable sleep.

Floki on the other hand is up and down on and off my desk all day. Right
now he's sort of sitting on my shoulder with his back paws on my chair
back and the front paws on my shoulder. Cute, but he's getting too big
to do that for much longer.
Old June 8th 19, 07:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/8/2019 1:22 AM, Helen Wheels wrote:
[...]

Floki sounds like a playful hand full! I've never had a kitten so I can
only imagine. I love hearing about him and I'd like to hear more
about Trixie, too. This newsgroup needs a bit of traffic. Seems like
most folks have abandoned it for Facebook.

Jill

Jill

Old June 8th 19, 07:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Nak

The one reason I dislike the doorbell is that it's always someone trying to
sell me something. Bad enough the phone rings too many times a day with
scam artists trying to get my money, I don't really need actual people at my
doorstep trying to do the same, LOL.

The lady across the street sometimes comes over to help me with my cats nail
clipping, but when she comes she sends me a text and I tell her to just come
in.

She'll be coming soon, because kitties' nails are all getting a little too
pointy, knifey, stabby ;-)
--

bill n

"Judith Latham" wrote in message

In article , Bill Nak
wrote:
Happy adoption day to Buffy!

Coincidentally, my Pirate and Eddy were also adopted on June 2nd, but in
2017 at ages 7 and 8.

Cats are funny. Most of the time my cats (all 5) don't care about rain
or thunder. Some will sit in the window against the screen and watch
the rain. My former two, Mooch and Smoochie, would hide at the first
drop of rain.

As for the doorbell, it rings so very seldom nobody likes it, especially
me, LOL.

But if I see the mail lady coming and wait at the door, 2 of my youngest
always want scritches form her :-)

I'm with you about the doorbell. However my first cat Sweep (RB) used to
go to the door with me to see who it was, she always wanted to be
involved. Sophie (RB) my next cat waan't bothered, a bit of the airhead
here. Now Sootie, who fews the doorbell as a damn nuisance, ignoring it if
possible or in a strop, demanding to go out if someone is coming into the
house.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

Old June 15th 19, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

Bill Nak wrote:

[...]

Hi Bill,

Might want to check out a freeware producd calls Xananews. Much less
intense setup than Thunderbird and pretty much has the essentials right
out of the box. Takes about 5 minutes from download to usable
interface then you can colorize things and so on to your liking.
Old June 15th 19, 09:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/15/2019 3:04 PM, cshenk wrote:
Bill Nak wrote:

[...]

colourizing doesn't work on this ng.

Jill

I forgot Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 38 May 24th 09 06:07 PM
Oh I forgot OT and all that tanadashoes Cat anecdotes 5 October 12th 07 07:47 PM
Forgot this! Tanada Cat anecdotes 2 March 25th 07 03:02 PM
Forgot to add AJ Cat health & behaviour 2 January 27th 04 01:31 PM