Cat Fecal Matter Problems

Old March 29th 05, 09:14 PM

Default Cat Fecal Matter Problems

Ok so we have three cats, none have been spayed or neutered. (I
complain about it EVERY SINGLE DAY to my roomates, but they aren't my
cats.) I live on the bottom floor, two floors away from my roomates and
thier cats keep using a 3x2 foot area behind my recliner to go #1 & #2.
I understand they "claim territory" by peeing sometimes if they aren't
fixed, but this has to stop. The roomates refuse to do anything about
it because the problem doesn't bother them. How can I get the cats to
stop this behavior?

Old March 29th 05, 09:26 PM
Phil P.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok so we have three cats, none have been spayed or neutered. (I
complain about it EVERY SINGLE DAY to my roomates, but they aren't my
cats.) I live on the bottom floor, two floors away from my roomates and
thier cats keep using a 3x2 foot area behind my recliner to go #1 & #2.
I understand they "claim territory" by peeing sometimes if they aren't
fixed, but this has to stop. The roomates refuse to do anything about
it because the problem doesn't bother them. How can I get the cats to
stop this behavior?

Get them neutered.

Old March 30th 05, 08:25 PM
em

Can you move a litterbox behind the recliner, or just put an extra litterbox there?

I know these are not your kitties, but having the extra box might help. Try cleaning the soiled area with vinegar (sometimes the smell of vinegar turns the cats off, as well as cleaning), cover with a box or somesuch until it dries, and then put something under the new litter box (plastic? newspaper?) to catch kicked out litter, and put the box down.

Once cats have indiscriminately defecated/urinated somewhere other than their litterbox, they have a tendency to keep going there if they can smell it. It is difficult to get the scent out so they can't smell it.

Your room-mates are really irresponsible, but that is not your fault. You should not be responsible for the neutering. If you neuter them, then they should become YOUR kitties. After all, if they are too cheap, they don't deserve them. This would be your decision, but I am not going to suggest it, as someone else did. It is an expensive one, and they are not your cats.

I had my sister's male cat neutered and put on my veterinary charge account, and my account allowed me to. She was in a bad situation, and he needed to be done right away by my estimation. I did not want to see the female get pregnant, and then there would be more babies in the world to try to find good homes for. However, my situation is completely different from yours. Why won't your room-mates get the cats neutered? what on earth is wrong with their brains?

You may wish to check your area for local programs, perhaps there is one that will neuter the cats for a minimal fee? I would drag the room-mates back into a discussion, try to eke some cash out of them, once you find out what the cost might be, if you decide to go this route.

Good luck!

Mel

--
God requires that we assist the animals, when they need our help. Each being (human or creature) has the same right of protection.
-St. Francis of Assisi-

One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats her animals.
-Mahatma Gandhi -
"Joe Canuck" wrote in message ...
wrote:

Ok so we have three cats, none have been spayed or neutered. (I
complain about it EVERY SINGLE DAY to my roomates, but they aren't my
cats.) I live on the bottom floor, two floors away from my roomates and
thier cats keep using a 3x2 foot area behind my recliner to go #1 & #2.
I understand they "claim territory" by peeing sometimes if they aren't
fixed, but this has to stop. The roomates refuse to do anything about
it because the problem doesn't bother them. How can I get the cats to
stop this behavior?

Options...

1) You move out.

2) Kick the roommate with the cats out.

3) Collect some cat poo and dump it on their bed or place it in a nice
looking container on *their* side of the fridge or freezer.

4) Threaten to get the cats neutered yourself when your roommate is away
sometime... they cannot be there *all* the time.

5) Put up with it.

Old March 30th 05, 10:54 PM
Joe Canuck

em wrote:

Can you move a litterbox behind the recliner, or just put an extra
litterbox there?

Humm, I'm not the one with the problems.