[OT] Exploding CD

Old May 19th 04, 08:53 PM
CK

Yowie wrote:
snip
Can anyone offer an explanation, and whether its likely to happen again? As
it is, we don't want to put any CD in there that is important and can't be
replaced, which effectively means we don't have a working CD drive anymore,
let alone something that can *burn* CDs.

Off the top of my head I'd guesstimate two reasons - the CD drive was
faulty, which can be checked by an expert (I don't suppose it's new
enough to still have warranty left on it?), or the disc was faulty, had
a manufacturing fault that made it "explode" at that particular time. If
one would have the resources, one could check the fragments of the CD to
see if it had a manufacturing flaw of some kind. But even if that was
done, it won't get the CD back. Come to think of it, even if the CD
drive doesn't have any warranty left, you might want to check either
with the shop where it's been bought or the (representative of) the
manufacturer, as busting a CD is not quite something that would happen
to every CD drive.

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Laku: DS B G 4.11 Y L W C+ I+++ T++/- A+ E H+ S+ V++ F Q+ P- B PA PL
Old May 20th 04, 02:59 AM
Yoj

"CATherine" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 May 2004 12:37:44 GMT, ":-\)Liz"
wrote:

What are you? Bad Luck or just a spreader of CDRW sickness?...Last

nite I
decided to burn some tunes to listen to in the car(I had used up the

last of
my Imation one).....upon removing burnt cd...I found it WAS burnt! It

had a
small scortched, hole near the center of the cd...hubby thinks it was

from
it being a cheapie(thinner) cd with a defect in production(I got 100

of them
for 7 cents per from Frys in Plano...

Yes! Dave Y.! there's now a Frys in Plano...I no longer have to

travel to
the NW Freeway/Highway one!

Burnt another one....quality was poor...went and got a $ cd

bundle...tried
again.....no burn...quality good......so...I think it WAS the

"cheapie"
cds.....now let's see if Frys will take them back! :-) Liz

My son, the guru, says the cheap discs are not designed to spin as
fast as the good ones. He said all you need to do is dig into your
cd-rom driver settings(deep in the control panel) and slow it down.

--
CATherine

That sounds like one of those things that is easy if you know what
you're doing, but scary to the rest of us.

Joy

Old May 20th 04, 11:11 AM
Kajikit

Yowie had something important to tell us on Wed, 19 May 2004 07:49:28
+1000:

Last night, there was suddenly an aweful noise from the kitchen. Joel rushed
over to find it was coming from the computer, specifically from the CDrw

Sometimes CDs explode... even expensive supposedly 'perfect' ones -
nobodys' quality control is perfect. You could try gathering together
all the pieces and sending them back to the games company with a
complaint letter? Maybe you can get another copy of the game from
them... but you'll definitely need a new CD drive - who knows what
damage the flying CD shards have done to it

--

Karen AKA Kajikit

Here kitty kitty kitty... visit http://www.catslaves.org!

Come and visit my part of the web: