Chipping my Cats

Old May 1st 04, 05:59 PM
Fat Freddy

Default Chipping my Cats

Our three cats go in and out as the please, and even though we live in
a fairly safe, cat friendly environment, if they don't come home every
day, I get worried. They all wear collars with tags, but they loose
them often.

Last week, Smokey was gone for a couple of days. On the third day I
went to the Pound to see if had been arrested, or worse if he had been
scraped up of the road somewhere. It was an emotionally gruelling
ordeal, but In a way, I was relieved not to have found him there.

When I got home there he was, sitting by the door waiting to get in to
eat.

I had thought about getting microchips for them, but had never gotten
around to it. That visit to the Animal Shelter convinced me to get it
done - now.

The cats didn't seem to mind it at all. The worst part of the whole
trip was standing in line waiting their turn as they were the only cats
among a couple dozen dogs. A couple of big ones were curious and stuck
their faces right up to the carriers and looked in. The owner said they
had cats at home and the dogs loved them, but my cats didn't know that
and were probably terrified.

It cost about $60 to have all three done. When I got home I registered
them on-line with the AKC. That cost an additional $12.50 each, but if
they are scanned I will be notified right away, including on weekends.
While the regular notification is only during regular business hours.

Although these chips won't protect them from anything, I feel much more
at ease knowing that if they don't come home I won't have to go looking
around the streets for dead bodies or going to the shelter to see if
they have been picked up.
Old May 1st 04, 06:40 PM
Takayuki

Fat Freddy wrote:

Although these chips won't protect them from anything, I feel much more
at ease knowing that if they don't come home I won't have to go looking
around the streets for dead bodies or going to the shelter to see if
they have been picked up.

I think that was an excellent idea. The idea of dead bodies is
grisly, but it makes me wonder now if they scan roadkill?

Old May 1st 04, 07:40 PM
Adrian

Takayuki wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Although these chips won't protect them from anything, I feel much
more at ease knowing that if they don't come home I won't have to go
looking around the streets for dead bodies or going to the shelter
to see if they have been picked up.

I think that was an excellent idea. The idea of dead bodies is
grisly, but it makes me wonder now if they scan roadkill?

I know they do in some parts of the UK.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy, Milo & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old May 1st 04, 07:54 PM
jmcquown

Fat Freddy wrote:
I had thought about getting microchips for them, but had never gotten
around to it. That visit to the Animal Shelter convinced me to get it
done - now.

Persia was a foundling and she is an indoor kitty; she escaped one day about
2 months after she acquired me. She was gone for 24 hours. I was so
upset... I was out walking around the neighborhood, calling for her half the
night. I almost had her, then some guy opened his front door and let his
dogs out and she took off.

The next night after work, I just sat down on my patio and cried, thinking
I'd lost her forever. I went back inside and not 10 minutes later I hear
this plaintive "Ow?" at my back door. Oh, you CAT you! Where have you
been?! ROFL She was covered in leaves and mud; had obviously slept under a
bush.

I took her to the vet to be chipped the following Saturday. The vet said,
"We're going to go weigh her, be back in a few." I sat there for what
seemed like a really long time. Then he came back and said, she's such a
good girl, she didn't even squeak. HUH? Yeah, he didn't want me to see the
size of the needle until it was all done. The tip is about the size of the
end of a ball-point pen cartridge. OUCH!

Jill

Old May 1st 04, 09:54 PM
Hopitus2

One thing I didn't understand is the registering w/AKC...last I heard,
that's a d-pet pedigree
registry. Are they in charge of the records of chip-implanted identities,
whether they're in cats or d-pets?

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
:
: Persia was a foundling and she is an indoor kitty; she escaped one day
about
: 2 months after she acquired me. She was gone for 24 hours. I was so
: upset... I was out walking around the neighborhood, calling for her half
the
: night. I almost had her, then some guy opened his front door and let his
: dogs out and she took off.
:
: The next night after work, I just sat down on my patio and cried, thinking
: I'd lost her forever. I went back inside and not 10 minutes later I hear
: this plaintive "Ow?" at my back door. Oh, you CAT you! Where have you
: been?! ROFL She was covered in leaves and mud; had obviously slept under
: bush.
:

Big cats in England Yoj Cat anecdotes 75 April 26th 04 02:49 AM
Feral cats _Evolution_ by Stephen Baxter Peter D. Tillman Cat anecdotes 83 April 16th 04 09:11 AM
"The CarMax of Cats" (nice story) CajunPrincess Cat anecdotes 3 March 30th 04 06:10 AM
sunny day=happy cats John Biltz Cat anecdotes 1 November 15th 03 05:14 AM
The cats of the Blue Cave badwilson Cat anecdotes 12 September 29th 03 05:25 PM