Chipping my Cats

Old May 2nd 04, 05:06 AM
Sherry

The chip is registered with the vet who implanted it and if the cat is
scanned, the vet gets the call from the Shelter and he calls you. This
is included in the price of the implant.

We've had two separate incidents where a cat and dog were scanned, had the
microchip, but the owner had moved and didn't change their address in the
registry, and had an expired forwarding address at the post office. We still
managed to find the owners, but it took some dedicated people digging to do it.
It's important for people to remember to update that registry.
Sherry
Old May 2nd 04, 08:28 AM
Fat Freddy

... the price seems to have gone up since I had
it done. Been a while, but I think it was only $5
a piece for registration, and the price for putting
in the chip will of course vary...

They do it at our County Animal Shelter for $20 or a vet comes to a
local feed store and charges $28. We went to the feed store because it
was more convenient for us. That includes registration, but the AKC
registration service cost an extra $12.50.

Old May 2nd 04, 02:58 PM
Fat Freddy

...The idea of dead bodies is grisly, but it makes
me wonder now if they scan roadkill?

I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but our local County Animal
Shelter told me that they scan all animals that they pick up, dead or
alive.

Old May 2nd 04, 03:08 PM
Fat Freddy

While we are talking about chipping, here's some info I learned:

There are a couple different kinds of chips, they are all about the
size of a grain of rice, but some have a little hook on them that
catches under the skin and keeps it in place between the shoulders. The
ones without the hook can migrate and sometimes the scanner misses them
because they are not where they are expected to be.

Big cats in England Yoj Cat anecdotes 75 April 26th 04 02:49 AM
Feral cats _Evolution_ by Stephen Baxter Peter D. Tillman Cat anecdotes 83 April 16th 04 09:11 AM
"The CarMax of Cats" (nice story) CajunPrincess Cat anecdotes 3 March 30th 04 06:10 AM
sunny day=happy cats John Biltz Cat anecdotes 1 November 15th 03 05:14 AM
The cats of the Blue Cave badwilson Cat anecdotes 12 September 29th 03 05:25 PM