[OT] Exploding CD

Old May 18th 04, 10:49 PM
Yowie

Default [OT] Exploding CD

Last night, there was suddenly an aweful noise from the kitchen. Joel rushed
over to find it was coming from the computer, specifically from the CDrw
drive, which had suddenly turned itself on (otherwise the computer was idle,
flicking through its screensaver, and had been for several hours). He
pressed the "open" button opn the CD drive, at which point htere was a loud
"pop" noice, and a few peices of a shattered CD ROM came out on the tray.
The rest of the shattered CD ROM had to be be extracted by pulling hte CDRW
drive to peices.

Now I know virii can ruin *software* but I can't for the life of me figure
out what on earth happened to cause the explosion of a CD ROM, e with a
commercial, high quality, expensive game on it, at that (Joel is Not Happy
at the loss of his game, which he hadn't even finished yet).

Can anyone offer an explanation, and whether its likely to happen again? As
it is, we don't want to put any CD in there that is important and can't be
replaced, which effectively means we don't have a working CD drive anymore,
let alone something that can *burn* CDs. And with allt he pictures of the
Yowlet we are taking, its *very* important that we can burn on a regular
basis, just in case for some reason this HD also goes crash that we still
have a copy. Is it time to bite the bullet and by a new RW drive, or is it
one of those things that is a freak of nature and is never likely to happen
again?

Yowie

Old May 19th 04, 12:14 AM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Hmph - you should contact the guys from Discovery Channel - there's a show
on there called Mythbusters, and they covered the 'exploding CD-rom disc" in
their second show - and for the life of them they couldn't get it to happen,
until they rigged the drive to give 100X the RPM it would normally have (I
think they used a high-powered electric or pneumatic drill to do that), and
even then they had to crack the disk before it would 'explode'. I found
their episode guide, and it's the second show they did:
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/my...e/episode.html

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old May 19th 04, 12:14 AM
:-\)Liz

Did you by any chance smell or find dampness near it?....I had our satellite
receiver start randomly doing different features..as well as comong on and
off.... Then the signal went screwy and it ...smoked....Upon opening the
dead receiver....we found a small amount of Cat "sprinkles" on the
circuitery!..GGGrrrr :-) Liz

Old May 19th 04, 12:42 AM
Victor Martinez

Yowie wrote:
Can anyone offer an explanation, and whether its likely to happen again? As

Maybe it committed suicide?

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old May 19th 04, 01:04 AM
Jeanne Hedge

On Tue, 18 May 2004 23:14:08 GMT, "Magic Mood Jeep©"
wrote:

Hmph - you should contact the guys from Discovery Channel - there's a show
on there called Mythbusters, and they covered the 'exploding CD-rom disc" in
their second show - and for the life of them they couldn't get it to happen,
until they rigged the drive to give 100X the RPM it would normally have (I
think they used a high-powered electric or pneumatic drill to do that), and
even then they had to crack the disk before it would 'explode'. I found
their episode guide, and it's the second show they did:
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/my...e/episode.html

According to this 2002 article:

http://theage.com.au/articles/2002/1...379779472.html

it's 52X CD-ROM and 16X DVD-ROM drives that are overstressing the
disks. Those spin up to 30K RPM.

IIRC, the Mythbusters were up near that 30K RPM when the first disk
(which had been damaged (microwaved?)) shattered. But it got to the
point where every CD they spun up to speed, including new and
undamaged ones, shattered. Some of them even dented the metal case
that's around the CD drawer inside the computer's case. This obviously
wasn't a "myth" worthy of being "busted" because even the guys at the
computer store told them they'd had several machines brought in for
repair after it had happened.

Here's a couple more links about it:

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/...dcrack/cd1.htm
http://www.hifi-writer.com/he/misc/killercds.htm

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

http://www.jhedge.com

Old May 19th 04, 01:31 AM
Jo Firey

Most incredibly interesting. Currently my tower is sitting sideways on the
desk, facing the wall rather than the room. (two towers and I seem to mess
with the wires more than I do with the front, go figure)

Maybe I'd best just leave them that way.

Jo