Not so hot purrday

Old November 30th 09, 04:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default Not so hot purrday

It's Miranda's 5th birthday today. She is not pleased with how we
celebrated it.

In the afternoon, I noticed her going into the litterbox, scratching
around, and then going away again. She came up to me and scolded me and
headbutted my hand. Then back to the litterbox, with no result. After
watching her closely for 15 minutes, I rang the vet's and they told me
to bring her right in.

Poor baby, first she had an ultrasound where they spritzed water on her
tummy and I had to help the vet tech hold her on her back while they ran
the ultrasound, then they took some urine through the skin. Later they
had to sedate her for an x-ray. They found something right at the
entrance to the urethra. I saw the x-ray, they are minuscule crystals,
apparently calcium oxylate ones.

She is out of her mind with pain killers. She has a pain medicine patch
on her flank, to be kept there until Thursday, a course of antibiotics
to start tomorrow, and more pain killers, also to be given tomorrow.
They gave her fluids, so I'm hoping they will flush out those crystals,
once she uncliinches enough to let them pass (the painkillers should
help with that). She has an e-collar on, and I may have to shut her in
the bathroom for the night so Caliban doesn't rip off the painkiller
patch. I feel so very bad for her.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old November 30th 09, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Marina" wrote in message
[...]

What a truly crummy was to be five! Poor girl, we will send tons of
calming and relaxing purrs.

Jo

Old November 30th 09, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Nov 30, 11:57*am, Marina wrote:
[...]

Everyone here is purring for her to feel better. You can always
celebrate the purrday then.

--
Will in New Haven

Old November 30th 09, 06:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Marina wrote:
[...]

Poor baby! Purrs for her to get better asap.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old November 30th 09, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

"Marina" wrote in message
[...]

Poor girl, I do hope she recovers very soon, what a birthday :-( She will
have to have an official birthday (like the Queen) when she's better in a
couple of weeks when she can have shrimpies and some nip!

Tomorrow is mine and KFC's birthday - I never knew the actual date of it so
I let her share mine as she arrived knocking on the door a day or two
before. She would have been 26 years old had she lived.
TBH, I doubt she would have done, I would have had to make the decision a
few months after someone made it for me, but that's not the point - which is
that no-one should snatch an elderly cat with health issues off the street
assuming it's not being cared for and have it put down.
I am perfectly capable of deciding when any of my animals or birds with
health problems have had enough and can't improve and I will do the right
thing.
As my own vet was still treating KFC and thought she would have a while yet,
I'm still bitter about the whole thing.

My next door neighbour avoids me now. Maybe she knows I know that the only
person who could have phoned the police with my mobile number was her. I
got a call from the police when I was in ER vomiting up with a trapped
hernia. "your back door is insecure"
My kind neighbour closed it (should never have been in my back garden at
all) effectively shutting out KFC overnight. No wonder she was dehydrated
the next day when she was outside looking for me, she was shut away from her
rehydration fluid.

rant over

This sort of thing will never happen to Boyfriend. He trusts no-one except
me. If he was in the street and someone approached him he'd be gone like
the wind. Actually he wouldn't even let them get that close, if he saw
someone 50 yards away he would disappear.
Although he knows June quite well as she feeds him when I am in hospital and
visits often, he was absolutely horrified when she spanned his back with her
fingers last week to see if she agreed with me that he was slightly fluffy.
"She touched me. OMG.. panic"

I did not encourage him to look for comfort about this as June is his best
friend - apart from me.

Tweed

Old November 30th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Marina wrote:
[...]

Poor baby! We are purring for everything to work out so she will feel
happy again. Best wishes. MLB
Old November 30th 09, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_6_]

Marina wrote in news:7nibrqF3m6dgvU1
@mid.individual.net:

[...]

Good for you for noticing the problem so quickly. Hope she (and you) are
back to normal soon.

Bobble
Old November 30th 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lisa Katt[_2_]

"Marina" skrev i meddelandet
[...]

Poor dear Miranda. I hope the medicines work fast.
Give her a lot of loving for her purrday, that will be her best present.
Elisabet

Old November 30th 09, 07:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Bobble wrote:

Good for you for noticing the problem so quickly. Hope she (and you) are
back to normal soon.

I'm just glad I was working from home today, so I was there when it started.

Old November 30th 09, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Marina" wrote in message
[...]

Awwww! Poor Miranda! Purrs on the way for her and for you and Caliban.
(Persia has to eat R/x food to prevent those crystalline oxolate
formations... but she loves the food)

Jill