Quality "chunks in gravy" food?

Old July 22nd 05, 11:49 PM
Newbie

Default Quality "chunks in gravy" food?

Someone had mentioned in another thread that her cat doesn't like to
eat paste-like food, preferring "chunks in gravy". My cat must has the
same taste. But for some reason premuim canned food tends to be paste.
Maybe most cats like it, but mine doesn't.

If you can recommend some good values in food that has "chunks in
gravy" texture, I would appreciate that.

(Or as the other poster out it, what looks smells and taste like Whiska
but has the nutrition of premium brands? While lurking, I was waiting
for an answer to that question but it got lost in ensuing discussion.)

BTW, texture being important to cats, shouldn't the cans say if it is a
"paste" or "chunks" etc? Or do I just not know how to read labels?
Old July 23rd 05, 12:00 AM
CatNipped

"Newbie" wrote in message
Someone had mentioned in another thread that her cat doesn't like to
eat paste-like food, preferring "chunks in gravy". My cat must has the
same taste. But for some reason premuim canned food tends to be paste.
Maybe most cats like it, but mine doesn't.

If you can recommend some good values in food that has "chunks in
gravy" texture, I would appreciate that.

(Or as the other poster out it, what looks smells and taste like Whiska
but has the nutrition of premium brands? While lurking, I was waiting
for an answer to that question but it got lost in ensuing discussion.)

BTW, texture being important to cats, shouldn't the cans say if it is a
"paste" or "chunks" etc? Or do I just not know how to read labels?

Fancy Feast has recently improved it's content and has the chunk-type
flavors. Most cans that have "in gravy" can be interpreted as being the
chunk variety.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 23rd 05, 12:13 AM
Snittens

"Newbie" wrote in message
Someone had mentioned in another thread that her cat doesn't like to
eat paste-like food, preferring "chunks in gravy". My cat must has the
same taste. But for some reason premuim canned food tends to be paste.
Maybe most cats like it, but mine doesn't.

If you can recommend some good values in food that has "chunks in
gravy" texture, I would appreciate that.

(Or as the other poster out it, what looks smells and taste like Whiska
but has the nutrition of premium brands? While lurking, I was waiting
for an answer to that question but it got lost in ensuing discussion.)

BTW, texture being important to cats, shouldn't the cans say if it is a
"paste" or "chunks" etc? Or do I just not know how to read labels?

The PetSmart Authority brand is actually decent quality. My cats all like
it pretty good. Some of the varieties are the chunks in gravy type. I can't
think of exactly what the label says, but you should be able to distiguish
it from the mushy type.

-Kelly

Old July 23rd 05, 12:21 AM
Wendy

"Snittens" wrote in message

"Newbie" wrote in message
[...]

They call it 'savory cuts in gravy'. My guys like the chicken that way.

Old July 23rd 05, 12:25 AM
Cheryl

On Fri 22 Jul 2005 06:49:32p, Newbie wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

Someone had mentioned in another thread that her cat doesn't
like to eat paste-like food, preferring "chunks in gravy". My
cat must has the same taste. But for some reason premuim canned
food tends to be paste. Maybe most cats like it, but mine
doesn't.

If you can recommend some good values in food that has "chunks
in gravy" texture, I would appreciate that.

Mine don't really like the paste texture, either, but it depends on
the flavor. If it's fishy, they like it, and don't care what form
it's in. I wouldn't usually recommend the kind my cats like, but
hey, they seem to be doing ok on it for now. We've been through all
of the premium brands and they like them for about 2 days. Or until
I buy a case. They like the fancy feast; the grilled varieties
of chicken, turkey, beef, and some of the fish ones - salmon and
whitefish. I give them turkey or chicken more than the other
varieties, but give them beef or fish flavored to keep them from
getting picky. 2 out of 4 cats eat mainly canned food. One of the
other two will only eat it if I don't fill his bowl of dry "on
demand" so I encourage the canned with him. The 4th would only eat
dry food for nearly two years but now will eat one meal a day of
Wellness turkey flavored, and only that one flavor. It's the paste
type.

(Or as the other poster out it, what looks smells and taste like
Whiska but has the nutrition of premium brands? While lurking, I
was waiting for an answer to that question but it got lost in
ensuing discussion.)

BTW, texture being important to cats, shouldn't the cans say if
it is a "paste" or "chunks" etc? Or do I just not know how to
read labels?

With Fancy feast, the "grilled" varieties are like shredded meat in
gravy. The "feast" is a paste, flaked is a little chunkier than
paste, "chunky" is only slightly chuncky, "sliced" is sliced, and
any of the fish in aspic is really nasty looking but they love it
as a treat now and then. LOL Yup, I think I'm familiar with all
of the Fancy feast varieties.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old July 23rd 05, 06:10 AM
M.C. Mullen

"CatNipped" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
: ...
:
[...]

Have you ever tried junks in jelly (meat one of course)?
My cats thrive on that!!

Carola

Old July 23rd 05, 07:13 AM
Rrb

Newbie wrote:
Someone had mentioned in another thread that her cat doesn't like to
eat paste-like food, preferring "chunks in gravy". My cat must has the
same taste. But for some reason premuim canned food tends to be paste.
Maybe most cats like it, but mine doesn't.

If you can recommend some good values in food that has "chunks in
gravy" texture, I would appreciate that.

(Or as the other poster out it, what looks smells and taste like Whiska
but has the nutrition of premium brands? While lurking, I was waiting
for an answer to that question but it got lost in ensuing discussion.)

BTW, texture being important to cats, shouldn't the cans say if it is a
"paste" or "chunks" etc? Or do I just not know how to read labels?

Nutro makes chunks in gravy that is available in pouches. You can also
try the max cat gourmet classics in cans - which is in the chunked form
but the gravy is a bit thicker than the pouches. It is better quality
than Whiskas and Fancy feast.
Old July 23rd 05, 06:05 PM

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:21:10 -0400, "Wendy"
wrote:

"Snittens" wrote in message

"Newbie" wrote in message
[...]

I always look for descriptions like "savory cuts," "prime filets," and
"shredded." My cat will eat just about anything (except senior, he
hates the senior foods for some reason) but I buy the gravy varieties
for my convenience. Since one can will give my cat three meals, the
paste tends to get too solid when chilled, making it harder to cut up.
The gravy varieties are easier, as I can just give him a couple
spoonfuls at a time, which is a lot quicker when he starts meowing at
4am.

pepsi
Old July 24th 05, 07:54 PM
Stan Horwitz

In article , Newbie
wrote:

Someone had mentioned in another thread that her cat doesn't like to
eat paste-like food, preferring "chunks in gravy". My cat must has the
same taste. But for some reason premuim canned food tends to be paste.
Maybe most cats like it, but mine doesn't.

If you can recommend some good values in food that has "chunks in
gravy" texture, I would appreciate that.

(Or as the other poster out it, what looks smells and taste like Whiska
but has the nutrition of premium brands? While lurking, I was waiting
for an answer to that question but it got lost in ensuing discussion.)

BTW, texture being important to cats, shouldn't the cans say if it is a
"paste" or "chunks" etc? Or do I just not know how to read labels?

Each cat is different, but my cat loves those little packets of Whiskas
sliced beef. In fact, as soon as I start to tear open one of those
packets, my cat will jump up on the counter and try to start eating the
food before I have even finished dumping it all in her bowl. My cat
also likes the Purina and Friskies versions of sliced beef, but she
really gets excited over the Whiskas version. YMMV.
Old July 25th 05, 02:02 AM
tsr3

Stan--my 3 are the same way---they go ape**** over Whiskas beef--also
the whitefish.--becky