Abelard = 6.6 lbs.

Old July 25th 08, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Abelard = 6.6 lbs.

"Yowie" wrote in message
"Gandalf" wrote in message

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:19:09 -0500, "Pat"
wrote:

I knew he had gained some because I had to loosen his harness. It
was a pleasant surprise discovering that he is back up to more than
6.5 lbs. When he's at least 8 lbs. I will quit worrying that he's
too thin. He'll need to have that much weight to have a chance of
being semi-comfortable this winter.

Wow, that seems so *light* to me, for an adult cat!

But every ounce gained is a big step in the right direction, of
course.

Just keep spoiling him, unmercifully.

I know what you mean about winter! It's hard for *me* to stay warm,
and I can add more clothing.

I spoil my Kenzie with a heated bed in the winter. While I'm at work,
and at night, it's only 55F (13C) in my house.

Is that considered cold for inside the house on a winter night?

It gets colder here at night (down to about 10C, 50F, sometimes a little
colder) and I've never bothered to leave the heating on after I've gone to
bed. One nice thick doona (duvet, comforter) and flannelette pyjamas and
I'm toasty warm. I figure the cats, having a natural fur coat, can easily
cope with those sorts of temperatures.

I get up in the morning and turn the A/C on for an hour or so before the
sun starts coming through the northern windows and warms up the place - it
keeps the place warm all day (and sometimes we have to open up the
windows, even on winter days, because of the sun). The A/C comes back on
at some point after the sun going down, and usually stays on till we go to
bed. But at the moment, with me sitting in my flanny PJs and bedsocks
(yes, such a sexy image), I am perfectly comfortable without the A/C. Suki
is curled up on the printer (which will no doubt soon suffer the same
cause of death as the two previous ones - cat hair overload), Shadow is
curled up on 'her' mat on the kitchen floor (woe betide another cat that
thinks of putting so much as a whisker near its perimeter) and Pickle is
once again shedding into the clean laundry pile. None of them are seeking
out the natural heat sources (me, the computers, the top of the tv, top of
the fish tank light, etc). I reckon its about 13C, 55F in here at the
moment.

That would be "warm" for my house in the winter if I was out at work or in
bed (which means my woodburner would be too)
Am I the only person who has found my flannel (face towel) had fallen into
the bath and frozen to the plughole overnight? Probably ;-)

Tweed

Old July 26th 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Heat Pump and A/C (was: Abelard = 6.6 lbs.)

I love how this subject line typifies thread drift on RPCA.

outsider wrote:

I think in the US we might say heat pump for a reversable A/C but maybe
folks with those even say heat and A/C according to what mode they are
running. Aren't you (Joyce) in a "heat pump" area?

Hmm, I'm not sure what that means. In my apartment building, we have
electric heat. They're baseboard space heaters, one for each room
(except kitchen and bathroom). I don't know if that's relevant to
your question or not, because I'm not sure what "heat pump" means. I've
never heard the phrase before, though. Since I'm a renter I tend not to
pay close attention to that stuff. I just call it "the heat".

The building doesn't come with a/c (by which I mean only air-cooling and
dehumidifying), although I bought a small window unit which cools just
one room. I don't use it that often though - I used it mainly when I was
working at home on extremely hot days. Don't work at home anymore. Mostly
it's pretty temperate where I live, so a fan does the job pretty well.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 26th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"outsider" wrote in message

wrote in
:

I love how this subject line typifies thread drift on RPCA.

Yeah.

outsider wrote:

I think in the US we might say heat pump for a reversable A/C but
maybe folks with those even say heat and A/C according to what mode
they are running. Aren't you (Joyce) in a "heat pump" area?

Hmm, I'm not sure what that means. In my apartment building, we have
electric heat.

Heat pumps are popular where the need for A/C is high but the need
for heat is not great. In those locations heat pumps are economical
compared to other sources but I don't think they can produce enough
heat for northern locations. I think that is how it works.

That would be us :-). Need for cool temps in summer is great (it got to 52C,
125F in the kitchen one year before we had a/c), need for warming in winter
is desirable, but not great. It never snows here, for example, and even
frosts are very rare.

Students that come for work experience from places like Canada and Northern
America always complain they're very cold in winter - thats because our
houses don't usually come with built-in heating or insulation, and usually
cheap rental accomodation has no heat (besides the stove top) at all. In
cheap rental accomodation, if its 10C outside, it will probably be close to
10C on the inside, too. When I was flatting, a two bar electric radiant
heater did the trick, though, and warmed the lounge/dining/kitchen of the 2
bedroom apartment quite adequately, but we had to puchase that ourselves. It
just plugged into a normal electric wall socket.

I live at about he same latitude (except south) as Charleston, South
Carolina, and near the coast like Charleston. That should give you a rough
idea of my climate.

Yowie

Old July 26th 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

outsider wrote:

I think in the US we might say heat pump for a reversable A/C but
maybe folks with those even say heat and A/C according to what mode
they are running. *Aren't you (Joyce) in a "heat pump" area?

Hmm, I'm not sure what that means. In my apartment building, we have
electric heat.

Heat pumps are popular where the need for A/C is high but the need for heat
is not great. *In those locations heat pumps are economical compared to
other sources but I don't think they can produce enough heat for northern
locations. *I think that is how it works.

We have a heat pump. Like you said, it's great in the summer, but when
it's really frigid outdoors, it doesn't seem to warm the house well.
Normal operation when it's
really cold is that it blows lukewarm air, constantly. You never get a
blast of hot
air like you do with a gas furnace. It seems very efficient though;
our bills are much lower than neighbors with regular electric central
heat.

Sherry

Sherry
Old July 26th 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Heat Pump and A/C

outsider wrote:

Heat pumps are popular where the need for A/C is high but the need for heat
is not great. In those locations heat pumps are economical compared to
other sources but I don't think they can produce enough heat for northern
locations. I think that is how it works.

OK, then I doubt I have a heat pump. It might produce enough heat for
the winter here, but we don't have a great need for A/C. Most homes do
not have A/C around here. It's often foggy and cool in the summer, with
the occasional very hot day, but not enough of them to justify installing
central air conditioning.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 26th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

I live at about he same latitude (except south) as Charleston, South
Carolina, and near the coast like Charleston. That should give you a rough
idea of my climate.

Do you have high humidity, too? I think South Carolina is very humid.
I've never been there, but in general the southern east coast of the US
is very humid.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 26th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

wrote in message
Yowie wrote:

I live at about he same latitude (except south) as Charleston, South
Carolina, and near the coast like Charleston. That should give you a
rough
idea of my climate.

Do you have high humidity, too? I think South Carolina is very humid.
I've never been there, but in general the southern east coast of the US
is very humid.

Charleston SC usually has 85%+ humidity, as does our area. They average
5-10 F hotter than us as well. We have a heat pump, we do use it every
winter and it usually works well enough, but we also have a fireplace with
an insert that works when it gets really cold as the furnace doesn't warm
enough for us to get away with regular shirt sleeves and I hate asking
family and friends to wear sweaters ala Jimmy Carter.

Pam S.

Old July 26th 08, 11:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I have a glass of water by my bed at night, more than once I've gone to take
a sip and found it frozen.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Abelard again (pic) Pat Cat anecdotes 7 December 5th 06 08:41 AM
Abelard is gone again Pat Cat anecdotes 29 September 13th 05 05:52 PM
Oh, Abelard....!!! Pat Cat anecdotes 26 July 6th 05 04:09 AM
Abelard going to TED Pat Cat anecdotes 28 May 4th 05 12:40 AM
Abelard Says Yes Pat Cat anecdotes 4 April 28th 05 07:25 PM