Ping Dan - any news on Sammy?

Old November 6th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default Ping Dan - any news on Sammy?

On Nov 6, 4:00*am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message

On Nov 5, 5:02 pm, Daniel Mahoney wrote:

In article ,

wrote:
Just checking in.

No news yet. I've got both vets, the shelter, and neighbors looking with
me.

Dan, I wanted to pass along this, just in case it might apply in your
case: At our shelter,
when someone inquires about a lost cat, they go on a list. There are
*so many* different
volunteers, and they're so busy down there, it really helps when the
owner checks with
them every single day. *It's just a madhouse down there; your shelter
may be much
better organized with better communication.
I know you and Nancy are frantic. I hope he appears at the door, soon.

Sherry

*snipped
A friend of mine recently learned that her beloved
dog (which ran out the door when a housekeeper came in) was euthanized,
despite numerous phone calls.

snipped
MaryL

This has happens, more often than we probably know. Overcrowding,
inexperienced volunteers, and breakdown in communication. I don't
remember
any dogs being euthanized, but I *do* remember a case where a dog was
adopted to a new family; the owner discovered the dog and claimed she
had repeatedly called the shelter. Except she would ask for a
"Collie" when she called; this dog was a blue-merle Collie mix and
looked really more like an Australian Sheepdog mix.
So the person answering the phone would say "No, we don't have any
Collies"

Sherry
Old November 6th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote:
Just checking in.

No news yet. I've got both vets, the shelter, and neighbors looking
with
me.

Dan, I wanted to pass along this, just in case it might apply in your
case: At our shelter,
when someone inquires about a lost cat, they go on a list. There are
*so many* different
volunteers, and they're so busy down there, it really helps when the
owner checks with
them every single day. It's just a madhouse down there; your shelter
may be much
better organized with better communication.
I know you and Nancy are frantic. I hope he appears at the door, soon.

Given my own experiences, I'd want to personally check the cages at
the nearby shelters.

Jo

Old November 6th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Daniel Mahoney wrote:

We did that when Nancy got home last night. Checked every place we could
think of, including places we had checked right after he disappeared.

heading to the Animal Rescue League today to drop off a couple of my
color Sammy posters. Also left some with neighbors and one with the mail
man.

A couple of things I did, and also that I heard about, when Smudge went
missing a couple of years ago:

- I called Animal Control every single day. I got on a first-name basis
with one guy who worked in that office, and he allowed me to mail him a
photo of Smudge and said he'd put it up so that nobody would euthanize
her before I had a chance to come get her. (I can only hope that he really
did post it - he'd told me that they didn't usually do this, but because
I was checking every day, he had developed a relationship with me and seemed
willing to do me a favor.)

I don't know if Animal Control deals with this stuff where you live. Of
course, we have shelters in my area, too, but they generally don't accept
animals off the street. Those go to animal control first. But I live in an
urban area where agencies are spread pretty thin - they might have a better
handle on animal issues in your area.

- There are some websites that have extensive information for how to look
for a lost pet. (I think David Stevenson has links - I might also have them
on my home browser, but I'm at work right now.) One of the sites suggested
that you talk to children in your neighborhood. Kids are outside playing
every day and they know more than you think. They might have seen Sammy but
didn't happen to mention it to their parents. You could also post some signs
low down on the phone poles (or wherever you're posting them), at kid level,
and worded in a way that's easy for a child to read (big block print, easy
phrasing, etc).

Hope this helps! Continued GYFBH purrs.

--
Joyce ^..^