Mom Update 11/7 Afternoon

Old November 7th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Mom Update 11/7 Afternoon

I insisted I be able to see my mother before 4PM and was told of course I
can, I'm family! Well duh, that wasn't made clear to me yesterday. So I
saw Mom while she was having lunch in the little rehab unit lunch room. She
was just picking at her food. One look and I knew immediately why she
wasn't eating it. Apparently they brought her the menu for today late
yesterday. She said they stood there waiting to take it so they could turn
it in. She felt rushed so she just selected things at random. She probably
didn't even have her glasses on. So she got baked fish, which she's never
cared for, and frozen chopped broccoli, which is mostly stems that never
gets tender no matter how long you cook it.

When we got back to her room I helped her fill out the menu for tomorrow's
meals, making sure we selected things I know she likes. Or at least, used
to like. I noticed one of the beverages listed was buttermilk. I know she
dislikes buttermilk so of course I asked if she wanted some. You should
have seen her screw up her face before exclaiming, "You know I can't stand
buttermilk!" LOL

Anyway, after lunch we met with the social worker. Mom will be there for
another week while they evaluate her progress in physical and occupational
therapy. The social worker asked me questions about the equipment we
already have at home. She has a walker. I'd gotten her a nice sturdy
bath/shower chair with arms and a back and a padded seat. I installed a
hand-held shower nozzle. (Why anyone wouldn't want one of these anyway is
beyond me!) There are no rails in the bathtub. But my brother found a big
handle that clamps tightly the side of the tub which is intended for
steadying yourself getting in and out of the tub. It's made by Moen, the
faucet & fixture company.

After that I went with her to her afternoon physical therapy session. It's
a gorgeous day here (75F) so they held it outside! Funny to see a chain of
wheelchairs being rolled down the sidewalk and out onto the lawn under a big
shady tree. They did basic arms and legs flexibility and strengthening
exercises, etc.

Then they played horseshoes! LOL A lot of the people are more ambulatory
than she is, either for medical reasons or because they've been in the rehab
unit longer doing PT. Those folks stood up holding onto a walker while they
tossed horseshoes at a stake in the ground. In Mom's case the therapist
helped her out of the wheelchair to stand and supported her while she tossed
the horseshoes. Mom was a real trouper even though I could tell this was
very painful for her.

The only complaint I have about these exercises was some of the CNA's
helping out are cut-ups. They were so busy joking around with each other
(over the patients heads) the patients couldn't hear what the therapist was
asking them to do.

Considering she's only been in this unit for a day they tell me she's doing
very well. Won't know until next week whether I'll have to get a wheelchair
or if she can go back to using her walker. Stuff like that.

On Saturdays they only do therapy in the mornings. So I'll go back over
tomorrow after her morning session. I'll have lunch with her and we'll
spend some time together. She wants me to bring her quilted bed jacket.
Will do

Jill

Old November 7th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Well, sounds like you day was better than expected. Glad you got things
settled so you can feel a bit better.

Old November 7th 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

You sound so much more hopeful and upbeat than just a few days ago - nice to
read! I'm so glad things are going well for you and your mom. Purrs for
her health and wellbeing are continuing.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 7th 08, 10:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Granby wrote:
Well, sounds like you day was better than expected. Glad you got
things settled so you can feel a bit better.

It's all about her feeling better. I felt bad she felt rushed to choose her
menu choices for today. She IS drinking Ensure which I hadn't been able to
get her to do at home. She was drinking Carnation Instant Breakfast either
in milk or a milkshake or cocoa form at home. I helped her choose her food
for tomorrow to something more palatable.

She's doing very well according to the therapists. But they have only been
working with her today, really. Yesterday was extensive evaluation.

I'll call her in an hour and I did make sure she's getting nighttime pain
medication so she can sleep. I need to sleep. I haven't been doing much of
that myself. Thanks grandby.

Jill

Old November 7th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Granby wrote:
Well, sounds like you day was better than expected. Glad you got
things settled so you can feel a bit better.

It's all about her feeling better. I felt bad she felt rushed to choose
her menu choices for today. She IS drinking Ensure which I hadn't been
able to get her to do at home. She was drinking Carnation Instant
Breakfast either in milk or a milkshake or cocoa form at home. I helped
her choose her food for tomorrow to something more palatable.

As with cats who are elderly - I don't think it's as important *what* they
eat, just *that* they eat. Calories are calories no matter what form they
take.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 8th 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

That sounds very encouraging! I'm glad you were able to help her pick food
she likes for tomorrow.

--

Joy

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of
masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch. - Leo Dworken

Old November 8th 08, 12:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Joy wrote:
That sounds very encouraging! I'm glad you were able to help her
pick food she likes for tomorrow.

Heh, well dinner tonight for her is BBQ chicken which, in the southern U.S.,
means tasteless chicken slathered in BBQ sauce. And in the hospital it will
certainly mean a chicken breast half. We prefer thighs and drumsticks,
thanks. So I'm not sure she'll like that. But it was that or more fish, so
we chose the lesser of two evils She'll definitely eat the coleslaw and
the mac & cheese sides.

They have her on a "cardiac diet" which only makes sense if you heard what
the nurse told me yesterday morning over the phone. Oh, I see she had an
MI. What's an MI? Myocardial infarction. I yelled "My mother had a HEART
ATTACK and no one told me?!!" Well, she was in ICU. Yeah, lady, she was in
ICU after they put a pin in her hip because she's 82. Oh, you're right, she
didn't have an MI. Geez, lady, are you trying to give *me* a myocardial
infarction? Get your facts right!

Jill

Old November 8th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Joy wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, that type of thing often happens (and I say this as one who
generally tries to follow medical instructions *to the letter*). On one
occasion, my mother was released from the hospital to the nursing home with
instructions for insulin. My mother did not have diabetes! The director of
nursing from the nursing home even called the hospital to question how she
could have diabetes when she did not have it two days earlier. The nurse
she spoke to insisted that Mother did have diabetes and was to be given
insulin. So, she was given one dose of insulin. Unfortunately, the nursing
home did not notify me until *after* the injection was given. I nearly went
through the roof because I had discovered the *same* error at the hospital,
had prevented them from giving insulin, had insisted on a review (and found
that there was an error in the records), and had practically gone through
hoops in trying to make sure that the error would not follow her. My mother
was 90 years old at that time, and I believe continued insulin injections
could have killed her. Incidentally, I never did learn why her BG was not
tested before giving the injection and why that also would not have
prevented it. Then, on a related note, I still regularly see the woman who
was my mother's roommate in the nursing home, and I take her out to dinner
every two or three weeks. (My mother died a little more than a year ago, at
the age of 91.) Her former roommate was hospitalized this week for a
blockage in her leg. She *does* have diabetes and takes insulin and Byetta.
I learned after she was released that she had not been tested a single time
and had not been given her medication during her days in the hospital. She
was also released with orders that all medication had been discontinued!
This poor woman is on Medicaid and has almost nothing to rely on. She is
also living on her own because she was discharged from the nursing home back
to individual living several months ago. I was horrified and thought the
doctor had made an error. In this case, her "provider" went to both
doctors' offices (the surgeon and the doctor who normally sees her).
*Neither* of the doctors had issued that order. Someone in the hospital
changed it. So, she now has her medication again. But, once again, this is
something that never should have happened -- and there are undoubtedly
protocols already in place that should have assured that it would not
happen -- but it clearly did occur.

Bottom line: I really am not "down" on the medical profession, and I try to
follow instructions. But it is very important to be an advocate (just as
Jill has described), especially for those who are not able to ask questions
for themselves.

MaryL

Old November 8th 08, 02:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Jill, for many years, my mom volunteered at the assisted living facility in
her small town. It was a 2 hour "job". She helped everyone do their menus.
Being the way she was, she'd spend an hour with someone if they seemed
lonely or a little confused by the menu's choices. Too many people do NOT
spend the time, and I mean quality time to help someone like that. So, her
volunteer days were an 8 hour day for he!!!! (And who would ever think that
she ended up losing her cancer battle there on the hospice wing).

Your dear Mom sounds like she's hanging in there. I look for your updates
with high hopes of reading about improvement every day!!

--

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln