A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cat anecdotes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Valentine's Day Alone



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 14th 09, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 379
Default Valentine's Day Alone

It isn't much fun to be alone on this day, feeling like no one will ever
love me again (pity party). But I got a special and unexpected
Valentine's Day gift that I will treasure.

You may remember me mentioning my cousin Jane, who passed not too long
ago. I still have been mourning all the losses and the lost chance to
say goodbye. I was thinking about Jane today, when there was a knock on
the door. I went down, and there was her son, Steve, and a friend, with
three boxes of astrology and other spiritually-related books of Jane's
that I had asked for if they wanted to pass them along. Since her
daughter is a Jehovah's Witness, I'm sure she was glad to get rid of
them. And now I have books on everything from astrology to Feng Shui.
A nice gift from beyond this world.

I loved you, Jane. You were a great person, and a great cat lover. I
will always miss you. And thanks for the books :-)

Ginger-lyn
  #2  
Old February 14th 09, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,628
Default Valentine's Day Alone

Our town is celebrating Valentine's with a tempest in a teapot over
some idiots at the local paper and a teenage girl.

Now small local papers really should stick to stories off the wire, or
at least hire one person that is literate. Preferable one with half
way decent judgement. But then where would the fun be.

So a local reporter decides to write a story and the local
photographer decides to help her out. His judgement is worse than
hers. And some fool decides to put their joint efforts on the front
page along with large color photo's.

Article is evidently intended to promote local business, but the
writer had to make sure everyone knew how cool she is by interviewing
a few 'adult stores' that sell 'adult video and toys'.

The picture with the caption, at 1/4 of a page is of a local girl
trying on lingerie at the Mistique Botique. Caption gives her name
and very small town she lives in, and says she is eighteen. Friends
say she is seventeen and her parents are mad as hell.

Not to mention the picture is taken over her shoulder of her looking
in the mirror in the dressing room, which makes some wonder what the
he$$ the photographer was doing in the dressing room.

Smal towns. Not as boring as you might think.

Jo



  #3  
Old February 15th 09, 12:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,073
Default Valentine's Day Alone

On Feb 14, 2:59*pm, Ginger-lyn wrote:
It isn't much fun to be alone on this day, feeling like no one will ever
love me again (pity party).


Jackie, on "That Seventies Show," says that Valentines Day is the
holiest day of the year. But I don't take it quite that seriously. "No
romance" isn't the same as "no one loves you." You are loved and, who
knows, romance might be right around the corner. Now whether that's
good or bad is a different question. :-,)

But I got a special and unexpected
Valentine's Day gift that I will treasure.

You may remember me mentioning my cousin Jane, who passed not too long
ago. *I still have been mourning all the losses and the lost chance to
say goodbye. *I was thinking about Jane today, when there was a knock on
the door. *I went down, and there was her son, Steve, and a friend, with
three boxes of astrology and other spiritually-related books of Jane's
that I had asked for if they wanted to pass them along. *Since her
daughter is a Jehovah's Witness, I'm sure she was glad to get rid of
them. *And now I have books on everything from astrology to Feng Shui.
A nice gift from beyond this world.

I loved you, Jane. *You were a great person, and a great cat lover. *I
will always miss you. *And thanks for the books :-)


I got some of my mom's books when she went. And WooToo, her cat.
Everything she left behind is wonderful to me.

--
Will in New Haven
  #4  
Old February 15th 09, 05:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 628
Default Valentine's Day Alone

Will in New Haven wrote:
Jackie, on "That Seventies Show," says that Valentines Day is
the
holiest day of the year.


Then Jackie's wrong. *SAINT* Valentine's Day isn't a feast of
obligation within the Holy Roman Catholic Church. Saint Valentine
is one of the minor saints.

Having said that, it does annoy me when people just call it
"Valentine's Day". After all, one doesn't refer to "Patrick's
Day", or "George's Day", or "Swithin's Day", does one?

--
MatSav


  #5  
Old February 15th 09, 11:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,349
Default Valentine's Day Alone

MatSav matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com wrote:

Will in New Haven wrote:


Jackie, on "That Seventies Show," says that Valentines Day is
the holiest day of the year.


Then Jackie's wrong. *SAINT* Valentine's Day isn't a feast of
obligation within the Holy Roman Catholic Church. Saint Valentine
is one of the minor saints.


Having said that, it does annoy me when people just call it
"Valentine's Day". After all, one doesn't refer to "Patrick's
Day", or "George's Day", or "Swithin's Day", does one?


I probably hear it referred to as Valentine's day 20 times to every
one time I hear it with the "Saint" prepended. I'm afraid Lesley's Dave
is right (sorry, Lesley!) - this holiday no longer has anything to do
with the Catholic faith in most people's minds. It's about greeting
card companies, florists and chocolatiers.

--
Joyce ^..^

(Of course, if I ever again have a sweetie, maybe I won't be *quite* so
cynical... but I'll probably still be somewhat cynical - I mean, the pink
and red hearts are up in the store aisles the day after New Year's - 'nuff
said?)

(To email me, remove the X's from my user name.)
  #6  
Old February 15th 09, 01:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,733
Default Valentine's Day Alone

"Ginger-lyn" wrote in message
...
It isn't much fun to be alone on this day, feeling like no one will ever
love me again (pity party). But I got a special and unexpected
Valentine's Day gift that I will treasure.

And it's a wonderful gift she left you. I'm sorry you lost Jane.

You need to remember, being by yourself isn't necessarily being "alone".
You have to like yourself before other people will like you. And having a
boyfriend or whatever isn't validation for who you are. I'm here in South
Caroline by myself, have been for a while now. But I'm not "alone". I
learned years ago how to like myself and live with (and by) myself. I don't
expect other people to validate my existance or even to approve of me.

You're loved. People on this ng love you. Your cats love you even if they
are causing you some stress lately.

Jill

  #7  
Old February 15th 09, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 92
Default Valentine's Day Alone

On Feb 15, 3:02*am, wrote:
.. I'm afraid Lesley's Dave
is right (sorry, Lesley!) -


No worries- I agree it's a commercial rip off and I'll take him as he
is- warts and all (I know those warts so well) over a bunch of roses
(I don;t like roses) and a box of chocolates

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
  #8  
Old February 16th 09, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 379
Default Valentine's Day Alone

Jofirey wrote:
Our town is celebrating Valentine's with a tempest in a teapot over
some idiots at the local paper and a teenage girl.

Now small local papers really should stick to stories off the wire, or
at least hire one person that is literate. Preferable one with half
way decent judgement. But then where would the fun be.

So a local reporter decides to write a story and the local
photographer decides to help her out. His judgement is worse than
hers. And some fool decides to put their joint efforts on the front
page along with large color photo's.

Article is evidently intended to promote local business, but the
writer had to make sure everyone knew how cool she is by interviewing
a few 'adult stores' that sell 'adult video and toys'.

The picture with the caption, at 1/4 of a page is of a local girl
trying on lingerie at the Mistique Botique. Caption gives her name
and very small town she lives in, and says she is eighteen. Friends
say she is seventeen and her parents are mad as hell.

Not to mention the picture is taken over her shoulder of her looking
in the mirror in the dressing room, which makes some wonder what the
he$$ the photographer was doing in the dressing room.

Smal towns. Not as boring as you might think.

Jo



lol! What a risky thing to do to that poor 17-year-old. Hope she's got
a better head on her shoulders than the people around her.

Ginger-lyn
  #9  
Old February 16th 09, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 379
Default Valentine's Day Alone

Will in New Haven wrote:
On Feb 14, 2:59 pm, Ginger-lyn wrote:
It isn't much fun to be alone on this day, feeling like no one will ever
love me again (pity party).


Jackie, on "That Seventies Show," says that Valentines Day is the
holiest day of the year. But I don't take it quite that seriously. "No
romance" isn't the same as "no one loves you." You are loved and, who
knows, romance might be right around the corner. Now whether that's
good or bad is a different question. :-,)


Thank you, Will. I'm not sure I'm ready for romantic love again just
yet. But then, I am an incurable romantic, and love that line from
"Practical Magick" -- "Fall in love as often as you can."

But I got a special and unexpected
Valentine's Day gift that I will treasure.

You may remember me mentioning my cousin Jane, who passed not too long
ago. I still have been mourning all the losses and the lost chance to
say goodbye. I was thinking about Jane today, when there was a knock on
the door. I went down, and there was her son, Steve, and a friend, with
three boxes of astrology and other spiritually-related books of Jane's
that I had asked for if they wanted to pass them along. Since her
daughter is a Jehovah's Witness, I'm sure she was glad to get rid of
them. And now I have books on everything from astrology to Feng Shui.
A nice gift from beyond this world.

I loved you, Jane. You were a great person, and a great cat lover. I
will always miss you. And thanks for the books :-)


I got some of my mom's books when she went. And WooToo, her cat.
Everything she left behind is wonderful to me.


I feel the same way, although there was always strain between my parents
and i. i have very few things they left me, but there are photos and
scrapbooks, and my father's slide rule, and each is a treasure to me.

--
Will in New Haven


Ginger-lyn
  #10  
Old February 16th 09, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 379
Default Valentine's Day Alone

MatSav wrote:
Will in New Haven wrote:
Jackie, on "That Seventies Show," says that Valentines Day is
the
holiest day of the year.


Then Jackie's wrong. *SAINT* Valentine's Day isn't a feast of
obligation within the Holy Roman Catholic Church. Saint Valentine
is one of the minor saints.

Having said that, it does annoy me when people just call it
"Valentine's Day". After all, one doesn't refer to "Patrick's
Day", or "George's Day", or "Swithin's Day", does one?

I bet that happens mostly here in America. I think sometimes we are
just kinda lazy - heh.

Ginger-lyn
thinking there is the even worse "Happy V. D." Ugh.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Valentine's purrezzie? Stephanie Serba Cat community 1 February 17th 06 10:24 PM
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY Irulan Cat anecdotes 0 February 14th 06 11:54 AM
Happy Valentine's Day! CatNipped Cat anecdotes 2 February 14th 06 11:05 AM
[OT] Valentine's Present CatNipped Cat anecdotes 12 February 17th 05 12:24 AM
Happy Valentine's Day Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 16 February 15th 04 07:30 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CatBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.