Call it what it is: killed NOT euthanized

Old December 6th 03, 11:35 PM
MaryL

"Kalyahna" wrote in message
"Joe Pitt" wrote in message
. ..
I attended a presentation about stopping the killing of cats (and dogs)

in
animal control facilities. He emphasised that you euthanize an animal

that
is SICK.

A lot of shelters apparently have a reputation for euthanizing strays as
soon as their legal holding period is over. NOT every shelter does this.

Yes, this is true. I saw Duffy's picture and description on Petfinders, and
it was clear that the picture had been there for some time. The description
also said that animals were kept at that shelter for 14 days before being
euthanized. I was fairly sure that it was too late, but I called anyway.
Duffy was still alive! He had been at the shelter for 3 months, and shelter
staff were doing everything possible to keep him (literally, to "shelter"
him) until a home could be found. That turned out to be one of the best
days of my life because I was able to adopt Duffy (and, I hope, one of the
best days of *his* life). That animal shelter is going to receive a
donation from me at Christmas in Duffy's honor.

By the way, not every shelter still uses the time-limit criteria for
euthanasia.

On a more personal note (which explains why this subject is so intensely
irritating), as a certified euthanasia tech, I helped with my first euth
today.

But he HAD those issues, and we cannot put a dog up for
adoption that will bite if someone reaches toward his food dish, or
distrusts men completely and barely trusts women. And he was euthanized.

Not
killed. You know why there's that difference in wording for the people who
actually work in this field, Joe? Because frankly, if we look at it as
killing, slaughtering, whatever you'd like to call it, it would be
impossible for us to do. But if we call it euthanasia, we remember that we
put them to sleep, end their suffering, and prevent injury to other

animals
and other people. We take on that emotional burden and the extra

heartbreak
that already fills a very emotionally difficult line of work.

This is an excellent point. I once did inspections of our local animal
shelter for the Humane Society, and I witnessed the process you just
described. I was very impressed with the love and care I saw there. It was
clearly painful to the staff when animals were euthanized, but the
alternative would have been even worse.

~Kal.

Old December 8th 03, 01:07 PM
Phil P.

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 07:00:10 -0500, "Phil P."
wrote:

Maybe if everyone used the correct terms that describes exactly what it

is,
more people would be outraged and sickened enough to force legislation to
eliminate it -- like mandatory neuter before adoption or sale (health
permitting) and subsidize vets or give them a tax deduction for neutering

all
animals in their care regardless of the owners' consent or ability to

pay.

It would be great to get help with vet costs for altering pets, but no
vet would ever go along with mandatory altering without owners'
consent.

If mandatory neutering was the law, vets would have no choice.... (health
permitting).

If they altered a champion dog that was part of a breeding
program, there would be a major lawsuit.

Vets would be protected by the law.... Btw, breeders are not very high on my
list of priorities.... In fact, they're not even on it....

Phil

Old December 8th 03, 07:11 PM
Kalyahna

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
It would be great to get help with vet costs for altering pets, but no
vet would ever go along with mandatory altering without owners'
consent.

There are low income assistance programs available at some shelters, and
we've had some success in getting landlords to require spay/neuter instead
of declaw on resident cats.

Btw, I think most (if not all) large shelters DO alter before an animal is
made available for adoption, or at the very least before they go home. I
know a few middle-of-nowhere shelters that do this as well, even though the
animals have to be transported an hour each way to get the surgery done.
We're lucky enough to have a fantastic vet school in town, and some of the
students come in and even spay and neuter rats for us, now and then.

Old December 8th 03, 10:35 PM
Sharon Talbert

You go, girl! I am glad you are one of those in the trenches of our
public shelters. It's a tough tough job and certainly a thankless one.

I look forward to more postings from you.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
www.campuscats.org

Old December 9th 03, 11:31 AM
Phil P.

"Kalyahna" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote in message

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
It would be great to get help with vet costs for altering pets, but no
vet would ever go along with mandatory altering without owners'
consent.

There are low income assistance programs available at some shelters, and
we've had some success in getting landlords to require spay/neuter instead
of declaw on resident cats.

Before we finalize an adoption to renters, we check with the landlord to
make sure pets are allowed and if there are any conditions. We won't
approve an adoption if the cat must be declawed.

I've sent my declaw brochure to a few landlords who allowed only declawed
and neutered cats... After reading the brochure, a few have changed their
policies

http://maxshouse.com/facts_about_declawing.htm

http://maxshouse.com/Declaw_Brochure-2.pdf

Print the fronts (page 1), tumble the paper and print the backs. Trim 1/4
in. off the long ends (landscape) - Its a triple-fold brochure that fits
into #10 envelopes and plastic (credit card) application holders.

Btw, I think most (if not all) large shelters DO alter before an animal is
made available for adoption, or at the very least before they go home.

With early-age neutering becoming more popular with vets, kittens can now be
neutered by the time they're ready for adoption.

Phil

Old December 9th 03, 11:34 AM
M.C. Mullen

| Btw, I think most (if not all) large shelters DO alter before an animal is
| made available for adoption, or at the very least before they go home. I
| know a few middle-of-nowhere shelters that do this as well, even though
the
| animals have to be transported an hour each way to get the surgery done.
| We're lucky enough to have a fantastic vet school in town, and some of the
| students come in and even spay and neuter rats for us, now and then.

When I got our new cat at the shelter I was surprised to learn that the cats
available were injected and wormed, yes, but only the males were neutered.
Females and males were the same price though. Strange isn't it?

Carola

Old December 10th 03, 01:34 AM
lakinapook

I know the non profit no kill shelters will spay or neuter the animal
before adoption if possible, if not, then you can bring the animal in
at a later time and have them altered for no additional adoption fee.
I believe that our local Humane Society has the same policy. A friend
of mine adopted from there and brought her cat back to be spayed.

Old December 10th 03, 07:00 PM
Joe Pitt

The SPCA in my area, Central Florida, stopped doing that. They found that
although there was no additional cost they animals weren't being altered.
Then people brought in the kittens (and puppies) from the animal they were
supposed to get altered. Now EVERYTHING is altered before going out the
door. You pick out your new friend and come back in a day or two to pick
them up.

--
Joe
http://www.jwpitt.com/cats.htm

om...

Old December 12th 03, 05:08 AM
dkar

I couldn't agree more, Phil. Society likes to come up with words to hide
what they don't want to think about.

....like "pro choice" instead of "killing".

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Joe Pitt" wrote in message
. ..
I attended a presentation about stopping the killing of cats (and dogs)

in
animal control facilities. He emphasised that you euthanize an animal

that
is SICK. What is happening in shelters all over is they are KILLING
perfectly fine animals because they are unwanted, often due to the

failure
to spay and neuter their parents. The general public sees 'euthanized'

and
it softens what is happening in their minds.

I see postings that say you adopted the day before the animal was due to

be
euthanized. Tell people you adopted just before the animal was due to be
KILLED.

It may seem a small thing, but when you talk to people it may help their
awareness of the problem.

Maybe if everyone used the correct terms that describes exactly what it

is,
more people would be outraged and sickened enough to force legislation to
eliminate it -- like mandatory neuter before adoption or sale (health
permiting) and subsidize vets or give them a tax deduction for neutering

all
animals in their care regardless of the owners' consent or ability to pay.

I use the terms "excecute", "put to death", "slaughter"... because they
stick in peoples' throats and are much harder to swallow than "put to

sleep"
or euthanize" or "put down".

Old December 17th 03, 12:33 AM
Sharon Talbert

Same with the City of Seattle shelter. They gave up the "prepaid" spay a
couple of decades ago and moved to "early" sterilization, with kittens and
puppies done by 8 weeks. (Younger animals are fostered until they are
adoption age.)

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats